OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 09:19:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Training in Iconography...  (Read 1296 times) Average Rating: 0
francis-christopher
Banned
Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Richmond

St. Francis pray for us!

« on: October 22, 2006, 10:46:33 PM »

In nomine Iesu I offer you all peace,

As an 'artist' I have always admired and studied fondly Orthodox Iconography.

I wonder if anyone knows any centers whom train individual artists to 'write' Icons in the States?

Pax

Francisce-Christophorus

Sancte Francisce, athleta Christi, ora pro nobis. Amen.
zebu
Mot à ta mère!
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

aimovoroi tourkoi!

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 11:24:50 PM »

Nope, there aren't any.  There are teachers, but there aren't any schools set up to learn.  You just have to search for an iconographer who will teach you, or oftentimes churches offer classes in iconography.

Жизнь прожить не поле перейти
Marat
Elder

Faith: Catholic reinvestigating the Orthodox Church

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 04:14:38 PM »

Nope, there aren't any.  There are teachers, but there aren't any schools set up to learn.  You just have to search for an iconographer who will teach you, or oftentimes churches offer classes in iconography.

Zebu, how did you find yours? Did you just ask around at church or what?
zebu
Mot à ta mère!
Elder

aimovoroi tourkoi!

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 09:23:43 PM »

I complained loudly one day at coffee hour that I couldn't find an iconography teacher, and someone gave me the phone number of an iconographer they knew.  I called her, and she didnt call me back. SO, I asked my priest, and he knew her, so he called her and basically told her to call me back(and we all know how you cannot say no to an Orthodox priest, lol), so she called me back.  In the end, she started an iconography class at my parish, which is still going on now.  Then I also found another one via the internet, but she turned out to be weird and I am forbidden to even speak to her anymore......So yeah! There ya go!

Chacci

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 10:18:57 PM »

The Saint Stephen's course has a new track in Byzantine Iconcology.  I'm not certain how good it is.
Hladna

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 10:30:50 PM »

Forgive me if I intrude, especially since this is from a new poster  Embarrassed  but I have a suggestion:  Look at A Brush with God:  An Icon Workbook  by Peter Pearson  (Harrisburg: Morehouse, 2005).  It covers tools, techniques, paints, and has templates and further readings along with interesting commentary.  If you are already an artist you will understand more of the book than I do, a mere dabbler!

I got it online from Monastery Greetings, (not Monastery Icons!) but don't have the address handy.  If you need it let me know and I will look it up and post it for you.

I know you said you want a real class and teacher, but maybe this can "tide you over" until you find one.  Anyway, I wish you luck in your endeavor.

zebu
Mot à ta mère!
Elder

aimovoroi tourkoi!

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 10:32:38 PM »

You would have to be pretty darn committed to learn iconography without a teacher, it's not easy and you would mess up a lot and probably wouldn't be able to pick up on your own mistakes.  Definitely you need a teacher.  A book will not do it.

Tags: icons 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: