Author Topic: Training in Iconography...  (Read 1337 times)

Offline francis-christopher

• Elder
  • St. Francis pray for us!
Training in Iconography...
« on: October 22, 2006, 10:46:33 PM »
In nomine Iesu I offer you all peace,

As an 'artist' I have always admired and studied fondly Orthodox Iconography.

I wonder if anyone knows any centers whom train individual artists to 'write' Icons in the States?

Pax
Francisce-Christophorus

Sancte Francisce, athleta Christi, ora pro nobis. Amen.

Offline zebu

• Mot à ta mère!
  • Elder
  • aimovoroi tourkoi!
Re: Training in Iconography...
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 11:24:50 PM »
Nope, there aren't any.  There are teachers, but there aren't any schools set up to learn.  You just have to search for an iconographer who will teach you, or oftentimes churches offer classes in iconography.
Жизнь прожить не поле перейти

Offline Marat

• Elder
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 04:14:38 PM »
Nope, there aren't any.  There are teachers, but there aren't any schools set up to learn.  You just have to search for an iconographer who will teach you, or oftentimes churches offer classes in iconography.

Zebu, how did you find yours? Did you just ask around at church or what?

Offline zebu

• Mot à ta mère!
  • Elder
  • aimovoroi tourkoi!
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 09:23:43 PM »
I complained loudly one day at coffee hour that I couldn't find an iconography teacher, and someone gave me the phone number of an iconographer they knew.  I called her, and she didnt call me back. SO, I asked my priest, and he knew her, so he called her and basically told her to call me back(and we all know how you cannot say no to an Orthodox priest, lol), so she called me back.  In the end, she started an iconography class at my parish, which is still going on now.  Then I also found another one via the internet, but she turned out to be weird and I am forbidden to even speak to her anymore......So yeah! There ya go!

Offline Chacci

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 10:18:57 PM »
The Saint Stephen's course has a new track in Byzantine Iconcology.  I'm not certain how good it is.

Offline Hladna

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 10:30:50 PM »
     Forgive me if I intrude, especially since this is from a new poster  :-[  but I have a suggestion:  Look at A Brush with God:  An Icon Workbook  by Peter Pearson  (Harrisburg: Morehouse, 2005).  It covers tools, techniques, paints, and has templates and further readings along with interesting commentary.  If you are already an artist you will understand more of the book than I do, a mere dabbler!

I got it online from Monastery Greetings, (not Monastery Icons!) but don't have the address handy.  If you need it let me know and I will look it up and post it for you.

I know you said you want a real class and teacher, but maybe this can "tide you over" until you find one.  Anyway, I wish you luck in your endeavor.

Offline zebu

• Mot à ta mère!
  • Elder
  • aimovoroi tourkoi!
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 10:32:38 PM »
You would have to be pretty darn committed to learn iconography without a teacher, it's not easy and you would mess up a lot and probably wouldn't be able to pick up on your own mistakes.  Definitely you need a teacher.  A book will not do it.