OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 02:23:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Possible Ministry to Children as a part of Liturgy  (Read 1586 times) Average Rating: 0
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« on: October 20, 2006, 03:38:24 PM »

So I tried asking this in another topic, but I never got a response.  I'd really like to get some opinions on this and if anyone thinks that it would work.  Here is the original thread: 

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,9884.15.html

Here it is in writing: 

Do any of you like the idea of the priest having something in Liturgy that the little children could be a part of? 

I was thinking maybe the priest could gather all of the children (and parents) at the end of Liturgy and let them hold religious items such as the blessing cross, etc.

This way they can get accustomed to seeing things, and experiencing the church but in their own way? 

Just wondering...

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 03:50:48 PM »

It seems like a good idea to me.
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 04:11:48 PM »

I think its great!

As an aside according to Psalti Boy I should ask if you're Orthodox.  Are you Orthodox brother Serb? Grin

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
authio
Elder

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 05:26:02 PM »

I think a big part of making 'Orthodoxy their own' is letting the kids feel like they belong in God's Church.  I mean, if parents are shushing their kids all the time, then it's no good for the kids - it's more like a museum.  I like the idea of integrating kids....I guess I just don't see how it can logistically work within the Tradition.  I'm also not a parent  Shocked

Christ is risen!
Cristo ha resucitado!
Христос Воскресе!
Χριστός Ανέστη!
 المسيح قام
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 12:10:23 AM »

I think its great!

As an aside according to Psalti Boy I should ask if you're Orthodox.  Are you Orthodox brother Serb? Grin

Sorry its really late and things have been pretty busy for me.  Are you genuinly asking me?  Or are you sarcasticly poking fun?  Sorry for being slow   Smiley

* ( I'm assuming sarcasm... Wink )

Here is the way that I see it working out: 

At the end of Liturgy, after "Through the Prayers of our Holy Fathers..." the parents with their children walk up to the front of the church, and the priest spends like 5 minutes with all of the children and just plays with them. 

Maybe he lets them hold his blessing cross, or maybe he can bring out a relic, or something which the little ones can touch or "play" with.  This might be a good opportunity to distribute communion of someone missed (hint: parents). 

If the kids have something like this to look forward to every sunday, I think that would be really special.  The priest can show them his vestments, or ANYTHING.  Icons...etc. 

I also like the idea of it being open, in the sense that the entire church can see that this is going on, and that the children are "active" in the church.  It also is a sort of private ministry as well, because the children are the ones who are being ministered to. 

There are a lot of "what if's" that follow this, which I would love to hear...but this is my basic idea.  Any feedback?

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 08:55:14 AM »

Serb1389

Sarcasm.  Wink

I think this is an excellent topic. I have to give it some thought.

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2006, 11:09:10 AM »

Our older kids serve as altar boys and the girls help distribute the antidoron after communion. After age 7, kids can sing in the choir, and I know one little girl who has been waiting since she was 2.5 to start singing. Our kids have Sunday school before Liturgy, have the Proskomedia done in the nave once a year to teach them about it, and as one little boy proved, have no qualms about running up the center at the end of Liturgy during announcements (Fr. picked him up and told everyone that this little one knew where he belonged, headed towards the ambo--he's the grandson of a priest.) We dont have pews, and so kids move around somewhat. They go to their favorite people to get picked up. At the beginning of church, they light candles and wait to be picked up to kiss the icons. I know of some parishes that will have a short children's sermon right after the main sermon to involve kids. Teaching the little ones is a good idea---but it gets done at my parish without any real "extras".
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 11:09:39 AM by choirfiend » Logged

Qui cantat, bis orat
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2006, 11:52:44 AM »

A lady in our parish has suggested that girs be organized into  a "handmaiden's guild" to learn how to bake prosfora, Artos bread, make communion cloths, assist in beautification of the Temple.  That could easily be opened to letting Father educate them during their meetings about the things of the church.  I had never thought about letting them hold the offering basket after the service or the antidorin, I'll suggest that to father.

In Christ,
Thomas
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 09:45:52 AM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
BoredMeeting
Loving the Life of a Council Member
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox/OCA

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 01:19:59 PM »

There are some easy ways to do this without making any real changes. One of the parishes I've attended included a few things towards this end, including:
  • On the week of the child's birthday, they would come up to just outside the altar, stand with the priest, and have the parish sing Many Years (the kids really felt special).
  • Allow children other than the altar servers hold the bread being distributed at the dismissal
  • Have one child hold a special charity box next to the bread (special charity events, sunday school, etc.)
Tags: children liturgy 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: