OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 03:48:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do Serbs (et al.) hate the diaspora?  (Read 1433 times) Average Rating: 0
CRCulver
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Finland and Romanian Orthodox Church

St Stephen of Perm, missionary to speakers of Komi

« on: October 25, 2006, 03:49:39 PM »

On one (non-religious) forum I participate in, there's one rather loud Serbian fellow who, whenever Orthodoxy comes up, always claims that his country represents true Orthodoxy and that the diaspora has gone astray. The example he gives is that in the U.S. the Serbian Church allows marriage between an Orthodox and a non-Orthodox Christian. This example seems rather lame, as both the Romanian Orthodox Church and the Russian Orthodox Church allow intermarriage. Anyway, is this a common opinion in Serbia?

In Romania (can't speak for Finland yet), I don't think people have any kind of opinion about Orthodoxy in America, except that it's nice that the faith attracts converts. I'm just amazed that this Serb has such strong opinions.

And my question is not limited just to Serbs, but to all "old-country" Orthodox: do you have any especial dislike of the diaspora?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 04:10:21 PM by CRCulver » Logged
BoredMeeting
Loving the Life of a Council Member
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox/OCA

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 04:42:04 PM »

Maybe it's because I was raised in the United States, but that's all news to this Serb.
CRCulver
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 04:43:50 PM »

Maybe it's because I was raised in the United States, but that's all news to this Serb.

That's why I was hoping to hear the impressions of a Serb living in Serbia. Don't know how many we have on this board.
Sloga
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 05:33:16 PM »

uh no? You could actually debate the contrary. No offense, but I find this a pointless question, we cant generalize. I'm sure there are serbians who hate serb disapora, for whatever reason they wish to, but I believe the vast majority dont. Maybe some are jealous we were able to leave and go to more prosperous countries and they were not, but I have never met a person that hates me because of it. I do dislike much of the serbian disapora here in Canada though, because they act like patriots but actually know nothing of serbia or orthodoxy. "True Orthodoxy in Serbia" is a topic that can be debated. The faith is only going downhill there, and once Kosovo seperates and people begin to accept it, it can only get worse.

Христе Боже, Распети и Свети!

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic
CRCulver
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 05:45:32 PM »

Let's please keep this debate limited to the old-country opinon about the validity of Orthodox practise in the diaspora, not political beliefs.
Sloga
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 06:11:44 PM »

Why? this completely interacts with your question. If I were you. I would ask him if he was so "Orthodox", to go move with his family and live in Kosovo. Everyone knows Orthodoxy is different in non-orthodox countries such as Canada and the US, where we are a definite minority. We struggle to not be assimilated by conversion and atheism. This results in either a "less orthodox" person or a more "resiliant orthodox".
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 06:15:18 PM by Sloga » Logged

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic
CRCulver
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 06:15:03 PM »

Why? this completely interacts with your question. If I were you. I would ask him if he was so "Orthodox", to go move with his family and live in Kosovo.

That would be to assume that the preservation of Kosovo within Serbia is a religious duty, and I'm not convinced it is. But I've argued that on other threads. Let's keep to the topic in the OP, please.
Sloga
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 06:30:58 PM »

Anyway, is this a common opinion in Serbia?
Maybe some may believe that, but I highly doubt it is the majority.

And my question is not limited just to Serbs, but to all "old-country" Orthodox: do you have any especial dislike of the diaspora?

I dislike the serbian diaspora that have become assimilated so easily, or pretend to be something they are not but at the same time I understand why this happens a lot. People work sundays, theism is nearly frowned upon here (they inject "shame" into you for believing in God) and improper education about your cradle faith. All this leads to the un-Orthodoxation of the diaspora. But really, I think people in Serbia can also understand that.

SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 07:53:26 AM »

Actually, I think it is probably the minority opinion in Serbia.

Truth be told, most Serbs in Serbia probably envy diaspora Serbs, but not for their Orthodoxy.  I'm not sure that there is a pervasive attitude that either they are "more" Orthodox or we are "more" Orthodox.  I think we are one and I think most recognize that reality.

I have family in Belgrade and I have never had this opinion conveyed to me.

Two of my best friends are recent immigrants to the USA and I certainly think they believe the opposite to be true.

It's tough to generalize the question, but I think overall, diaspora Serbs and "native" Serbs agree on most things political and religious.

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 10:50:21 AM »

Well, I will say that one of the two Men's Slavonic choirs I'm a member of is having a concert this Sunday and we had a "dress rehearsal" at the Serbian Church where the concert will be.  Fr. Marco was doing Vespers beforehand for St. Parasceva all by his lonesome when I walked in a few minutes into it.  Nice priest.  This is St. John the Baptist in San Francisco.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: