OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 01:08:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: intro  (Read 1657 times) Average Rating: 0
kamikat

« on: October 18, 2006, 04:57:04 PM »

Just wanted to say hi, since I'm new around here.
I was raised Roman Catholic, left as a teen to get involved in drugs and Wicca.  When I got clean, I left Wicca, but tried everything else, Hare Krishna, Buddhism, Islam, everything BUT Christianity.  Eventually I settled into agnosticism, then atheism.  One Sunday, I woke up with an urge to go to church, found myself in a church of Christ, got saved and "rebaptized".  After a year, I begn having questions that the preacher couldn't answer and found myself back in the RCC.  It never really touched my soul and I was never happy.  The priest set up road blocks to having my children baptized and my marriage convalidated.  I was having issues with many teachings.  I knew in my heart that I didn't want my children raised Catholic, but didn't know where to turn.  I tried a Divine Liturgy, but was then afraid to leave Catholicism.  I began reading and wound up confused about the schism, since the Orthodox hiistorian portrayed it differently than what I had learned in Catholic school.  I became depressed and questioned my faith.  I met with a priest from each church and was even more confused and stopped going to church.  Then, a close aunt, who was an atheist, died.  Her funeral was an eye opener.  All her friends were trying to be hopeful and about her afterlife without discussing God.  I knew that i needed to made a decision.  I tried an Anglican church, but knew right away, it was not the answer.  After a couple more masses, I tried a Divine Liturgy at another church, and it was RIGHT.  I met with the priest and we discussed many difficult issues.  A month or so later, Great Lent started.  On Clean Monday. I attended Great Compline and I spent the night in tears and on my knees.  I knew then that that was where I was supposed to be.  I became a catechumen that Friday.  It's been a hard road, but I now think I'm ready to be chrismated.  Father says that once I have a sponsor, we can set a date.
kamikat
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 05:08:22 PM »

Welcome to OC.net, Kamikat.  Yes, they even let people like me post here.  Wink

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
dantxny
OC.net Mineshaft gap
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 05:12:59 PM »

Howdy Kamikat,
It's good to see you here and hopefully you wont be turned away by our squabbles on OC.net.  that said, I hope you enjoy it here and you'll be in my prayers.
Daniel

"If you give the average Frenchman a choice between a reforming president who would plug the country's huge deficit and a good cheese, he would probably opt for the cheese." - Stephen Clarke
I think the French may be on to something here.
Sloga
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 05:15:25 PM »

welcome to OC.net...great plays for questions and discussions...and anything on the side Wink

Sloga

Христе Боже, Распети и Свети!

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 05:19:11 PM »

welcome to OC.net...great plays for questions and discussions...and anything on the side Wink

Sloga

Tolkien!!!!

Grin

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 08:57:26 AM »

Dear kamikat,

Welcome to the OC.Net! and to the Convert Forum of the OC.Net.  Feel free to discuss your concerns and convert issues with us.  We have many converts on the board who will help  you thru those tough early months of the faith as you explore the richness of Orthodoxy and orthopraxis (Living the orthodox life). Welcome!

In Christ,
Thomas
Convert Forum moderator

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
KATHXOYMENOC

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 10:04:49 AM »

Just wanted to say hi, since I'm new around here.
I was raised Roman Catholic, left as a teen to get involved in drugs and Wicca.  When I got clean, I left Wicca, but tried everything else, Hare Krishna, Buddhism, Islam, everything BUT Christianity.  Eventually I settled into agnosticism, then atheism.  One Sunday, I woke up with an urge to go to church, found myself in a church of Christ, got saved and "rebaptized".  After a year, I begn having questions that the preacher couldn't answer and found myself back in the RCC.  It never really touched my soul and I was never happy.  The priest set up road blocks to having my children baptized and my marriage convalidated.  I was having issues with many teachings.  I knew in my heart that I didn't want my children raised Catholic, but didn't know where to turn.  I tried a Divine Liturgy, but was then afraid to leave Catholicism.  I began reading and wound up confused about the schism, since the Orthodox hiistorian portrayed it differently than what I had learned in Catholic school.  I became depressed and questioned my faith.  I met with a priest from each church and was even more confused and stopped going to church.  Then, a close aunt, who was an atheist, died.  Her funeral was an eye opener.  All her friends were trying to be hopeful and about her afterlife without discussing God.  I knew that i needed to made a decision.  I tried an Anglican church, but knew right away, it was not the answer.  After a couple more masses, I tried a Divine Liturgy at another church, and it was RIGHT.  I met with the priest and we discussed many difficult issues.  A month or so later, Great Lent started.  On Clean Monday. I attended Great Compline and I spent the night in tears and on my knees.  I knew then that that was where I was supposed to be.  I became a catechumen that Friday.  It's been a hard road, but I now think I'm ready to be chrismated.  Father says that once I have a sponsor, we can set a date.
kamikat

Hello, kamikat! Nice to see you over here, too. You're a bit ahead of me, as I still have my waverings back and forth, as you've read at CF. God bless you as you prepare for your chrismation. Smiley

KYPIOCIHCOYCXPICTOC
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 12:23:35 PM »

Welcome! You sound like you took a path to Orthodoxy very similar to mine.  I hope you enjoy the forum, and dont forget to check out the family section since you have kids!!!!

Aurelia
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006, 02:53:20 PM »

Many years and welcome on behalf of all the Serbs and wannabe Serbs on this site.

Dan

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
Panagiotis
Libertarian/Orthodox/Lush
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Phanar

Advocating Liberty Since 1973

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006, 06:14:58 PM »

Christ is in our midst! Welcome to the rest of your life and journey into the Church Of Christ and His Apostles. May you be blessed and congratualtions on your newfound love with God!

Blessings and prayers for your future,
Panagiotis

P.S. If you ever need any questions, please feel free to ask anyone here, or browse through the old threads. Inbetween some mindless banter are some jewels of wisdom and knowledge.

"The first condition for the establishment of perpetual peace is the general adoption of the principles of laissez-faire capitalism"
-Ludwig Von Mises
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: