OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 08:09:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: confession  (Read 2417 times) Average Rating: 0
Zoe
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« on: October 17, 2006, 12:39:13 PM »

I'm looking for the text (appropriate word?) for confession and having a hard time.  Can someone link me to somewhere that has it?

Thanksss

NI!!!!!!
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 03:19:00 PM »

*Ruffles brow*

You mean Confession to a Priest, or Confession to God at home? I was tought by my priest to come into confession if I really needed it, but simply talking to God at home was enough.

Ill look around for some prayers, though.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
Zoe
Elder

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 04:34:44 PM »

I mean confession to a priest -- what we read before the confession is heard, and after the confession is heard.

NI!!!!!!
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 04:50:34 PM »

http://www.orthodox.net/confess/index.html

A few links on that page are not working, but its quite substantial.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
Sloga
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 04:53:02 PM »

If you dont mind, I'd also like to see the official text for confession at home..if there is any?

Христе Боже, Распети и Свети!

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 05:42:46 PM »

Hm. Im having a hard time finding them in that case. I have quite a few in one of my prayer books given to me during my days as a Catechumen. If you want, I can PM you them or e-mail them to you in a document.

Zoe
Elder

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 10:13:10 PM »

That is a good site, and I've read through it before, but it's not what I'm looking for.  I'm looking for what the priest reads before confession, what the responses for the confessant are, and what the priest reads afterwards for absolving.

NI!!!!!!
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 11:14:00 PM »

*Ruffles brow*

You mean Confession to a Priest, or Confession to God at home? I was tought by my priest to come into confession if I really needed it, but simply talking to God at home was enough.

Ill look around for some prayers, though.
Shocked What?!!!!

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 12:21:08 AM »

Shocked What?!!!!

I echo that.  Sounds like a rather liberal priest unfortunately.
Psalti Boy
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2006, 02:50:32 AM »

. . . but simply talking to God at home was enough.

I'll drink to that.  Ouzo please!!!
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2006, 07:32:45 AM »

I'll drink to that.  Ouzo please!!!

Metaxa for me, please.  Cheesy

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Zoe
Elder

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2006, 09:13:51 AM »

Maybe if I drink enough of each I'll forget that I wanted the texts?

Grin

NI!!!!!!
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2006, 10:23:26 AM »

We must confess our thoughts to Christ every day at home and we must daily repent of our sins.  But regular confession is a must--you need it about once a month for most people--and it should not be looked at as a burden but rather as a blessing. You don't get ahead in your job without performance reviews so how are you going to progress spiritually without external support and verification? Smiley

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2006, 12:14:51 PM »

We must confess our thoughts to Christ every day at home and we must daily repent of our sins.  But regular confession is a must--you need it about once a month for most people--and it should not be looked at as a burden but rather as a blessing. You don't get ahead in your job without performance reviews so how are you going to progress spiritually without external support and verification? Smiley
Do you guys confess all of your sins? Are you bound to confess the serious one's at least? What kinda of focus do you have in confession? Catholics must confess all of our mortal sins, those that cut off the divine life in us. I know that the Eastern Orthodox have no concept of mortal and venial sin in their theology, so I was just wondering how confession works for you guys.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2006, 12:32:14 PM »

From what I read on that website I posted earlier, you dont specify unless asked.

zebu
Mot à ta mère!
Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

aimovoroi tourkoi!

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2006, 06:30:28 PM »

Do you guys confess all of your sins? Are you bound to confess the serious one's at least? What kinda of focus do you have in confession? Catholics must confess all of our mortal sins, those that cut off the divine life in us. I know that the Eastern Orthodox have no concept of mortal and venial sin in their theology, so I was just wondering how confession works for you guys.
We confess all of our sins, for the most part.  Sometimes a person might go to confession just for a specific issue, but normally you would go to confess EVERYTHING.  After all, we don't always see how awful some of the things we do are.  I have sometimes done things that I thought were not anything to worry about, but the priest was very concerned about them, and he turned out to be right. 

Жизнь прожить не поле перейти
Tags: confession 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: