OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 06:08:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestion for books  (Read 1374 times) Average Rating: 0
prayingserb

ЧУВА БОГ СРБИНА СВОГ

« on: October 13, 2006, 10:45:46 PM »

I have spent the last few weeks looking for books in libraries on the orthodox belief, and the only book I have found was one on the history, which really isn't what i'm after.

I was hoping I could have some reccomendations for books that focus on the orthodox belief, and i'm hoping it will really give me the orthodox mindset. Even books written in serbian will be fine, for you serb members on this site.

Thanks!
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 11:37:31 PM »

I was hoping I could have some reccomendations for books that focus on the orthodox belief, and i'm hoping it will really give me the orthodox mindset. Even books written in serbian will be fine, for you serb members on this site.

I fully and completely understand your sentiments, but.....

you will never acquire an 'orthodox mindset' by reading.

This mindset is acquired through living your life in the Church; praying and fasting, worshippping and experiencing the Church and her members.

You're not the only one who has tried to do this, and that's why I'm telling you: an orthodox mindset is acquired through experiences, not reading.

Still, given that you're starting out, The Orthodox Way by Bp. Kallistos is a decent start (I much refer it to The Orthodox Church). Reading hagiographies is also recommended (something more intense than the Poulos series, though). The cool thing about reading of the lives of the saints are that eventually you will find one that speaks to you, and you profit immensely from this experience---learning how this saint lived his or her life, and struggled.

Remember, though---speak to your priest and keep in contact with him during this time! It is these experiences you will find most profitable.

+Fr. Chris

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
prayingserb

ЧУВА БОГ СРБИНА СВОГ

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 12:07:03 AM »

forgive me for being a little ignorant. What I really meant is I would like to understand what it really means to intercede to saints, mary, infant baptism etc (enough to accept it). But then again, maybe even by reading I will still not understand it fully, only by experience?

Thank you for your advice though, I will try and find a copy of 'The Orthodox Way' and quite possibly find out much more about our saint for slava, saint Dimitrija.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 12:12:09 AM by prayingserb » Logged
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 12:25:24 AM »

By the types of things you are having issues with it seems that you have been listening to or speaking with Protestants/Non-Denominationalists/Free-Churchers, so I'd suggest a book geared towards Protestants even though you are from an Orthodox background.  I'd try The Way: What Every Protestant Should Know About the Orthodox Church by Clark Carlton

http://www.amazon.com/Way-Protestant-Orthodox-Church-Catechism/dp/0964914123/sr=8-1/qid=1160799787/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-0254817-5611926?ie=UTF8

He also has a book called The Faith which is an explanation of Orthodoxy for Orthodox.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Marat
Elder

Faith: Catholic reinvestigating the Orthodox Church

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 05:56:27 PM »

By the types of things you are having issues with it seems that you have been listening to or speaking with Protestants/Non-Denominationalists/Free-Churchers, so I'd suggest a book geared towards Protestants even though you are from an Orthodox background.  I'd try The Way: What Every Protestant Should Know About the Orthodox Church by Clark Carlton

http://www.amazon.com/Way-Protestant-Orthodox-Church-Catechism/dp/0964914123/sr=8-1/qid=1160799787/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-0254817-5611926?ie=UTF8

He also has a book called The Faith which is an explanation of Orthodoxy for Orthodox.

Anastasios

Respecfully, I'd like to make a statement to use caution with Clark Carlton. I haven't read his book The Way, but I have read The Truth and it can be rather harsh. It talks rather condescendingly about Catholics, topping its criticism with the statement that Catholics know a different Christ than do the Orthodox (pg 187). The man at the bookstore (http://www.christthelightgiver.com/) told me The Way is very harsh and he doesn't recommend it to share with Protestants. That being said, the book I read, The Truth, does have some good info in it. You just have to put up with the tone while you read it.

This is just the opinion of one, well two, readers. You mileage may vary.
KATHXOYMENOC

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006, 06:43:43 PM »

A more irenic (peaceful) book for understanding Orthodoxy that doesn't engage in the anti-Protestant and anti-Catholic polemics that some books do is:

COMMON GROUND: An Introduction to Eastern Christianity for the American Christian by Jordan Bajis.

Even though Bajis, who studied at St. Vladimir's, now pastors a non-canonical, quasi-Orthodox/Charismatic Church in Colorado, what he writes in his book is good, and Light & Life, the Orthodox Publisher of the book, continues to endorse and recommend it highly:

"Provides clear, stimulating answers to the challenging questions that American Christians typically put to Orthodox. But the book goes farther than this. Common Ground begins by showing how Christianity is inherently Eastern, and from there, gently challenges the Protestant and Roman Catholic reader to re-evalute his or her own views of Christianity against the Orthodox perspective. Common Ground is perfect for the Western Christian interested in Ancient Faith, the sincere student of Orthodoxy, and the mission minded Eastern Christian who desires to communicate his faith in a sensitive but compelling manner. The book is a product of three years extensive research and is thoroughly documented. Common Ground definitely helps fill the need for Orthodox literature which can address the concerns of the American Christian. There is no book like it. Revised and expanded.0 5th printing."
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 06:46:10 PM by KATHXOYMENOC » Logged

KYPIOCIHCOYCXPICTOC
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2006, 06:58:30 PM »

When I was Catholic, I enjoyed Carlton and found him to be more grounded than for instance Michael Whelton (who I enjoyed AFTER converting to be Orthodox since I then agreed with him LOL, or maybe I was not ready to accept what he had to say back then).  That's why I recommended him; I didn't think he was that hardcore.  Sometimes it's hard to be nice when talking to Protestants I find; while as everyone on this site knows I am an advocate of being respectful of other people and their positions, I myself have a hard time sometimes when people accuse us of Mary worship, etc., and I cannot in any way relate to evangelical Protestantism, which even when I was Lutheran, seemed absolutely bizarre and unhistorical to me and my family.  So I'm sorry if you thought the book was harsh; I never found it to be but I guess we have different ideas of what "harsh" is.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Marat
Elder

Faith: Catholic reinvestigating the Orthodox Church

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2006, 02:08:29 AM »

When I was Catholic, I enjoyed Carlton and found him to be more grounded than for instance Michael Whelton (who I enjoyed AFTER converting to be Orthodox since I then agreed with him LOL, or maybe I was not ready to accept what he had to say back then).  That's why I recommended him; I didn't think he was that hardcore.  Sometimes it's hard to be nice when talking to Protestants I find; while as everyone on this site knows I am an advocate of being respectful of other people and their positions, I myself have a hard time sometimes when people accuse us of Mary worship, etc., and I cannot in any way relate to evangelical Protestantism, which even when I was Lutheran, seemed absolutely bizarre and unhistorical to me and my family.  So I'm sorry if you thought the book was harsh; I never found it to be but I guess we have different ideas of what "harsh" is.

Anastasios

This is the nicest disagreement of opinions I've ever had in an online forum. Smiley
Tags: Convert Books 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: