Author Topic: Orthodox priest killed in Iraq  (Read 2996 times)

Offline Marat

• Elder
Orthodox priest killed in Iraq
« on: October 12, 2006, 03:50:37 PM »
MOSUL, Iraq Relatives of an Orthodox priest who was kidnapped and found beheaded three days later said Thursday that his captors had demanded his church condemn the pope's recent comments about Islam and pay a US$350,000 (€280,000) ransom.

more at this link

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/10/12/africa/ME_GEN_Iraq_Beheaded_Priest.php

http://www.asianews.it/view.php?l=en&art=7463

I don't know what to say.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 03:51:18 PM by Marat »

Offline Brian

Re: Orthodox priest killed in Iraq
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 04:04:10 PM »
"Blessed are those who have been persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me.
"Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
(Matthew 5:10-12)

Offline FrChris

• The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
  • Site Supporter
  • Taxiarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 04:12:18 PM »
Eternal be his memory!

I believe, though, this is the same priest discussed in this thread on the Oriental Orthodox board:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,9922.msg134618.html#new
"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus

Offline Marat

• Elder
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 04:25:45 PM »
Eternal be his memory!

I believe, though, this is the same priest discussed in this thread on the Oriental Orthodox board:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,9922.msg134618.html#new

Whoops.. didn't mean to duplicate. It was posted on a Catholic board and I didn't see it here in the news section so I posted it.

Offline francis-christopher

• Elder
  • St. Francis pray for us!
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 05:22:57 PM »
Go forth, O Christian soul, out of this world, in the name of God the FAther almighty, Who created thee; in the name of Jesus Christ, the Son of the living God, Who suffered for thee; in the name of the Holy Ghost, Who sanctified thee; in the name of the holy and glorious Mary, Virgin and Mother of Godl in the name of the Angels, Archangels, Thrones, and Dominations, Cherubim and Seraphim; in the name of the Patriarchs and Prophets, of the holy Apostles and Evangelists, of the holy Martyrs, Confessors, Monks, and Hermits, of the holy Virgins, and of all the Saints of God; may thy place be this day in peace, and thine abode in holy Sion. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.
Francisce-Christophorus

Sancte Francisce, athleta Christi, ora pro nobis. Amen.

Offline Αριστοκλής

• Merarches
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 09:48:48 PM »
I'm too disgusted to give a rational response.

Prayers.
"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides

Offline Fr. David

• The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
  • Archon
    • Iglesia Ortodoxa de los Santos Apóstoles
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 03:23:05 AM »
Dear God.

Lord, have mercy. 

May his memory be eternal.
Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)

Offline Mattheos

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 02:50:06 AM »
May his memory be eternal, a new martyr of our Church.

It seems like the Pope's comment is correct, though!
NULL

Offline Simayan

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 03:41:54 PM »
"You're violent."

"No were not! We kill you!" *Insert Arab Battle cry with a scimitar*

May his memory be Eternal.
"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."

Offline ishaq

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006, 08:12:43 AM »
MOSUL, Iraq Relatives of an Orthodox priest who was kidnapped and found beheaded three days later said Thursday that his captors had demanded his church condemn the pope's recent comments about Islam and pay a US$350,000 (€280,000) ransom.

That priest was not Orthodox but Monophysite as he was attached to the Jacobite Church.

Offline Anastasios

• Webdespota
  • Administrator
  • Merarches
  • Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina
    • AnastasiosHudson.com
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2006, 09:23:10 AM »
That priest was not Orthodox but Monophysite as he was attached to the Jacobite Church.

Opinions vary on the relations between Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox (Non-Chalcedonians).  However, the Non-Chalcedonians reject the term Monophysite and at least a large number of Eastern Orthodox hierarchs have signed agreements with Non-Chalcedonians; as a result, on this forum, we do not throw the term around. You are free to hold any opinion you want and post here, but if you want to engage in polemics against Non-Chalcedonians, please visit the private folder I just signed you up for. The full set of rules are available in the subsection "Oriental Orthodox discussion" as well. Thank you.

Anastasios
Administrator
Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism and may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.

Offline BoredMeeting

• Loving the Life of a Council Member
  • High Elder
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2006, 09:27:01 AM »
Just the Muslims being true to their faith. These are the same folks that have the Serbs backed against the walls in Kosovo.

Offline Panagiotis

• Libertarian/Orthodox/Lush
  • Elder
  • Advocating Liberty Since 1973
    • The Two-Cent Philosopher
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2006, 10:12:15 AM »
Lord Have Mercy an May His Memory be Eternal.

Prayers,
Panagiotis

"The first condition for the establishment of perpetual peace is the general adoption of the principles of laissez-faire capitalism"
-Ludwig Von Mises

Offline aserb

• asinner
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2006, 02:55:26 PM »
May his memory be eternal!
Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!

Offline Serbian Patriot

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2006, 11:27:39 AM »
What deeply spiritual people his killers must be.  So wounded were they by the Popes remarks that only a ransom would have given them spiritual comfort.