OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 12:34:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox priest killed in Iraq  (Read 2845 times) Average Rating: 0
Marat
Elder

Faith: Catholic reinvestigating the Orthodox Church

« on: October 12, 2006, 03:50:37 PM »

MOSUL, Iraq Relatives of an Orthodox priest who was kidnapped and found beheaded three days later said Thursday that his captors had demanded his church condemn the pope's recent comments about Islam and pay a US$350,000 (€280,000) ransom.

more at this link

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/10/12/africa/ME_GEN_Iraq_Beheaded_Priest.php

http://www.asianews.it/view.php?l=en&art=7463

I don't know what to say.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 03:51:18 PM by Marat » Logged
Brian

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 04:04:10 PM »

"Blessed are those who have been persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me.
"Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
(Matthew 5:10-12)

FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 04:12:18 PM »

Eternal be his memory!

I believe, though, this is the same priest discussed in this thread on the Oriental Orthodox board:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,9922.msg134618.html#new

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Marat
Elder

Faith: Catholic reinvestigating the Orthodox Church

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 04:25:45 PM »

Eternal be his memory!

I believe, though, this is the same priest discussed in this thread on the Oriental Orthodox board:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,9922.msg134618.html#new

Whoops.. didn't mean to duplicate. It was posted on a Catholic board and I didn't see it here in the news section so I posted it.
francis-christopher
Banned
Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Richmond

St. Francis pray for us!

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 05:22:57 PM »

Go forth, O Christian soul, out of this world, in the name of God the FAther almighty, Who created thee; in the name of Jesus Christ, the Son of the living God, Who suffered for thee; in the name of the Holy Ghost, Who sanctified thee; in the name of the holy and glorious Mary, Virgin and Mother of Godl in the name of the Angels, Archangels, Thrones, and Dominations, Cherubim and Seraphim; in the name of the Patriarchs and Prophets, of the holy Apostles and Evangelists, of the holy Martyrs, Confessors, Monks, and Hermits, of the holy Virgins, and of all the Saints of God; may thy place be this day in peace, and thine abode in holy Sion. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.

Francisce-Christophorus

Sancte Francisce, athleta Christi, ora pro nobis. Amen.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 09:48:48 PM »

I'm too disgusted to give a rational response.

Prayers.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 03:23:05 AM »

Dear God.

Lord, have mercy. 

May his memory be eternal.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Mattheos

I'm a llama!

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 02:50:06 AM »

May his memory be eternal, a new martyr of our Church.

It seems like the Pope's comment is correct, though!

NULL
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 03:41:54 PM »

"You're violent."

"No were not! We kill you!" *Insert Arab Battle cry with a scimitar*

May his memory be Eternal.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
ishaq

Faith: Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Alexandria

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006, 08:12:43 AM »

MOSUL, Iraq Relatives of an Orthodox priest who was kidnapped and found beheaded three days later said Thursday that his captors had demanded his church condemn the pope's recent comments about Islam and pay a US$350,000 (€280,000) ransom.

That priest was not Orthodox but Monophysite as he was attached to the Jacobite Church.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2006, 09:23:10 AM »

That priest was not Orthodox but Monophysite as he was attached to the Jacobite Church.

Opinions vary on the relations between Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox (Non-Chalcedonians).  However, the Non-Chalcedonians reject the term Monophysite and at least a large number of Eastern Orthodox hierarchs have signed agreements with Non-Chalcedonians; as a result, on this forum, we do not throw the term around. You are free to hold any opinion you want and post here, but if you want to engage in polemics against Non-Chalcedonians, please visit the private folder I just signed you up for. The full set of rules are available in the subsection "Oriental Orthodox discussion" as well. Thank you.

Anastasios
Administrator

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
BoredMeeting
Loving the Life of a Council Member
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox/OCA

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2006, 09:27:01 AM »

Just the Muslims being true to their faith. These are the same folks that have the Serbs backed against the walls in Kosovo.
Panagiotis
Libertarian/Orthodox/Lush
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Phanar

Advocating Liberty Since 1973

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2006, 10:12:15 AM »

Lord Have Mercy an May His Memory be Eternal.

Prayers,
Panagiotis

"The first condition for the establishment of perpetual peace is the general adoption of the principles of laissez-faire capitalism"
-Ludwig Von Mises
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2006, 02:55:26 PM »

May his memory be eternal!

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
Serbian Patriot

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2006, 11:27:39 AM »

What deeply spiritual people his killers must be.  So wounded were they by the Popes remarks that only a ransom would have given them spiritual comfort.

Tags: persecution Islam 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: