OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 28, 2014, 01:59:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Italo-German Greek Coffee  (Read 2699 times) Average Rating: 0
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: October 12, 2006, 11:48:33 AM »

Not really....

But anyways...I was the booth head for the "Greek Coffee" booth at our food festival a month ago.  It seems that I have to relearn how to make it every year.  I got a refresher just two weeks before from a monk, and so I was able to pass the test of the visiting Greeks and other eastern euro/mediterranean types who would know when we didn't do it right.

So, wanting to take some leftover grounds home and make it myself, I have a dilemna.

1) I don't have the right type of cooking pot (the flask looking type).

2) My condo is all electric.

So, instead of further abusing this Macedonian guy's set of pots, his wife was able to find the right kind in the copperware section (if you can call it a "section" it is so small) at Cost Plus.  The problem is, their copper shippments are rather random in what they actually get it.

So, for the time being, I'm using an Italian frothing pitcher I bought from Bed, Bath & Beyond and pouring the coffee into my small German (Heidelberger Studenten Kuß) coffee cup.  I have to say though, that the last two cups I made (last week and this morning) came out with my foam looking picture perfect.

Please discuss German/Turkish/Arabic type coffee here.
sdcheung
it's as if..Saint Photios and Saint Mark Ephesus, has come back
Banned
OC.net guru

...even though Romania Falls, another will Rise...

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 12:16:32 PM »

Not really....

But anyways...I was the booth head for the "Greek Coffee" booth at our food festival a month ago.  It seems that I have to relearn how to make it every year.  I got a refresher just two weeks before from a monk, and so I was able to pass the test of the visiting Greeks and other eastern euro/mediterranean types who would know when we didn't do it right.

So, wanting to take some leftover grounds home and make it myself, I have a dilemna.

1) I don't have the right type of cooking pot (the flask looking type).

That would be called a Ibrik, Briki, cezve, ask for it in any Greek or middle Eastern grocery store.

2) My condo is all electric.

So, instead of further abusing this Macedonian guy's set of pots, his wife was able to find the right kind in the copperware section (if you can call it a "section" it is so small) at Cost Plus.  The problem is, their copper shippments are rather random in what they actually get it.

So, for the time being, I'm using an Italian frothing pitcher I bought from Bed, Bath & Beyond and pouring the coffee into my small German (Heidelberger Studenten Kuß) coffee cup.  I have to say though, that the last two cups I made (last week and this morning) came out with my foam looking picture perfect.

http://www.ineedcoffee.com/04/turkishcoffee/
http://www.natashascafe.com/html/foodncoffee.html
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 12:22:17 PM by sdcheung » Logged

Keep Breed Mixing, and this Maine Coon Cat will be the last of it's kind. /\
No profanities in your sig line if you're going to post in the public forum.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 12:36:39 PM »

Outraged, I tell you...I am outraged!!

I thought it had been well defined and understood on this forum that a certain type of coffee should only be refered to as 'T*****h'.

Anything else is taboo!

Where's SouthSerb when you need him....

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
sdcheung
Banned
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 12:39:08 PM »

I thought it had been well defined and understood on this forum that a certain type of coffee should only be refered to as 'T*****h'.

Anything else is taboo!

lol..
but sir..it's Greek, Turkish T*****h, Serbian, Bulgarian, Arabic, Skopian, Shiptar Coffee.
are you happy now?

No! Your post will be modified to indicate the societal norms of this board!

chris

Wink
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 12:42:37 PM by chris » Logged

sdcheung
Banned
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 12:59:23 PM »

How 'bout "Horsebackriding Islamified Altaic Mongolian barbarian" coffee?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 01:13:19 PM by sdcheung » Logged

FrChris
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 01:01:09 PM »

SD, your phrase is too hard to type!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
sdcheung
Banned
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 01:07:06 PM »

SD, your phrase is too hard to type!

It's the T...s scientific name.

dantxny
OC.net Mineshaft gap
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Russian

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 02:11:08 PM »

Turkish coffee tastes like mud. 
Boro na exo ena frappe me gala?

"If you give the average Frenchman a choice between a reforming president who would plug the country's huge deficit and a good cheese, he would probably opt for the cheese." - Stephen Clarke
I think the French may be on to something here.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006, 02:15:16 PM »

Good links.  Thanks.

More comments:

1) I guess we were still doing it wrong, as there was some discussion about to stir or not to stir, but our foam was looking good, which may have been more important.  I think the ibriks we used in past years (the Macedonian guy's) are brass (completely tarnished or need polishing) but similar shape to the copper ibriks.

2) The instructions in the link say to spoon off the foam.  I TOTALLY disagree with "spooning".  POUR it into the cup.  Spooning is just ghetto and would destroy some of the foam.  Only spoon it off if you hate it.  The natasha link says to pour.  Do this.

3) A week and a half ago, I stopped by a Greek festival in SF for an hour after singing in a concert at the Russian festival across town.  I watched this yaya making a big ibrik of coffee and she only heated it ONE time, it practically boiled over (cooked too much) and she spooned the foam.  It was virtually nonexistant in the cups she poured.  I was disappointed.  Maybe she was worn out since the festival lasted 3 days and this was towards the end of the 3rd day.

sdcheung,
In the ineedcoffee link, they guy says this:
"The coffee may be any roast but my personal favorites are Starbucks Breakfast Blend or the Turkish Blend from Natasha's Cafe."  Starbucks?  I understand that the grind is the important part - not necessarily the bean, but can Starbucks even grind it fine enough or can your local Safeway grinder grind it enough?  Thanks.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006, 02:35:49 PM »

Turkish coffee tastes like mud. 
Boro na exo ena frappe me gala?

Then try Greek or Egyptian styles - different bean and spice flavorings (chicory and coriander).

FrChris
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2006, 02:36:17 PM »

Because of my past three years, working at The Coffee Shop That Shall Not Be Named while I was at seminary, I also wound up making loukoumades and Elliniko Kafes at our recent festival. So, now that I have established my credentials, here's my responses:

1) Do not stir, or otherwise attempt to disrupt the foam formation within the heating container.

2) Pour. Spooning of the foam is nekulturny/ vlachoi.

3) Perhaps you were disappointed because the yiayia (please note the correct spelling) did everything I recommend a person should not do.

At The Coffeeshop That Shall Not be Named, which was located in a particular Boston suburb known for its ginormous Greek population, we would prepare the coffee for the yiayiades in this way:

1. Use French Roast---it's the most severely roasted coffee available at that chain. Breakfast Blend is way too mild!

2. Have it ground on the finest setting---it may even be labeled as T*****h on the grinder (unless you were at my shop, where I tore off that label and put in its place the 'Greek' setting, much ot the annoyance of the district manager)  Wink

I don't know if Safeway can grind it fine enough--that must be some kind of West Coast outfit, so they probably have no understanding of anything worthwhile or practical in the world (j/k). I have, though, ground other people's coffee when I was at TCSTSNBN, as it was explained to me corporate policy is to grind anyone's coffee upon the customer's request.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 02:37:15 PM by chris » Logged

dantxny
OC.net Mineshaft gap
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Russian

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006, 02:54:54 PM »

Actually, I don't care too much for Egyptian coffee either.  I do like Greek.  It has a good taste.  Nevertheless, my favourite coffee would be a tie between Italian or Albanian. 

Starbucks?  Good, but overated and way overpriced . . .  . of course, that is still where I buy my own coffee to make at home.

"If you give the average Frenchman a choice between a reforming president who would plug the country's huge deficit and a good cheese, he would probably opt for the cheese." - Stephen Clarke
I think the French may be on to something here.
sdcheung
Banned
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2006, 03:48:08 PM »

Use Natashas method. forget the ineedcoffee method.

Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2006, 04:47:24 PM »

Actually, I don't care too much for Egyptian coffee either.  I do like Greek.  It has a good taste.  Nevertheless, my favourite coffee would be a tie between Italian or Albanian. 

Starbucks?  Good, but overated and way overpriced . . .  . of course, that is still where I buy my own coffee to make at home.

So what's Albanian Coffee like?

Anyone know if standard coffee grinders can actually grind coffee fine enough?  What if it doesn't have a "t-----h" setting?  Is "finest ground" the same or fine enough?
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2006, 04:52:57 PM »

No comprende.  Aug Englisch, bitte Padre.
sdcheung
Banned
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2006, 12:37:10 PM »

So what's Albanian Coffee like?

For a filter they use a sock thats been used for 95 days. And the coffee smells like feet. 

Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2006, 01:32:13 PM »

For a filter they use a sock thats been used for 95 days. And the coffee smells like feet. 
Hehe... Grin

Btw, I tried waiting to stir until the first foam-up this morning (using the Italian frothing pitcher).  Foam was ruined and didn't comeback adequately.  Maybe I just have to stir first until I get a real ibrik.  I'll review the instructions under the link again.
Psalti Boy
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2006, 01:57:40 AM »

Anything else is taboo!

Greetings Fr. Chris,
You are welcome to join me at my next stress/anger management session on October 27th, 11:ooam.  Don't be late!
PB
J
(another Justin)

OC.net

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2006, 08:04:47 AM »

How 'bout "Horsebackriding Islamified Altaic Mongolian barbarian" coffee?

That's a bit racist.  And to be true, you'd actually have to take it further than that, because coffee as it's known in the eastern mediterranean and Islamic world is generally derived from either Ethiopia or Yemen, and it was popularized by the Arab traders moving up and down from Yemen through the Hijaz and into Egypt and Palestine.

The Ottomans weren't nice guys, but the Byzantine record isn't spotless either, and to be honest, if you look at the radical changes that Turkey has gone through, they've done a better job than most Islamic countries.

Of course, they still need to come to terms with Armenia before they have my vote of credibility.  Still, there's no reason to drop overtly racial slurs like that on a Christian website, particularly an Orthodox one.
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2006, 02:37:58 AM »

Because of my past three years, working at The Coffee Shop That Shall Not Be Named while I was at seminary, I also wound up making loukoumades and Elliniko Kafes at our recent festival. So, now that I have established my credentials, here's my responses:

1) Do not stir, or otherwise attempt to disrupt the foam formation within the heating container.

3) Perhaps you were disappointed because the yiayia (please note the correct spelling) did everything I recommend a person should not do.

At The Coffeeshop That Shall Not be Named, which was located in a particular Boston suburb known for its ginormous Greek population, we would prepare the coffee for the yiayiades in this way:

1. Use French Roast---it's the most severely roasted coffee available at that chain. Breakfast Blend is way too mild!

2. Have it ground on the finest setting---it may even be labeled as T*****h on the grinder (unless you were at my shop, where I tore off that label and put in its place the 'Greek' setting, much ot the annoyance of the district manager)  Wink

I don't know if Safeway can grind it fine enough--that must be some kind of West Coast outfit, so they probably have no understanding of anything worthwhile or practical in the world (j/k). I have, though, ground other people's coffee when I was at TCSTSNBN, as it was explained to me corporate policy is to grind anyone's coffee upon the customer's request.

That sounds like exactly how you would make Romanian coffee too. Not sure which particular beans they use, though. Something pretty heavily roasted. I love the stuff and living on it for 6 months left me with a permanent aversion to milk in coffee, though I do have to intervene when it comes to the amount of sugar. If I wanted coffee flavoured syrup I'd buy some (not that evryone ususes that much sugar). So, now that we seem to have established that everyone in the Balkans makes coffee in the same way it, like Baclava (which pre-dates the Ottomans in any case), need never be referred to as Turkish again. There are plenty of suitable alternatives.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2006, 07:07:44 AM »

Well, you can go on all you like about these strange blends of coffee, but I'll tell you right now, no one makes a coffee that can hold a candle to the Irish. Wink

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
FrChris
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2006, 09:47:43 AM »

Well, you can go on all you like about these strange blends of coffee, but I'll tell you right now, no one makes a coffee that can hold a candle to the Irish. Wink

True! But remember that you don't want to hold a candle near an Irish Coffee!  Smiley

(wishing I had right now an emoticon showing a burst of flame emerging from a coffee mug...)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 09:48:00 AM by chris » Logged

sdcheung
Banned
OC.net guru

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2006, 12:52:00 AM »

That's a bit racist.  And to be true, you'd actually have to take it further than that, because coffee as it's known in the eastern mediterranean and Islamic world is generally derived from either Ethiopia or Yemen, and it was popularized by the Arab traders moving up and down from Yemen through the Hijaz and into Egypt and Palestine.

The Ottomans weren't nice guys, but the Byzantine record isn't spotless either, and to be honest, if you look at the radical changes that Turkey has gone through, they've done a better job than most Islamic countries.

Of course, they still need to come to terms with Armenia before they have my vote of credibility.  Still, there's no reason to drop overtly racial slurs like that on a Christian website, particularly an Orthodox one.

Thats not racist. It's what they are. and still are. Turkey <edited> and I really don't care how big astride they've made to become "civilized"

and I'm a Racialist, not a racist.

Remarks edited to take out offensive language - Arimethea
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 01:39:29 AM by arimethea » Logged

Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2006, 03:56:36 AM »

Well, I need to take the "Italo" part out now....a nice old Greek lady at church loaned me a single-serving ibrik!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: