OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 12:20:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 1090 times) Average Rating: 0
prayingserb

ЧУВА БОГ СРБИНА СВОГ

« on: October 12, 2006, 06:03:33 AM »

Hello everyone! I'd just like to introduce myself and where I stand with my faith currently.

I will try my best to make it brief and not sound like this is a online-dating service lol.

I am a serb born in Croatia, but we left our wonderful country at my age of 3. As a serb, my traditions and religion will be centered heavily on Orthodox christianity, though I was not christened at a young age . However, with many reasons (too much to explain now) my family and I are not what you'd call active orthodox, but rather attend an apostolic church (even though my parents taught me to cross myself after prayer etc) With much of this protestant way of thinking put into my head, I thought I was saved at the start of this year. The whole time I felt insecure and not at home with this idea of salvation and the way a *protestant* christian should live, think and breathe. I went to a baptist church a few times, and most recently I attended a pentocostal church for 2-3 months with my friend. Seeing much of this new age worship and way of praising/living for God, I just never felt I could connect to this and strongly disagreed to much of what I see in these churches. To make it short, with much thought, prayer and study of the orthodox church and faith,I recently realised I cannot at all call myself a protestant christian. The most simple reason I feel this way is the whole time I thought I was saved etc. I had this small desire and interest for the orthodox church. I will be attending an serbian orthodox church with my father and his friend in two weeks on a saturday night and sunday morning, I really hope I have an awesome experience and this is where God wants me.

Im looking forward to posting and getting to know everyone here!  Smiley

« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 06:06:24 AM by prayingserb » Logged
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 06:43:16 AM »

Welcome to the forum!

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 08:39:23 AM »

Welcome brother! 

When you moved from Croatia, where did you end up?  Many of our members are scattered all around the USA, Canada and Australia and I'm sure some could give you some guidance as to parishes and specific priests nearby.

Good luck!

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 08:55:18 AM »

Prayingserb,

Your initial post has given me great joy! Welcome to this forum, and I hope to hear more from you in your journey!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
prayingserb

ЧУВА БОГ СРБИНА СВОГ

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 09:15:34 AM »

Thank you for your responses!

After leaving the balkans, we moved to Melbourne, Australia and stayed there for 3 years. Finally we moved to Brisbane and this has been our home since.

It's quite hard to find a serbian orthodox church in Brisbane that is filled with people that go their for God not for entertainment. I believe this is a reason why my family and I stopped attending orthodox church many years ago. Fortunately, my father was informed from a family friend a church not far away has a new priest from Serbia and has fixed that lukewarm problem in that church.
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 09:31:57 AM »

Thank you for your responses!

After leaving the balkans, we moved to Melbourne, Australia and stayed there for 3 years. Finally we moved to Brisbane and this has been our home since.

It's quite hard to find a serbian orthodox church in Brisbane that is filled with people that go their for God not for entertainment. I believe this is a reason why my family and I stopped attending orthodox church many years ago. Fortunately, my father was informed from a family friend a church not far away has a new priest from Serbia and has fixed that lukewarm problem in that church.

Welcome to the forum. This attitude with regards to the Church is sadly the case in far too many ethnic parishes in the diaspora. I have seen it before here in England also, though it's usually only really obvious on the major feasts. Thankfully, there are parishes that are different and I hope you find a wonderful new church, like I have found in our Romanian parish here.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 02:45:23 AM »

Welcome to the forum, Prayingserb!
Psalti Boy
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 11:30:40 PM »

Welcome!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: