OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 08:34:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Consensus of the Saints  (Read 672 times) Average Rating: 0
drewmeister2
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Hellenic Orthodox Traditionalist Church of America

Christmas at St Markella's Cathedral, Astoria, NY

« on: August 27, 2006, 08:03:14 PM »

I have heard the term "Consensus of the Saints" come up before. What exactly does that mean? I have also read that it is described at the mind of the Church, but again, what does all this mean? Does it mean the unified belief and teaching on a certain issue by the fathers and bishops of a particular Synod? Or is there an "active" role played by the Saints and Jesus too (ie, there is the word "Saint" in "Consensus of the Saints" so I am curious how they play a role)?  Thank you for the help.

Orthodoxia i Thanatos

IC    XC      ...and in ONE HOLY CATHOLIC
    +                   and APOSTOLIC CHURCH...
NI    KA

www.hotca.org | www.YouTube.com/GreekOrthodoxTV
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 08:10:34 PM »

I have heard the term "Consensus of the Saints" come up before. What exactly does that mean? I have also read that it is described at the mind of the Church, but again, what does all this mean? Does it mean the unified belief and teaching on a certain issue by the fathers and bishops of a particular Synod? Or is there an "active" role played by the Saints and Jesus too (ie, there is the word "Saint" in "Consensus of the Saints" so I am curious how they play a role)?  Thank you for the help.

It's a theoretical standard by which, some believe, a doctrine is Orthodox in spite of not actually having been ratified by an authoritive synod because all the saints believed it. In practice, the question of whether or not the 'consensus of the saints' (also 'Patristic Consensus') would make a doctrine authoritive is moot since in reality such a consensus is never really found, even with doctrines that were defined and defended by Oecumenical Synods, if you go back far enough you can generally find saints who would disagree; so, obviously, the 'consensus of the saints' isn't necessary to make a doctrine authoritive either. More often than not the term is used when someone doesn't have a good argument, but want to claim their opinion is founded in the Patristic Tradition of the Church.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: