OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 04:34:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OCnet possible Fall meetup in Chicago  (Read 7005 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« on: August 26, 2006, 10:26:05 PM »

Dear in Christ,

It came to my attention that there are a lot of members living in Chicago. If you all would like to have an OCnet get together, please express your interest here or contact admiralnick for details.  It could be in Oct or Nov (assuming it is not too cold up there by then hehe).

Anastasios

PS if you live in other areas and know of other ocnet members in your area, we can always form committees to have regional gettogethers.

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 11:57:12 PM »

Get togethers are great ideas, and long been something I have wanted to see and be part of!

Really, anyone who can do so should try to get to Chicago and make an appearance.

Regarding regional get-togethers, I volunteer to be the contact for those OC.netters in the Deep South. Just PM me if interested!

Additionally, something we may try to think of---when one of the Big Three have a large sobor or synaxis or gathering on a nationwide basis, perhaps we should try to hold a meeting in that location at that time, or at least establish a way to contact each other...
« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 11:59:38 PM by chris » Logged

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 07:16:29 AM »

The same holds true for SW PA, plenty of members. We should do this, too.

Even Justin and Deacon Lance can come  Cheesy

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Panagiotis
Libertarian/Orthodox/Lush
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Phanar

Advocating Liberty Since 1973

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 12:50:37 PM »

I would be coming to Chicago. I am near theCapital of Illinois, Springfield. I also would love to be a part of this "gatheirng", so count me in. When and where?

Blessings,
Panagiotis

"The first condition for the establishment of perpetual peace is the general adoption of the principles of laissez-faire capitalism"
-Ludwig Von Mises
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 12:54:22 PM »

I'm in Smiley

Robert
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 06:49:15 PM »

well, that depends on how long we want to meet for and what all we want to accomplish. I'm open to suggestions... Bulls and Blackhawk games, nightlife, lake front, Navy Pier, Museums, Chicago Orthodox Church tour, architecture tour, etc. I'm sure I could line up guest speakers like Archbishop Job, Fr. Patrick Reardon, Fr. Nicholas Dahdal, Fr. John Adamcio, the list goes on and on. We could probably hold it at a church too, to save on meeting space. Just let me know what all you guys are interested in and I'll look into it.

-Nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
Panagiotis
Elder

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2006, 07:08:45 PM »

I am definitely up for a Church and Architectural tour, as long as they are both tied together. I am also up for a tour(not too demented I personally think) of the cemeteries there in Chicago, which also consists of a large Orthodox section from what I gather. And as for speakers, so be it. Could we possibly be able to see the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Chicago and maybe meet someone there if we set it up ahead of time?

Hopw about a three day weekend? And what hotel/motel is really cheap we could get group rates on?

Blessings,
Panagiotis

"The first condition for the establishment of perpetual peace is the general adoption of the principles of laissez-faire capitalism"
-Ludwig Von Mises
admiralnick
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006, 06:16:36 PM »

I am definitely up for a Church and Architectural tour, as long as they are both tied together. I am also up for a tour(not too demented I personally think) of the cemeteries there in Chicago, which also consists of a large Orthodox section from what I gather. And as for speakers, so be it. Could we possibly be able to see the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Chicago and maybe meet someone there if we set it up ahead of time?

Hopw about a three day weekend? And what hotel/motel is really cheap we could get group rates on?

Blessings,
Panagiotis

Great ideas. I'm sure that we could visit the GOA archdiocese and any of the other diocese if anyone is interested. As for the Cemetaries, that might be hard since they're spread out over long distances, but it could probably be put together. As for the intertwined architecture tour, I'm sure that I could get someone together to moderate it. I'm sure theres something around downtown Chicago that we could get pretty cheaply. I'd have to look into that as well. As I get information on this, I'll post it here. The main thing we would need to figure out ASAP is a date for this event to try and coordinate everything around. I wish we could've started earlier since we could've coincided it with the Orthodox Festival of Sacred Arts thats held in october every year at the New Granachitsa Monastary. I'd suggest that we plan for next year in October during the festival, as we could probably get the Hotel located in Gurnee Mills (A VERY large shopping center about 55 miles out of Chicago) which is like 2 miles from the Church. This is all speculation right now and would depend on how many things I could get together.

-Nick

Ιωάννης
OC.net Peon, Patron Saint of Gyros' and All Tzatziki

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Γ.Ο.Χ.

O Father John, pray to Christ our God for us!

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 06:41:38 PM »

Anyone in lonely ol' Washington State? lol

I have seen how men of scant means enriched themselves by living with the poor in spirit, and forgot their first poverty. - Holy St. John Climacus
zebu
Mot à ta mère!
Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

aimovoroi tourkoi!

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 06:49:07 PM »

In Washington there is also me and authioditionist(sp?) and Justinian and a few other ppl.....

Жизнь прожить не поле перейти
Panagiotis
Elder

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2006, 07:36:54 PM »

Admiral, Sir!
*salutes
That would be very nice if we could have done this in October, but next year will give me something to look forward to next year, and with more people out here who would love to join in a Pan-Orthodox gathering. Lots of Greeks out here in Springfield who would join in but are not internet message board savvy. Anyways, if there is a cheap hotel and we can get the list going, then we could register for, say, November? But if there is not alot of people who can do this quickly, how about sopmething in the Spring, say March? Its not like we do not have the time. After all, we are doing this on Orthodox time which could take 300 years to get going, LOL

But this gathering would be a blessing to me, my wife and even my little girls, for I have seen Chicago many times but my wife and children have never been. We used to be under Metropolitan Gerasimos in CA but we moved out here near Springfield, IL for economic reasons. So this would be a great time to have my wife and kids share in the sights of Chicago as well as see some of our Faithful in the Lord gathering for something special.

Blessings to you and the others who thought of this endeavour.

Christ is in our midst,
Panagiotis

-Ludwig Von Mises
admiralnick
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2006, 09:21:45 PM »

I was intending this on a long term scale to try and allow members who want to come, ample time to get together money. I will however start with November, but I'll also start looking into the Spring too. The cost will probably depend on the number of people, so I'd have to start with a rough estimate. I might look at hotels near O'Hare to accomodate our airline travelers, or downtown hotels that offer free shuttles (which many do). I'm sure that a Pan-Orthodox gathering would be great and I would definately try to get a mailing out to all the local churchs' parishoners and have everyone on the board mail to their local churches. It might  also be a good way to increase awareness and thereby funding for the board. It could definately solidify us as a definitive location for Orthodoxy Online.

-Nick

authio
Elder

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2006, 11:46:25 PM »

Washington state?  As in the Seattle Metropolitan area/Western Washington?

I'm in for that!  Spokane, well, that's kinda far away, but maybe....

Northwest conference maybe?  Maybe the Portland and Boise and Montana folks, too?

Just throwing out ideas....

Christ is risen!
Cristo ha resucitado!
Христос Воскресе!
Χριστός Ανέστη!
 المسيح قام
Panagiotis
Elder

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2006, 04:29:37 PM »

I was intending this on a long term scale to try and allow members who want to come, ample time to get together money. I will however start with November, but I'll also start looking into the Spring too. The cost will probably depend on the number of people, so I'd have to start with a rough estimate. I might look at hotels near O'Hare to accomodate our airline travelers, or downtown hotels that offer free shuttles (which many do). I'm sure that a Pan-Orthodox gathering would be great and I would definately try to get a mailing out to all the local churchs' parishoners and have everyone on the board mail to their local churches. It might  also be a good way to increase awareness and thereby funding for the board. It could definately solidify us as a definitive location for Orthodoxy Online.

-Nick
Sadly our funds have been dropped so I doubt this November would readily availbale for us. But how about Springtime for the whole of our Pan-Orthodox brethren abroad?
This is still something I know could put this place on the map moreso than it is actually. This community, though hindered in the last month, is still a thriving one and doing this as a community effort would be a great source for Christendom on the net. I love this place, even though I am not a huge poster, I read alot of what is said and throw my 2 cents in whenever its on something I am aware of or I just wish to spread my ignorance abroad.
Anyways, I still hope this is something on your heart as it has been in mine. Let us focus our prayers on this if you so desire, sir Admiral.

Christ is in our midst,
Panagiotis

-Ludwig Von Mises
admiralnick
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2006, 08:33:50 PM »

Okay, after a month, here's what I've come up with. The common concensus is spring of 2007 which means April or May. We do run into Pacha though so it might be hard. Pascha 2007 is April 8, 2007 according to my calendar. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. With that being said, I believe May would be good for a month. What would work better for everyone in terms of May? Friday to Sunday or a one day event. I already talked to the Greek Metropolis and they were very open to allowing us to visit and if he is there, Met. Iakovos would be willing to meet with us. For those who would not be greek, I can definately talk to Archbishop Job about visit the Diocese of the Midwest. Thats where I stand right now. As far as hotels are concerned, I think a hotel around O'Hare Airport would be the best choice, unless lots of people will fly into Midway in which case, we'd get a hotel in Downtown. Everyone interested, let me know your availablility for May 2007.

-Nick

admiralnick
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2006, 09:43:19 PM »

I confirmed with His Eminence Archbishop Job that we can visit the Diocese of the Midwest and he would be happy to talk with all in attendance for a time. So we have the OCA diocese and Greek Metropolis visit on schedule. All we would have to do is start working on a date for everyone. As a starter, I'll throw out the weekend of May 18,19,20. This is just a first date, feel free to propose others nothing is set in stone yet.

-Nick

Panagiotis
Elder

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2006, 11:18:25 PM »

Next May is confirmed for my family. 2 adults and I pray no children! Yay! POssibly one child but she will be a whole whopping one year old, so. But I hope we can get my brothers to babysit for us. So, yes, confirmed.

Kyrie Eleison!
Panagiotis

-Ludwig Von Mises
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2006, 12:43:27 PM »

I would love to go home (born in Evanston!) and meet you guys, but at this point even if I went and stayed with my mom in Mishawaka, IN and drove over for just one day, time and funds would probably prevent me.  I'd like to know more, though, just in case! I'd probably take the train or drive...don't know about kids though, one of mine would probably be interested.  I think DH would have a big problem with it though, but we'll see how it goes when it is closer to time.
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2006, 01:34:51 AM »

I will do my best in order to come. Cannot promise yet. In the meantime, looks like a good number of participants live in Boston... What about an intermediate meeting?
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2006, 12:45:36 PM »

What? No meeting here in beautiful Albuquerque, New Mexico? LOL. Didn't think so.  Grin

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2006, 01:36:00 PM »

We are open to regional meetings although I will not be able to fly out everywhere to be at all of them Smiley  Anyone wanting to coordinate a regional meet up please contact me via PM.

A.

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
admiralnick
OC.net guru

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2006, 11:07:13 AM »

OKay,

So to revive a dead topic, any idea how many people are interested (family memebers included)  in this Chicago get-together? I want to give plenty of time for people to make trip and vacation plans and ensure that this runs smoothly. May 11-13 is what I'm looking at right now. How does that sound for everyone? This is of course flexible, but I wanted to give a starting point. Let me know what everyone thinks!

regards,

-Nick

Panagiotis
Elder

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2006, 10:16:31 PM »

Count two people in on this. And May 11-13 is perfect!

Christ is in our midst,
Panagiotis

-Ludwig Von Mises
Panagiotis
Elder

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2006, 10:18:03 PM »

What? No meeting here in beautiful Albuquerque, New Mexico? LOL. Didn't think so.  Grin
Give it time, Papist. My wife and I plan on retiring in Roswell after our kids graduate High School and go on to college. So if you have 18 years to wait, we will be there by then Smiley

Panagiotis

-Ludwig Von Mises
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2007, 10:41:20 AM »

What about 2008??

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2007, 12:19:56 PM »

What about 2008??

Well?  Are you volunteering?

If not, then the gathering may be in the real "Orthodox heartland" of NE Ohio or W PA.  Pittsburgh's got a few users centered around it - why not there?

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2007, 01:10:18 PM »

I thought it would be cool to go to Toronto, visit HG Yurij and Met. Sotirios.....the Bulgarians have a Cathedral there too I believe...but I'm down for the east central US.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 02:33:07 PM by Ukiemeister » Logged

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2007, 02:15:25 PM »

Well?  Are you volunteering?

If not, then the gathering may be in the real "Orthodox heartland" of NE Ohio or W PA.  Pittsburgh's got a few users centered around it - why not there?

Smiley  Smiley  Smiley

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Despina
Nacho Average Greek Girl!!

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

;)

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2007, 04:51:43 PM »

Wellll I live in Detroit but I will be in Chicago the first weekend of October for the wedding of DJ Spaz.

admiralnick
OC.net guru

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2007, 12:09:16 PM »

Okay, so I REALLY want to get this to work. So how about May 25-27, 2008. The 28th would be Memorial Day which would be a day of No School for the little ones and for hopefully most of you a day of no work (I know I get it off). Hence, anyone who wanted to travel on Sunday afternoon/evening would be able to relax when they got back to whever they're going. Also, it would hopefully let people like Anastasios and such to be able to attend. I'm still willing to coordinate this, but like last time, if its only going to be 2 or 3 people, its not going to work. We need the cooperation of as many people as we can get. Also, please let me know who in the Chicagoland area you would be interested in hearing speak and I can do my best to arrange a discussion with them. Some noted people in the area include:

Archbishop Job, OCA
Metropolitan Iakovos, GOA
Fr. Patrick Reardon, AOCA
Metropolitan Christopher, Serb.
Fr. John Matusiak, OCA
Dr. Helen Theodoropolis, GOA
Fr. Simeon Johnson, GOA

Topics

Iconography
Liturgical Music
General OC discussion
Current Issues (e.g. capital punishment, abortion, etc.)
Divine Liturgy
Improvements in jurisdictional relationships

If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to let me know and I can check into what I can do for you. Also, if anyone in the area could lend a hand to help coordinate all this (especially talking with priests/bishops from your diocese) that would help out tremendously.

Please let me know your thoughts and concerns and lets see if we can't accomplish something.

-Nick
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 03:23:29 PM by admiralnick » Logged

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2007, 02:49:40 PM »

I'm in all the way!

Though I also have a church conference the week beforein Vancouver...

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2007, 09:19:08 PM »

Well, with a little one now, I can't promise anything, but our school year is over the middle of May, so I have all kinds of time about then. If enough people are willing to go, I'll see if it's possible for us too.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2007, 01:25:09 PM »

Okay, so I REALLY want to get this to work. So how about May 25-27, 2008. The 28th would be Memorial Day which would be a day of No School for the little ones and for hopefully most of you a day of no work (I know I get it off). Hence, anyone who wanted to travel on Sunday afternoon/evening would be able to relax when they got back to whever they're going. Also, it would hopefully let people like Anastasios and such to be able to attend. I'm still willing to coordinate this, but like last time, if its only going to be 2 or 3 people, its not going to work. We need the cooperation of as many people as we can get. Also, please let me know who in the Chicagoland area you would be interested in hearing speak and I can do my best to arrange a discussion with them. Some noted people in the area include:

Archbishop Job, OCA
Fr. John Matusiak, OCA
Fr. Simeon Johnson, GOA

Topics

Iconography
Liturgical Music
General OC discussion
Divine Liturgy

If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to let me know and I can check into what I can do for you. Also, if anyone in the area could lend a hand to help coordinate all this (especially talking with priests/bishops from your diocese) that would help out tremendously.

Please let me know your thoughts and concerns and lets see if we can't accomplish something.

-Nick

For me it's not a problem.

I'm at Fr. Reardons' Church!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2007, 02:16:41 AM »

I will try to attend.

I would definitely add Archbishop Vsevolod to the list of prominent Orthodox in Chicago. But unfortunately, he is struggling with leukemia now. His condition became severe. During all his life, Archbishop Vsevolod acted very Pan-Orthodox and - if only he could feel better!
admiralnick
OC.net guru

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2007, 10:46:56 AM »

I will try to attend.

I would definitely add Archbishop Vsevolod to the list of prominent Orthodox in Chicago. But unfortunately, he is struggling with leukemia now. His condition became severe. During all his life, Archbishop Vsevolod acted very Pan-Orthodox and - if only he could feel better!

I agree with you wholeheartedly, my simple reason for not including Archbishop Vsevolod was the fact that he is sick and I am unsure that he would be able to attend. If he does return to good health I would defintely consider asking him to join us.

-Nick

admiralnick
OC.net guru

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2007, 05:49:40 PM »

Okay, so how long would people want to stay in Chicago? Friday, Saturday and Sunday or just Saturday and Sunday? As I said, hotels can be gotten cheaply depending on when you are coming and going. Also, would most of you be flying or diving in or what kind of accomodations would you require, also are there any picky eaters? I'm looking at a cost of maybe around $15-$20 per person to cover costs and anything over and above would be donated to orthodoxchristianity.net. Thoughts?

-Nick

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2007, 06:02:50 PM »

Although I realize that many people will struggle to fit this into their schedule, with the price of the flight etc. it makes more sense for me to stay at least a week.

In Christ
John

admiralnick
OC.net guru

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2007, 11:09:06 AM »

That can definately be arranged, although I think the events will probably occur on the weekend and then there would be exploration time for those that want to stay longer. Some of the Chicago attractions are:

Sears Tower (Largest Building in the US, 3rd or 4th I can't remember in the world)
Michigan Avenue (Overpriced glitsy shopping strip)
Shedd Aquarium (for you sea creature lovers)
Field Museum (For you natural history lovers)
Museum of Science and Industry (for manufacturing and design and science lovers its my personal favorite)
Many theatres including Cadillac Palace, Goodman, Chicago, etc.
Cultural centers for every ethnicity
Greek Town
China Town

And much much more, if anyone wants more information on anything Chicago, please feel free to leave a message and I can let you know. Just as a primer hotel rooms will probably be anywhere from $70-$100 per night (maybe a little lower than 70) depending on the area you stay in. For you big spenders, there is the Four Seasons which runs around $225-$300 a night  laugh

-Nick

Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2007, 12:40:20 AM »

I agree with you wholeheartedly, my simple reason for not including Archbishop Vsevolod was the fact that he is sick and I am unsure that he would be able to attend. If he does return to good health I would defintely consider asking him to join us.

-Nick

Thank you, Nick! I appreciate that.
admiralnick
OC.net guru

« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2007, 12:20:52 PM »

Archbishop Job, OCA
Fr. John Matusiak, OCA
Fr. Simeon Johnson, GOA

Topics

Iconography
Liturgical Music
General OC discussion
Divine Liturgy

-Nick

Actually the real dates would aparrently be May 23-26, 2008 with the 26th as Memorial Day Sorry for the confusion

-nick

admiralnick
OC.net guru

« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2007, 11:04:43 AM »

To relay some more information:

Hotels in Chicago are expensive, are there alot of people who would need hotels in the city or would people be renting cars, or how do people plan on getting here? LOL. If everyone is flying in then we probably want something near the airport (around 100-120 a night). If most people are driving in, we can probably find 80-100 a night. If its only a couple of people coming in, I could probably arrange for us to stay at one of the churches. Please please please let me know if you are even the slightest bit inclined to come up (or down) to Chi town.

Thanks!

-Nick

admiralnick
OC.net guru

« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2008, 09:36:03 AM »

OK, so new count, How many people are still interested in getting this done?

-Nick

*Side Note* Could one of the Mods please make this a sticky note at the top of the forum so it doesn't get lost?

Thanks!

-Nick
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 09:38:16 AM by admiralnick » Logged

Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2008, 09:47:14 PM »

Hey Nicky--

I would definitely drive up to the Windy City, and I'd be willing to pick up other members along the way. Someone said they live near the Capital of Illinois, which is my hometown... Smiley

Myrrh23

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
admiralnick
OC.net guru

« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2008, 01:41:11 PM »

Watch for Post April 15 postings related to this event. It WILL be occuring.

-Nick
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 01:41:42 PM by admiralnick » Logged

admiralnick
OC.net guru

« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2008, 12:49:16 PM »

Hotels in Chicago for Friday arrival and Sunday departure are approximately 75-150 depending on where you want to stay. You can get a 4 star hotel near O'Hare Airport for $85 a night. My idea for the layout is something like:

Friday night: Dinner for those who are in Chicago around dinner time/explore Chicago nightlife

Saturday Morning: Breakfast with Speaker Presentation and questions

Saturday Afternoon: Lunch with Tour of Chicago Area Parishes (I'll try to get at least 1 parish from each jurisdiction, but I'm not sure how successful that will be).

Saturday evening: Vespers/Vigil for those interested with possible speaker presentation and dinner after.

Sunday Morning: Divine liturgy on your own or as a group (This will largely depend on how sensitive people are to jurisdictional differences and whether or not they want to attend a church of their jurisdiction)

Sunday Afternoon: For those attending the group service, adult education discussion with brunch immediately following liturgy. (The group parish will probably be Antiochian)

Sunday evening: Sight seeing in Chicago/Dinner/Departure for those not wanting/able to stay on the holiday

Monday: On your own/group get togethers/you decide

Thoughts? Opinions? Anyone still interested?

-Nick

« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 12:50:49 PM by admiralnick » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: