OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 03:53:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EO vs. OO Liturgical Issues  (Read 1219 times) Average Rating: 0
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« on: August 26, 2006, 02:07:39 AM »

I just found by accident a copy of Fr. Shenouda M. Ishak's Liturgical and Ritual Issues and Proposals Concerning the Restoration of Communion; as this book is quite rare to find in translation, I thought I would create this thread for any specific inquiries on the matter to which I may retrieve an official OO answer for from this book. Fr. Shenouda M. Ishak is the Professor of Theology and Biblical Studies at Cairo's Coptic Orthodox Theological Seminary; the proposal is approved of by His Eminence Metropolitan Bishoy, Co-President of the Joint Commission, and was submitted to the Liturgical Sub-Committee of Commission in its meeting at Athens, 15-19th of March, 1995.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 02:11:57 AM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 09:31:57 AM »

Wow! What a find!

Does the volume compare and contrast different sections of the Liturgies most commonly used in the churches and answer the theological questions involved?

How do the anaphora and epiclesis in the Liturgies compare? Are different theological apects emphasised?

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 10:07:00 AM »

EA,
Good find. Maybe you can get permission to internet publish it?

Scan it, send it to me, I'll convert it and make a .pdf. You can edit, perhaps?

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 10:34:57 AM »

chris,

Does the volume compare and contrast different sections of the Liturgies most commonly used in the churches and answer the theological questions involved?

The work primarily focuses on issues of significant difference, and does indeed answer any relevant theological questions when necessary, though it seems more concerned with historical issues (i.e. questions like, "when, where, and why did practice X originate?"). The work is ultimately quite short (just over 100 pages) and so it is not an overly thorough treatment of the issues in question.

How do the anaphora and epiclesis in the Liturgies compare? Are different theological apects emphasised?

The epiclesis is not even given a mention, so I assume Fr. Ishak found there to be no significant divergence to discuss there. With respect to the anaphora, his observations aren't particularly interesting . He simply notes the great divergence in number and attributed authority, whilst making a brief remark that in spite of those facts, they all appear to be theologically sound.

It's interesting to note however, that this work really highlights the diversity of liturgical practice within the OO Church itself. In contrasting differing liturgical practices, Fr. Ishak often divides his discussion into the categories of: 1) Syrian, 2) Ethiopian, 3) Armenian, 4) Coptic, and 5) Byzantine.

Aristokles,

I will see what I can do. Our Church usually has no problem with uploading anything and everything onto the internet, so hopefully there shouldn't be a problem with pursuing your idea (except that I don't have a scanner, for now at least).

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 05:26:35 PM »

How long is this tome? Photocopy and a long snail mail will work as well.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 05:51:40 PM »

EA,

Thanks for the information! It has only whetted my apetite to learn even more!

If I may be so bold as to suggest something (and place a commercial for another one of my pet projects on this site)...

if you are making a scan of the book, can you send a copy of the scan to this site (or whatever needs to be done to not violate copyright laws) where we can have it included into the contributor's section of OC.net?

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
emiles

Faith: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 04:06:09 PM »

Greetings All,

This book can also be found for purchase at orthodoxbookstore.org.  Here is a direct link to the book:  https://www.orthodoxbookstore.org/product.details.aspx?productid=1164

It is 5.99 + shipping and is 104 pages long.

God bless,

emiles

NULL
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: