OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 03:32:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: e-Sword  (Read 2306 times) Average Rating: 0
Monkey

Recovering Protestant

« on: April 18, 2003, 05:41:45 PM »

For those of you who would like to be able to read the Scriptures while working at a compture, give e-Sword a try. It is a nice piece of freeware for PC's. There are many versions of the Scriptures availible in several languages. Unfortunately, most lack the Deuterocanon. There are several lexicons, commentaries, etc, there as well. You might want to avoid the commentaries -- they are rather protestant.

Thanks to Oblio for mentioning site.

If anyone knows of other such freeware (especially for a Linux box), please let me know.
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2003, 06:33:26 PM »

The e-Sword software has a lot of potential, especially since it is freeware.  When I first downloaded yesterday(thanks Oblio!) I had all kinds of ideas about Orthodox content that could be added in:

Divine Liturgy and other service books
The Philokalia
Many of the writings of the Fathers
etc.

I really should email the programmer and see if he is open to producing Orthodox content.  He could charge a modest amount for the eBooks, and I'd be happy to pay to make it worth his while.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Monkey

Recovering Protestant

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2003, 06:44:26 PM »

Many of the writings of the Fathers

Writings of the Fathers linked to the appropriated verses. Now that's an idea.
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2003, 08:03:52 PM »

Yep.  One could even put together all the various topical commentaries by the fathers together into a huge Patristic commentary.  On one particular verse, you can read what St. John Chrysostom, St. Basil the Great, the Blessed Theophylact, etc say about it.

-Yazid Ibrahim
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2003, 09:04:01 PM »

Writings of the Fathers linked to the appropriated verses. Now that's an idea.

I thought so too. That's why I already did Tobit and The Epistle of James, and plan on doing more (and adding to past ones as I come across relevant passages). Apparently I'm doing Sirach next since that's what was voting for over at this thread. I asked for help with such a project about a year ago, inviting both Catholics and Orthodox, but nobody really wanted to help. And for those who aren't aware of it, there is already a site that links to quotes by Fathers regarding Scriptural passages; you can access that site here.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2003, 09:13:27 PM by Paradosis » Logged

Oblio
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

The Pointless One !

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2003, 09:56:44 PM »

I note that on the e-sword Bible download page that the RSV is not available.  I am not quite sure why this is, because when I first downloaded e-sword (back around ver 4.x IIRC) I aslo downloaded the RSVA (RSV with Deuterocanon).  So, if anyone would like a copy, email or PM me and I will send it to you.

Also, if we have enough interest, perhaps we could upload e-sword data (Topic and Note) files to orthodoxanswers for use by all.  This would be one way to create links to ECF etc.  A bit tedious, but if we established a format standard and divided the tasks it might go quickly.
moronikos

Jurisdiction: ...and they were first called Christians in Antioch

I'm trying to think, but nothing happens!

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2003, 12:01:22 AM »

Some more free sofware can be found here: http://www.crosswire.org/crosswire/index.jsp.  They have an RSV version and also versions for Linux.
sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2003, 01:26:02 AM »

Do you know if they have a version for palm pilots?

Life is just one disappointment after another.
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2003, 09:50:41 AM »

Sinjin,

The site seems to be down at the moment, but I do remember seeing a PalmOS version on the page that moronikos posted.  You may want to try it later in the day.

-Yazid Ibrahim
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: