OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 11:38:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oriental Orthodox Music  (Read 162417 times) Average Rating: 5
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #810 on: October 28, 2012, 09:15:38 AM »

Is the Hymn Evlogetaria for the Dead available on youtube in Arabic ?

That's not OO hymn, however, here you have it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3JQobAmQE4

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: The Church of Alexandria

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #811 on: October 28, 2012, 03:10:59 PM »

Syriac/Aramaic Music:

Click
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 03:11:25 PM by Severian » Logged

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

I am currently not an active poster on the forum. Please forgive any offense I might have caused in the past. Thank you.
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #812 on: October 28, 2012, 04:48:04 PM »

What's that? This thread doesn't have enough tasbeha in Italian? Well, alright then... Wink

(The only fragment of tasbeha I could find in Spanish is way too echoey to follow, but it makes me wonder: Is it possible to buy/download/find an Agpeya in Spanish anywhere? This would be a great help to me, and for all of us living in Latino-majority areas of the world; searching for it online, once I got past the various Spanish translations of ancient pagan/pre-Christian religious texts, the best I've found is a explanation of what it is, but no link to it anywhere in Spanish.)

Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #813 on: November 01, 2012, 02:06:14 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUApxecqxa8

The above Palm Sunday hymn has been posted before:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,9840.msg292878/topicseen.html#msg292878

However, rather than a studio recording, this one seems to have been recorded during an actual service.  You can hear the priest hitting the hammer on a piece of wood, which symbolizes someone knocking on the door of heaven.

Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #814 on: November 07, 2012, 11:16:22 AM »

What's that? This thread doesn't have enough tasbeha in Italian? Well, alright then... Wink

(The only fragment of tasbeha I could find in Spanish is way too echoey to follow, but it makes me wonder: Is it possible to buy/download/find an Agpeya in Spanish anywhere? This would be a great help to me, and for all of us living in Latino-majority areas of the world; searching for it online, once I got past the various Spanish translations of ancient pagan/pre-Christian religious texts, the best I've found is a explanation of what it is, but no link to it anywhere in Spanish.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vepj8NFF5S4&feature=g-all-u - just posted recording of tasbeha in Spanish.
But I can't find anywhere the text translated into Spanish

UPDATE: http://orthodoxbolivia.org/resources/audio/ - there are 2 pieces of tasbeha in Spanish
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 11:34:36 AM by Dominika » Logged

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #815 on: November 07, 2012, 02:54:58 PM »

Thanks, Dominika. Very interesting. Those are "Tentheeno" and the second hoos, respectively. I'm sure there must be Agpeyas in Spanish for the churches in Bolivia and Mexico, but from speaking to people who have served in the Church in Bolivia, they are rather ad hoc, not anything printed. Maybe someday, as the Church grows throughout the Spanish-speaking world... Smiley

copticmind

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Alexandria

GeorgeFahim
« Reply #816 on: November 15, 2012, 02:39:02 PM »

From what I understand, HH Pope St. Kyrillos VI adopted this hymn from the Greek Church.  So this would be a very recent addition to the Coptic liturgical hymns.

Mina, was it Pope Kyrillos VI or Pope Kyrillos IV (The father of reformation)?

Ⲡⲁϭⲟⲓⲥ Ⲓⲏⲥ Ⲡⲭⲥ ⳿ⲡϣⲏⲣⲓ ⳿ⲙ⳿Ⲫⲛⲟⲩϯ ⲛⲁⲓ ⲛⲏⲓ ⲁⲛⲟⲕ ⲡⲓⲣⲉϥⲉⲣⲛⲟⲃⲓ
يا ربي يسوع المسيح ابن الله ارحمني أنا الخاطئ
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #817 on: November 18, 2012, 10:40:36 AM »

From what I understand, HH Pope St. Kyrillos VI adopted this hymn from the Greek Church.  So this would be a very recent addition to the Coptic liturgical hymns.

Mina, was it Pope Kyrillos VI or Pope Kyrillos IV (The father of reformation)?
Good question; I was taught the sixth, but I'm not so sure.

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #818 on: December 07, 2012, 10:14:08 AM »

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcR1dRVVE-w - the first part is for sure for Kiahk (Advent).
But after the hymn which there are put lyrics (below the video), they sing something different in Arabic and Coptic.

As I can hear, in Arabic it's "allelouia x3 Yassoo-l-Masseh ibnu Allah wolida fee Betheleim" (sorry for bad transcription) what means 'Jesus Christ Son of God is born in Bethelelem" so it's from the refrain of Psalm 150 for Nativity, isn't it?
As for the text which is sung after the frase in Arabic I don't have any idea, but is it also from the Nativity hymn?

And, to make it clear, there are in recording 2 different hymns, one for Advent and one for Nativity?

mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #819 on: December 07, 2012, 03:15:13 PM »

straight after yasou' al masih (the bit you translated very well! i am impressed with your arabic) they then say the same thing in coptic, then (in coptic) they sing glory (i think) to the Son and His Good Father and to the Holy Spirit, then (i think) now and forever.

please feel free anyone to correct my coptic!
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #820 on: December 09, 2012, 11:33:28 AM »

Thank you mabsoota for the help Smiley My Arabic is very poor, I hope one day I mage to get into Arabic at university, that I would be able to communicate easily in this so beautiful language Wink

As I love Coptic hymns and songs for Kiahk, because it's full of Advent's (Nativity Fast) spirit, two another recordings with subitles in English and Arabic:
Amdah fee Batoul (Praise the Virgin)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB0myY0G0KY&feature=g-subs-u
">Aftah faya baltasabeeh (I open my mouth to praise)[/url]

Suryoyutho

Jurisdiction: Suryoyo (Syriac)

« Reply #821 on: December 18, 2012, 12:20:03 PM »

Don't know if it has been posted before but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eOePzjT6Pc

Mani dakhwoth (Who is like me?) - Ancient Syriac hymn in honor of Virgin Mary

The Tur Abdin Timeline - A timeline of Tur Abdin (Syriac for "the Mountain of the Servants [of God]"), the heartland of the Syriac Orthodox Christians, a hilly region located in upper Mesopotamia, between the Tigris and Euphrates.
sheenj
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #822 on: December 18, 2012, 06:28:10 PM »

Don't know if it has been posted before but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eOePzjT6Pc

Mani dakhwoth (Who is like me?) - Ancient Syriac hymn in honor of Virgin Mary

Suryoyutho, that was beautiful. When is this song usually sung? I've don't think I've heard the Malayalam equivalent before.
Suryoyutho

« Reply #823 on: December 19, 2012, 08:54:48 AM »

Yes, it's awesome. It's a Christmas hymn (http://www.soc-wus.org/christmas%20page.htm , search "dakhwoth"). This particular version is from this album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2whgV8BiLg (starts at around :53).

The Tur Abdin Timeline - A timeline of Tur Abdin (Syriac for "the Mountain of the Servants [of God]"), the heartland of the Syriac Orthodox Christians, a hilly region located in upper Mesopotamia, between the Tigris and Euphrates.
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #824 on: January 09, 2013, 02:11:34 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPn4nCKTBec

Syriac Orthodox Christmas Hymns "Haw Dmalakhai"

Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #825 on: January 10, 2013, 08:47:23 AM »

As far I know, the hymn varies dependind on the feast, becasue it's a part of an ritual called "Zuhuyo" - lifting of the thing typical for the particular feast e.g a palm for Palm Sunday, water for Epiphany etc.

So I wonder if the hymn you've posted is exactly for Christmas?...

sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #826 on: January 10, 2013, 09:23:00 AM »

As far I know, the hymn varies dependind on the feast, becasue it's a part of an ritual called "Zuhuyo" - lifting of the thing typical for the particular feast e.g a palm for Palm Sunday, water for Epiphany etc.

I'm not an expert on Syriac but I think the last line of the first three stanzas is "D'stlebt Metulothan, w'ethraham al'ain", which roughly means "Thou who was Crucified for us, have mercy on us." For Christmas, the practice in our Church is to sing "Thou who was Born/Incarnate for us, have mercy on us." I might be hearing it though. :/
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #827 on: January 19, 2013, 02:25:29 PM »

Maybe that's not exactly proper place, but there is a link for Coptic service of Laquan (blessing of the water) done on this year's Epiphany by the patriarch Tawadros.

In my EO parish the Great Blessing of water, which is done only on Epiphany, lasts 15-20 minutes and in Coptic church it is one and a half hours Shocked

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #828 on: January 19, 2013, 03:21:44 PM »

Found one for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt2v8YRgmxg

And then on to regular raising of incense and liturgical services:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnG1wxAviEk

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #829 on: January 19, 2013, 03:29:02 PM »

u beat me to it!
i failed to search in arabic.
i hope someone soon will subtitle this, so everyone will benefit.
 Smiley

yes our service is longer coz we have lots of lovely Bible readings, then the actual blessing of the water, then the dabbing (to symbolise washing) of the feet (of all the men) or wrists (of all the women - due to cultural issues), and then we sing a bit and then people collect the holy water.
anyone who gets there a bit late (eg. me!) can beg a bit of holy water from the person next to them and add it to their bottle.

then, in many churches, we do the epiphany liturgy late at night instead of early in the morning.
so we have a 1.5 hr service followed by a 2.5 hr one!
 Shocked
i think we're trying to do a longer service than the slavs!

but we don't throw ourselves in freezing cold blessed water in the extreme ascetic slavic practice, so i guess with that, you guys win the 'who is the most ascetic' contest!
 Wink
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #830 on: January 19, 2013, 04:05:05 PM »

I just did a youtube search on تواضروس and filtered it by only displaying videos posted in the last 24 hours.  Smiley

Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #831 on: January 19, 2013, 05:35:23 PM »

Found one for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt2v8YRgmxg

And then on to regular raising of incense and liturgical services:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnG1wxAviEk

Thank you, that's what I was thinking about Wink

yes our service is longer coz we have lots of lovely Bible readings, then the actual blessing of the water, then the dabbing (to symbolise washing) of the feet (of all the men) or wrists (of all the women - due to cultural issues), and then we sing a bit and then people collect the holy water.
anyone who gets there a bit late (eg. me!) can beg a bit of holy water from the person next to them and add it to their bottle.

then, in many churches, we do the epiphany liturgy late at night instead of early in the morning.
so we have a 1.5 hr service followed by a 2.5 hr one!
 Shocked
i think we're trying to do a longer service than the slavs!

but we don't throw ourselves in freezing cold blessed water in the extreme ascetic slavic practice, so i guess with that, you guys win the 'who is the most ascetic' contest!
 Wink

Well, during the rite of the Great Blessing of the water we have 5 readings and some long prayers, but they're just said by preists, and a few hymns chanted (but you know, in Slavic practice it's done in fast way), and the priest immerse the cross in each basin 3 times, so probably in the content EO version is not so much shorter as Coptic one. And of course I haven't counted the time for collecting it, becasue it depends on the number of people. But there is no tradition of dabbing, washing or something like that Wink

Haha I liked "who is most ascetic conquest" Grin I wish one day I took bath in Jordan water (I mean after the blessing of the river), becasue in Warsaw there is no any possibility to do it Sad

But I have to admit, that although Divine Liturgy with the Great blessing of the water lasts about 2.5 hour, in evening before (of course in Slavic practice, in Greek it's done in the morning on the day of Epiphany) we have All-Night Vigil which lasts 2 hours (in some parishes 30 minutes or even 1 hour more) Wink

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #832 on: January 20, 2013, 08:02:51 PM »

Thank you mabsoota for the help Smiley My Arabic is very poor, I hope one day I mage to get into Arabic at university, that I would be able to communicate easily in this so beautiful language Wink

As I love Coptic hymns and songs for Kiahk, because it's full of Advent's (Nativity Fast) spirit, two another recordings with subitles in English and Arabic:
Amdah fee Batoul (Praise the Virgin)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB0myY0G0KY&feature=g-subs-u
">Aftah faya baltasabeeh (I open my mouth to praise)[/url]

Beautiful Dominika, I too love them , listen to them often, they truly are beautiful Smiley  thank you dear.

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #833 on: January 28, 2013, 05:58:50 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcUhGiqqNxw

A good video of the Hoothomo (Concluding Prayer) and the Final Benediction of an Indian Orthodox Liturgy.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #834 on: January 29, 2013, 12:35:23 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcUhGiqqNxw

A good video of the Hoothomo (Concluding Prayer) and the Final Benediction of an Indian Orthodox Liturgy.
wonderful! thank you Sheenj!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #835 on: January 30, 2013, 09:30:40 AM »

A blog with Armenian Orthodox hymns - sharakans. The lyrics are only in Armenian, but due to Google Translator you find otu at least of which feast is the hymn. All of the hymns are links to youtube.

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #836 on: February 05, 2013, 11:32:30 PM »

Earlier, I mentioned a group, "CoptAcapella", of which my cousin is part of.  This is a website with lyrics and the production of songs they have made thus far.  These aren't liturgical in nature, just spiritual songs, which do come for the most part from the Coptic Church in the Arabic spiritual musical, more so than Coptic, translated into English.

Enjoy!

http://coptacapella.com/?cat=10

CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #837 on: February 27, 2013, 03:43:46 PM »

Wow, this is beautiful.

Best Ethiopian Orthodox Mezmur by Zemari Mirtnesh Tilahun (Mar Mar alew)
http://youtu.be/b_ahmrW09go

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #838 on: February 27, 2013, 04:26:00 PM »

Zemarit Mirtinesh is my favorite, too. Smiley Though I have not heard so much with her that also has krar so prominently featured. It's kind of nice, I think, even though I get the sense that this instrument is not among the most liked for mezmur (maybe it's too closely associated with secular music; I don't know). Usually it's buried a bit more, like in this lovely mezmur by Zerfe Kebede (if it's even in there...I might be hearing things).

Yes, our Ethiopian brothers and sisters are blessed to have such heavenly music as part of their tradition. If I'm going to listen to paraliturgical music, I prefer Tewahedo mezmur to Coptic (well, Arabic) taraneem. Nothing against my own church, of course, it's just...well, you've heard Zemarit Mirtinesh!  Grin

Of course, there is some very powerful taraneem by Coptic ladies, too (don't much care for the likes of Ibrahim Ayad and Co. in this department, myself; sorry, dudes. Boles Malak is a little less annoying, I guess). It's just a different animal, I suppose.

Suryoyutho

« Reply #839 on: February 27, 2013, 04:36:20 PM »

I posted this hymn before I think but this is different singer(s):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In6wRB7qn3Y

Gudo d'Mor Afrem - Malacho Men Selyo

The words are sung very clearly.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 04:43:09 PM by Suryoyutho » Logged

sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #840 on: March 24, 2013, 05:56:47 PM »

http://youtu.be/eoYqSvcCZQY

I found this great recording of the last portion of the Shubkono (Forgiveness?) Service done during the beginning of Lent. This was recorded a couple years ago at the Orthodox Theological Seminary in Kottayam, India.
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #841 on: March 24, 2013, 06:16:37 PM »

http://youtu.be/eoYqSvcCZQY

I found this great recording of the last portion of the Shubkono (Forgiveness?) Service done during the beginning of Lent. This was recorded a couple years ago at the Orthodox Theological Seminary in Kottayam, India.

^^Great angel It's very similar to the rite of the forgiveness done in EO churches also for the beginning of the Great Lent.

With prayers for the official Orthodox unity

Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #842 on: April 28, 2013, 07:00:35 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiGS7b-Sp5w - I think it hasn't been posted. One of Malankara Orthodox hymns for Palm Sunday in an arragment that reminds me Bollywood Wink

dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #843 on: April 28, 2013, 10:15:16 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiGS7b-Sp5w - I think it hasn't been posted. One of Malankara Orthodox hymns for Palm Sunday in an arragment that reminds me Bollywood Wink

Actually in the above youtube video, it is sung by a Bollywood singer.  The proper arrangement of this hymn sounds more like the following:
http://tinyurl.com/c6memy2

NULL
sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #844 on: April 28, 2013, 03:55:42 PM »

Here's a video of the actual Zuyoho service done in Malayalam. This was the Holy Friday Zuyoho, where the cross is clothed in white to represent the Lord's burial shrouds.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 03:57:11 PM by sheenj » Logged
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #845 on: May 12, 2013, 04:46:45 PM »

This is an English Coptic spiritual song taken from the Arabic Coptic Spiritual song.  The music is the same, the words however are completely different.  Someone very recently created a very different group of lyrics with the same music and same resurrection theme.  In English, the chorus starts with "Resurrection is my song, Resurrection gives me life" but in Arabic, the chorus starts "Inta dost el mawta wahdack, ya Yasou el Nasiree" (You trampled death alone, oh Jesus of Nazereth)

Here's a Coptacapella "remix" of the English:
http://coptacapella.com/?p=356#t=00:00

Here's the original Arabic version (and the way we chant it in Church, even in Liturgy):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruOJIUko6Ss

This is an interesting Arabic "remix" that I stumbled upon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QFjSpHh_qA

mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #846 on: May 12, 2013, 04:59:35 PM »

aah, i love this one so much...
we didn't sing it yet this year, will have to make a special request in church
 Smiley

and i agree the translation doesn't quite do it justice, but as i can't come up with a better translation, i should not comment!
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #847 on: May 13, 2013, 08:35:47 AM »

Actually this melody is very well known from Middle East to Balkans (including Serbia Wink). And every nation claims its own original melody Wink There is even a movie about it "Whose is this melody?" (I don't know if it's the exact name of this film in English). For example:

Jordi Savall or something Muslim

Anyway, I really like this Coptic song about Resurrection, and the last version (although I'm quite traditional regarding Church music) is so great! Cheesy True spirit of paschal happiness

dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #848 on: May 13, 2013, 10:40:13 AM »

Hmm. And the same melody reappears for other English texts of the Church, like "Very Early Sunday Morning", which shares the same chorus as the English version posted by Mina (which I'd never heard before; very interesting), but has obviously different verses. I've also heard the same melody sung in very different contexts by both Syriac and Arab Iraqis...

Anyway...paging Hiwot, Ergib, or any other Tewahedo members we might have left: Gurage Muslim superstar Mahmoud Ahmed apparently sings Tewahedo mezmur now? Just what is going on here? Shocked Is it common for Muslims to sing Orthodox mezmur? I wouldn't think so...the closest I've ever seen from Egypt is when Abdel Halim Hafez sang "El Masih", which is obviously much more of a political song than a religious one. And I seem to remember when the film "Hassan w Marqos" came out a few years ago, there was controversy and some people accused its star Adel Imam of converting to Christianity (and/or promoting conversion to it) just for acting in the role of a Coptic priest in a movie that was meant to reduce tensions between Copts and Muslims. So when I see/hear things like the above videos...wow...Ethiopia is blessed! Smiley

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #849 on: May 16, 2013, 09:33:19 AM »

Actually this melody is very well known from Middle East to Balkans (including Serbia Wink). And every nation claims its own original melody Wink There is even a movie about it "Whose is this melody?" (I don't know if it's the exact name of this film in English). For example:

Jordi Savall or something Muslim

Anyway, I really like this Coptic song about Resurrection, and the last version (although I'm quite traditional regarding Church music) is so great! Cheesy True spirit of paschal happiness
Wow...very interesting!  Curious now to think the origins of the melody...hmmmm

Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #850 on: May 24, 2013, 11:50:11 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJpNiHAKonU - this year Paschal (Easter) Liturgy with the Coptic pope Tawadrous II. Very nice chanting. Especially these hitenis (~27 min) I find very powerful (expressive).

Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #851 on: June 06, 2013, 02:33:33 PM »

Some Ethiopian hymns for Pascha (Easter) Smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c5nvXzjudI (that's something that I almost do during the Paschal service, however in European culture it would considered as strange behaviour Wink)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux-ztnRewEM

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #852 on: June 10, 2013, 01:47:53 AM »

This is an Armenian hymn asking God to grant long life to the Catholicos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v23H5n9ditU

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #853 on: June 15, 2013, 12:50:01 PM »

Christ is Risen!

Dzheremi,

He converted to Christianity a few years ago. A sensation at the time. God willing when I get the time I will try to translate that mezmur he is singing.

Beautiful hymns everyone. Thank you for sharing. Smiley

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #854 on: June 15, 2013, 02:09:37 PM »

This post:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,51958.msg938735.html#msg938735

Made me want to link a hymn about the Mother of God.  So here goes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldc5gWL1xN0

Tags: Oriental Orthodox Music liturgical music Orthodox Music music liturgical languages 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: