OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 01:12:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oriental Orthodox Music  (Read 156753 times) Average Rating: 5
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #765 on: July 04, 2012, 08:30:26 PM »

Okay, so I tried to find Psalm 135 in Syriac usage just to hear how they do it and compare it to the Coptic, Arabic, and Greek that have already been posted, and instead of finding that I found Psalm 91 and 121 in Malayalam as chanted by the Orthodox in India. Really, really great stuff, I think. Makes me want to learn Malayalam. How hard can it be...? Cheesy  Shocked Cry

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #766 on: July 04, 2012, 09:09:11 PM »

Okay, so I tried to find Psalm 135 in Syriac usage just to hear how they do it and compare it to the Coptic, Arabic, and Greek that have already been posted, and instead of finding that I found Psalm 91 and 121 in Malayalam as chanted by the Orthodox in India. Really, really great stuff, I think. Makes me want to learn Malayalam. How hard can it be...? Cheesy  Shocked Cry

The Trisagion on the same youtube channel isn't too dissimilar from the Byzantine version in Tone Pl. 1.
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #767 on: July 04, 2012, 09:25:28 PM »

Yeah. Many of the chants on that particular channel are noticeably influenced by the Byzantine modes, even when they don't have EO counterparts, like the previously linked Malayalam hymn "Orthodukso", which exalts us to remember the Saints Dioscoros, Severus, Philoxenos, etc., in addition to several saints that are recognized by the EO.

EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #768 on: July 16, 2012, 02:12:49 AM »

A-1 Coptic Chant in English of the Gospel reading for the feast of the Holy Resurrection:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL1S9fRx3a0

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
sheenj
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #769 on: July 16, 2012, 06:47:31 PM »

Yeah. Many of the chants on that particular channel are noticeably influenced by the Byzantine modes, even when they don't have EO counterparts, like the previously linked Malayalam hymn "Orthodukso", which exalts us to remember the Saints Dioscoros, Severus, Philoxenos, etc., in addition to several saints that are recognized by the EO.
I think a lot of the similarities might be due to the fact that the Syriac modal system and the Byzantine modal system share a common root. After all the Byzantine Rite is Antiochene in origin.
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #770 on: July 17, 2012, 08:30:29 AM »

One of my favorites:

The Fourth Canticle (Tasbeha: Psalms 148, 149 and 150) Chanted by the Choir of the Martyr Abu Fam.

http://youtu.be/n3mBXJhxRoY

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #771 on: July 20, 2012, 01:23:21 AM »

Hymn for the feast of the Transfiguration, sung in Malayalam:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em0iR0-xJnw&feature=related

CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #772 on: July 20, 2012, 12:28:27 PM »

Pope Shenouda wrote this poem while he was still a layman. It's calld "A stranger" or sometimes translated as "An Outlander".

Here is HH reading it with an on screen English translation
http://youtu.be/Qg_2X9GG8JQ

And here it is turned into a song
http://youtu.be/1NJgefSBXks

I found a nice English language rendition of the song version above.

A Stranger I Lived in the World
His Holiness Pope Shenouda III's poem غريب عشت في الدنيا translated to English by Sami Saad and sung by Justina Guirguis and Jacob Guirguis on guitar. St-Mark Coptic Orthodox Church, Montreal, Canada.

http://youtu.be/fHYp4gSz5rc

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #773 on: July 23, 2012, 04:36:31 PM »

thanks so much for this, it is becoming my favourite poem this year.
but i think the sound quality is better in this one (by the same people):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5NBqTrzsmA&feature=related
they uploaded it the previous day.
may the Lord give us a brave leader like him and bring times of spiritual refreshing to our brothers in egypt.
CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #774 on: July 24, 2012, 03:33:46 PM »

Glad you liked it, mabsoota. I still terribly miss HH, but know he is praying & interceeding for us.

Maybe its just me, but doesn't her voice have a little bit of an Amy Lee of Evanescence feel to it? Upper Egypt meets Little Rock in Montreal.  Cool

mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #775 on: July 25, 2012, 11:05:52 AM »

hmmm, i think the canadians are a better group (and less depressing lyrics!)
we all miss baba shenouda, even those (like me) who didn't meet him (yet!)
i especially love all his booklets explaining the Christian faith.
he is a great example for us to follow.
 Smiley
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #776 on: July 25, 2012, 11:20:08 AM »

I'm guessing this is a studio quality recording of the same young lady in the live recording linked to above: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnGsPsbAtK0

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #777 on: July 25, 2012, 11:30:50 AM »

I'm guessing this is a studio quality recording of the same young lady in the live recording linked to above: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnGsPsbAtK0

Beautiful! Thanks, EkhristosAnesti.

Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #778 on: July 25, 2012, 03:53:57 PM »

For some very nice Syriac Orthodox hymns, I recommend visiting ProjectSyriac's Youtube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ProjectSyriac
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 03:54:12 PM by Severian » Logged

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ (Cf. St. John 16:33)
mtmamma

« Reply #779 on: August 23, 2012, 11:19:34 AM »

I discovered this recently. Coptic Box.

http://copticbox.com/
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #780 on: August 28, 2012, 09:42:19 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rx9ZPK7Q0M - Malankara Orthodox hymn for the Dormition of the Theotokos

St.Thomas wondered;
"How will I reach Jersusalem,
from India; so soon?"
when he heard the Holy Spirit telling him:
"Go and attend the funeral,
of the Mother of your Lord"

Suddenly a cloud came,
and took me in.
I saw the Virgin being carried up,
by the angelic hosts.

I told; "Dear Mother please wait;
Let me receive blessings by venerating,
your holy body."
The anglic hosts stopped, and with delight,
I approached her, venerated her,
and received blessings.

To show as proof of me witnessing
her undestructed body going to paradise,
I also got her handkerchief and belt.
And along with the angels, I praised God,
on this day of her dormition.

When St.Thomas saw the other disciples,
near the tomb of Virgin Mary, to convince them what he saw,
he requested them: "Please open her tomb,
so that I can also venerate her body,
just like you all could."

The disciples opened her tomb and saw it was empty.
They were amazed and told St.Thomas,
it was here that we laid her body.
At that moment, St.Thomas showed
the other disciples her handkerchief and belt
and he told them, her body is in paradise.

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #781 on: August 30, 2012, 03:00:14 PM »

Absolutely beautiful!

St. Efrem Patriarchal Choir of the Syriac Orthodox Church with Abeer Nehme

Bturo Dihud ('Today songs of rejoicing resound on the Mount of Judea')

http://youtu.be/PPEuBXWLeCQ

dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #782 on: August 30, 2012, 08:03:32 PM »

Wonderful! I love Abeer Nehme. I wish her chant CDs were possible to buy outside of the Levant.

"Tsagumn hrashali", St. Movses Khorenatsi (V c.), arr. by Yervand Yerkanian, sung by Geghard Monastery Choir

^^^ This blew my mind when I found it earlier today; and there are many videos of this group on Youtube. Really stunning.

Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #783 on: September 07, 2012, 05:36:47 PM »

Absolutely beautiful!

St. Efrem Patriarchal Choir of the Syriac Orthodox Church with Abeer Nehme

Bturo Dihud ('Today songs of rejoicing resound on the Mount of Judea')

http://youtu.be/PPEuBXWLeCQ

The performations of all Syriac hymns from this channels sounds so finely! And it's nice there are subtitles English and Arabic. Thank you for posting this!

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Cantor Krishnich
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Pan-Orthodox Christianity

Mar Ahmed the Daftadar

« Reply #784 on: September 07, 2012, 08:38:18 PM »

Wonderful! I love Abeer Nehme. I wish her chant CDs were possible to buy outside of the Levant.

"Tsagumn hrashali", St. Movses Khorenatsi (V c.), arr. by Yervand Yerkanian, sung by Geghard Monastery Choir

^^^ This blew my mind when I found it earlier today; and there are many videos of this group on Youtube. Really stunning.

I also love Abeer Nehme. Her version of "Aboun D'Bashmaya" (the "Our Father" in Syriac) is breathtaking.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCq_aRU8Pfc

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy Upon Me a Sinner!
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #785 on: September 08, 2012, 12:40:41 AM »

If you like Abeer Nehme, maybe try Ghada Shbeir. I don't think she's Orthodox (Maronite, I think), but she did a nice CD of unaccompanied Syriac chant a few years ago that's actually available via Amazon at a decent price (it's just called "Chants Syriaques", IIRC). This song isn't on it, but it's pretty interesting: "In Bethlehem" - Aramaic lullaby of St. Mary to the new-born Christ (so says the description; I've never heard this tradition before)

Cantor Krishnich
High Elder

Mar Ahmed the Daftadar

« Reply #786 on: September 08, 2012, 07:25:52 PM »

If you like Abeer Nehme, maybe try Ghada Shbeir. I don't think she's Orthodox (Maronite, I think), but she did a nice CD of unaccompanied Syriac chant a few years ago that's actually available via Amazon at a decent price (it's just called "Chants Syriaques", IIRC). This song isn't on it, but it's pretty interesting: "In Bethlehem" - Aramaic lullaby of St. Mary to the new-born Christ (so says the description; I've never heard this tradition before)

She's also very good. One of my all time favorites is Sister Marie Kerouz (you've probably heard of her), she was born a Maronite but is a Melkite -Greek Catholic Nun. She has an amazing ability being able to sing both European Classical pieces and Oriental Classical music and Oriental chant (Syriac and Byzantine) with one of the best voices that I've heard. 

Syriac/Maronite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMQ9vJ4OioQ
Byzantine Chant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFH8abHmO-o&feature=related
Italian Catholic Hymn: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz2C-62aaso

dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #787 on: September 08, 2012, 10:58:15 PM »

I've never been able to get into Sr. Marie Keyrouz. I've tried on numerous occasions. Her Byzantine material isn't too bad, to my untrained ears, but her Syriac stuff just grates on me. Oddly enough, I have Maronite friends who say the same thing (though they also usually say that it's impossible to find good Maronite chant, especially after the start of the civil war when things really started going downhill, pastorally-speaking, and the motivation/authority needed to pass on the authentic chant was scattered to the wind, to be replaced by awful modern "Arabic Neo-Maronite" arrangements, a la Fr. Louis Hage and the Choral Department of the Universite Saint Esprit Kaslik in their terrible late 1970s recordings). I think she sounds right at home with the Italian hymn, though. Very pretty. Thanks for sharing.

And now for something completely different: The Hymn of the Seven Tunes (Coptic Orthodox) - chanted in English by the deacons of St. George COC, Toledo, OH.

Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #788 on: September 09, 2012, 09:17:45 AM »

Abeer Nehme, Ghada Shbeir - beautiful voices! Earlier I knew only the first one, so thanks dzheremi for posting the video presenting the second one!

As for Sister Marie Kerouz, I have similar feelings as dzheremi. Maybe, because actually I prefer male (sometimes mixed) voices, however there are some exceptions like my compatriot Divna Ljubojević. But for me, sr. Kerouz sounds too much Western Wink

I also don't like new Maronite arrangements. Arabic languages is so beautiful and for me these new arrangements doesn't suit to this language and are not so deep. However, I like some recordings from this site: http://www.jiehonline.com/pweek09.html I know there are passion hymns, but I understand meaning only of a few of them, as my Arabic is very poor.

Great chant! Do you have the lyrics? I also love the icons from this video!

dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #789 on: September 09, 2012, 12:34:59 PM »

You can find the words at places like this page, but without the opening part you hear in that video, so it's not complete. The missing words are:

We worship the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit - Hail to the Church, the house of the angels
Hail to the Virgin who gave birth to our Savior - Hail to Gabriel who announced to her the good news
Hail to Michael the Archangel - Hail the twenty-four presbyters
Hail to the Cherubim, hail to the Seraphim - Hail to all the hosts of the heavens
Hail to John, the great forerunner - Hail to the twelve apostles
Hail to our father Mark the Evangelist - the destroyer of idols
Hail to Stephen, the first martyr - Hail to George, the morning star
Hail to the whole choir of the martyrs - Hail to Abba Anthony and the three Macarii
Hail to the whole choir of the cross-bearers - Hail to all the saints who have pleased the Lord
Through their prayers, O Christ our King, have mercy upon us in Your kingdom
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 12:35:44 PM by dzheremi » Logged

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #790 on: September 09, 2012, 01:50:28 PM »

awesome you guys! Thank you for sharing these beautiful hymns!

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Suryoyutho

Jurisdiction: Suryoyo (Syriac)

« Reply #791 on: September 11, 2012, 03:24:19 PM »

Gudo d'Kenoro - Tubonitho Virgin Mary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-DDuleiRh0

Gudo d'Kenoro - Malakho men Shelyo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g43X11e1_f4

Halel Halel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b3kUYXkA-U

The Tur Abdin Timeline - A timeline of Tur Abdin (Syriac for "the Mountain of the Servants [of God]"), the heartland of the Syriac Orthodox Christians, a hilly region located in upper Mesopotamia, between the Tigris and Euphrates.
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #792 on: September 11, 2012, 04:13:09 PM »

I've enjoyed especially the third one - do you have a translation of it into English (I know that all the time I ask about the lyrics - but I love Oriental Orthodox music and I want to know the meaning of these hymns and songs)? I understand only one word - "Qadish" means "Holy". I know that one of Syriac Christmas hymns is called "Halel Halel" - is the link this hymn?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 04:17:27 PM by Dominika » Logged

Suryoyutho

« Reply #793 on: September 11, 2012, 04:35:32 PM »

I've enjoyed especially the third one - do you have a translation of it into English (I know that all the time I ask about the lyrics - but I love Oriental Orthodox music and I want to know the meaning of these hymns and songs)? I understand only one word - "Qadish" means "Holy". I know that one of Syriac Christmas hymns is called "Halel Halel" - is the link this hymn?

Unfortunately not Sad but "halel" means "praise" (you probably knew), so it's "praise praise". "Aloho" means "God", they say "Bar Aloho" several times and "Bar" means "Son" (so "Son of God"). At 2:49, "Haymonutho" means "faith" (or religion). They say "Betelhem" around 1:00, means "Betlehem" of course. At 3:13 they say "etraham layn" which means "have mercy on us".

Yes, this should be the Christmas one, with Betlehem and all.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 04:35:41 PM by Suryoyutho » Logged

The Tur Abdin Timeline - A timeline of Tur Abdin (Syriac for "the Mountain of the Servants [of God]"), the heartland of the Syriac Orthodox Christians, a hilly region located in upper Mesopotamia, between the Tigris and Euphrates.
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #794 on: September 11, 2012, 05:05:27 PM »

Dominika, are you perhaps thinking of this Maronite Catholic hymn? That one is pretty well-known even among non-Maronites like me, since it was included on the Turkish-released 2CD collection of Syriac Church and secular music "Suryaniler" a few years ago (there are so few recordings released for general consumption like that that I pick up whatever I can find that is in Syriac, whether it is Orthodox or not; "Suryaniler" has both Orthodox and Catholic hymns). I don't know if it shares a text or a melody with any Syriac Orthodox hymn. I have found some hymns shared in common by the Maronites and the Orthodox, but they are the basic ones by St. Ephrem like you would expect, and I don't know if this is one of them. It would help if I spoke the language...maybe someday! Embarrassed
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 05:07:14 PM by dzheremi » Logged

Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #795 on: September 12, 2012, 07:40:16 AM »

Suryoyutho - thanks for the help Smiley

Dominika, are you perhaps thinking of this Maronite Catholic hymn? That one is pretty well-known even among non-Maronites like me, since it was included on the Turkish-released 2CD collection of Syriac Church and secular music "Suryaniler" a few years ago (there are so few recordings released for general consumption like that that I pick up whatever I can find that is in Syriac, whether it is Orthodox or not; "Suryaniler" has both Orthodox and Catholic hymns). I don't know if it shares a text or a melody with any Syriac Orthodox hymn. I have found some hymns shared in common by the Maronites and the Orthodox, but they are the basic ones by St. Ephrem like you would expect, and I don't know if this is one of them. It would help if I spoke the language...maybe someday! Embarrassed

I'd forgotten how this hymns sounds,now thanks to you I've recalled it. I think the lyrics of both hymns can be very similar - as you've mentioned, many Maronite hymns are based on St. Ephrem works. One of the hymns that are used in botch Churches, also sung on the Nativity, is "Shoubho Lhaw Qolo".

Here I'm putting the lyrics of the Maronite hymn you've posted:

هَلِلْ، هَلِلْ، هَللويا. الله تجلّى، الله الكلمة حلّ الظلمة وحلّ محلاّ
قدّوس، قدّوس، قدّوس الله، الليلة تجلَّى بأحلى حكاية
قدّوس، قدّوس، قدّوس الله، آية وجايه تشرح آية.
باري البرايا تمَّم كلامو حُبُو وكلامو لكلّ البرايا، عنّا سلامو أغلى العطايا حُبُو وكلامو لكلّ البرايا
يا خالق مولود محلاك طفل زغير يا واعد موعود يا حدود سرّ كبير
مهما الدهر يدور كيف يودّينا خلّيك درب النور للآب يهدينا

I know very little Arabic, but the first parts of two first verses are practically the same as Syriac hymn
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 07:40:58 AM by Dominika » Logged

sheenj
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #796 on: September 12, 2012, 07:51:22 AM »

I think I'll add to all the great Syriac hymns we have here with a great recording of Fr. M. P. George singing Bak'Dus Qudishin, a song commemorating the departed clergy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJfcY8acX7w
CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #797 on: September 12, 2012, 08:53:52 AM »

Among all these wonderful women listed above, let's not forget the Grand Lady of them all:

Fairouz - Sho Beyholha We Oulo (Syriac) / Soubhan El Kalima (Arabic)

http://youtu.be/hAYUmlewJSc

Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #798 on: September 13, 2012, 08:22:45 AM »

Coptic Orthodox hymn in Arabic for the Feast of the Holy Cross

The first part: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJEPb76Ipi8
The second part: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjgyUxvnMbU

And the lyrics in English and Arabic: http://tasbeha.org/hymn_library/view/805

I think it's a beautiful and detailed description of the feast of the Elevation of the Holy Cross

Cantor Krishnich
High Elder

Mar Ahmed the Daftadar

« Reply #799 on: September 13, 2012, 10:12:19 AM »

Among all these wonderful women listed above, let's not forget the Grand Lady of them all:

Fairouz - Sho Beyholha We Oulo (Syriac) / Soubhan El Kalima (Arabic)

http://youtu.be/hAYUmlewJSc

Beautiful! Fairuz brings back memories for me although I'm not an Arab or from the region. My dad who was Indian but also spoke Arabic listened to Fairuz alot.

Suryoyutho

« Reply #800 on: September 22, 2012, 03:51:43 AM »

Sabre hlayo, the opening part sounds like it could've been a stage song in one of the old Street Fighter games...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx2sKq6gfo8

Suryoyo All-Stars - Tralfo Shnayo (2000 years), this isn't a Church song but it is dedicated to all Christian minorities around the world (mostly focused on the Genocide almost 100 years ago). It's also a song where you hear both the spoken Syriac and Arabic...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmRrnQPaZZY

Gudo d'Kenoro - Mothan Bethnahrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgBtIYsT-tg

Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #801 on: October 04, 2012, 03:46:58 PM »

Famous Coptic hymn "Eporou" ("O King of Peace") for the Holy Pascha Week in Spanish:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVJQhMHo5Kc&feature=g-all-u

CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #802 on: October 12, 2012, 03:49:44 PM »

Beautiful! Fairuz brings back memories for me although I'm not an Arab or from the region. My dad who was Indian but also spoke Arabic listened to Fairuz alot.

Indeed, Fairuz is very dear to me too. As I grew up in the West, she was my gateway to a lot fo the beautiful music from the Levant.

CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #803 on: October 12, 2012, 03:54:48 PM »

Very nicely done and without the bombastic intro you'd normally hear.

Ninua Acar - Abun d´bashmayo LIVE Suryoyo Sat
http://youtu.be/Etow_hqTMWU

mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #804 on: October 12, 2012, 06:54:39 PM »

is this 'our Father who is in heaven'?
sounds a bit familiar, like as if i spend too much time on this website and am now recognising syriac!
 Shocked
 Wink
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #805 on: October 12, 2012, 08:12:17 PM »

Haha. Yes, "Abun d'bashmayo" is the "Our Father" in Syriac. Smiley

CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #806 on: October 15, 2012, 12:56:13 PM »

is this 'our Father who is in heaven'?
sounds a bit familiar, like as if i spend too much time on this website and am now recognising syriac!
 Shocked
 Wink

Indeed it is, just as dzheremi said. So true, I have the melody always in my head now, hopefully one day to learn the Syriac words. What's amazing is this is fairly close, understanding some difference between 1st century Palestinian Aramaic & later West Syriac, to the very words Our Lord spoke.

CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #807 on: October 15, 2012, 01:02:36 PM »

I love all the OO Chants (minus the tacky synthesizers & fake Coptic reverb/echo Cheesy ), but the Armenian stuff ...that is a whole different level. Absolutely beautiful.

CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #808 on: October 15, 2012, 02:51:33 PM »

Famous opera singer Isabel Beyrakdarian singing "Sourp Sourp" (Holy Holy)

Isabel Beyrakdarian and Tatev Choir "Sourp Sourp"
http://youtu.be/f_kcY37ViYM

psalm110
Elder

Faith: Christianity
Jurisdiction: Orthodox

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #809 on: October 28, 2012, 03:43:15 AM »

Is the Hymn Evlogetaria for the Dead available on youtube in Arabic ?
Tags: Oriental Orthodox Music liturgical music Orthodox Music music liturgical languages 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: