OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 08:16:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oriental Orthodox Music  (Read 153997 times) Average Rating: 5
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #720 on: May 12, 2012, 01:56:50 PM »

I don't know if this has been posted already but this is a great song commemorating the fathers of the Orthodox Church.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW2zbUG0VnM&feature=related

Lyrics (Malayalam)

Orthodukso vishwasam nischithamaay sthaapichoraam
Ignathios Agnimayan, njaanaarnava Theologos,
Nalluravakum Kurillos, kaanjanajeehvan Mar Ivanios,
Mar Basil, Gregorios, Mar Diascoros, Cleemis,
Mar Philexinos ulkrishtan Severios,
Ee nirmalathaathanmaarthan ormadhinangal
Aakhoshicheedam varuveen.

Translation:

Come let us celebrate the rememberance of our holy fathers who gave the true orthodox belief to the world.
We remember Ignatius the Fiery One and Theologos (I think this is St. Gregory the Theologian) the sea of wisdom.
Kyrillos the sweet waterfall and Ivanios the Golden Tongued.
We also remember Baselios and our master Gregorios (of Nyssa?)
as well as Diascorus, Clemis,
Philexinos and our illustrious Severus.
May God help us with their prayers.
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #721 on: May 12, 2012, 08:12:43 PM »

Beautiful.

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #722 on: May 12, 2012, 09:55:32 PM »

Dear sheenji I loved it! do you know if they are using a sepecific style of Indian music or is it mixed? I could not tell. Even to my untrained ears Hindustani music: the traditional/ ancient/ classical kind, is so rich and exqusit that it sends me into a trance like state in its complex and mezmerising melody.Thank you for sharing this beautiful hymn.  Smiley

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #723 on: May 12, 2012, 10:38:55 PM »

Yeah, that was fantastic, Sheenj. Thanks so much for it.

Is this the part of the thread where I admit that I love Syraic Orthodox Wedding songs like this one? While I love the classical stuff like Hiwot mentioned, I've always been more of a film music/Bollywood guy (the classic 50-60s stuff), so I think some of the instrumentation and the duet format of a lot of the wedding songs I've heard strikes that same kind of nerve.

But I have heard a very small amount of Indian Christian music that was more obviously influenced by the classical music tradition, such as this song, sung in Telugu (sorry for the bad sound; it's from an old phonographic record). I don't think any of it is connected to the Indian Orthodox, though (Telugu is spoken on the opposite coast from Kerala, where the majority of Malayalam-speaking Syriac Orthodox are, and the only other Telugu Christian recordings I've heard are Protestant and Roman Catholic). I could be wrong, though, as I don't actually speak either of the languages concerned. I think it's still neat to hear either way, but sorry for dragging the thread off topic for a bit. To make up for it, here's a Coptic Orthodox hymn from the Midnight Praises/Tasbeha that's been on my mind all day since we read this portion from the Gospel of St. John today at liturgy. Smiley
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 10:40:36 PM by dzheremi » Logged

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #724 on: May 12, 2012, 11:27:02 PM »

dzheremi, check out the movie pinjar, its not classic, but the story line and the music is quite fabulous IMHO. it looks at one of the dark times in the history of that part of the world from a deeply intimate perspective. the story line is quite awesome, one Ethiopian woman I know is married to a Punjabi man, and she lent the DVD to me, and after listening to my review, she decided to get me a DVD with English subtitles from her suppliers.

those links are great BTW thank you Smiley

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #725 on: May 13, 2012, 01:28:23 PM »

Dear sheenji I loved it! do you know if they are using a sepecific style of Indian music or is it mixed? I could not tell. Even to my untrained ears Hindustani music: the traditional/ ancient/ classical kind, is so rich and exqusit that it sends me into a trance like state in its complex and mezmerising melody.Thank you for sharing this beautiful hymn.  Smiley

I think the main melody is Indo-Syriac while the bass drone is from the Byzantine style.

Yeah, that was fantastic, Sheenj. Thanks so much for it.

Is this the part of the thread where I admit that I love Syraic Orthodox Wedding songs like this one? While I love the classical stuff like Hiwot mentioned, I've always been more of a film music/Bollywood guy (the classic 50-60s stuff), so I think some of the instrumentation and the duet format of a lot of the wedding songs I've heard strikes that same kind of nerve.

But I have heard a very small amount of Indian Christian music that was more obviously influenced by the classical music tradition, such as this song, sung in Telugu (sorry for the bad sound; it's from an old phonographic record). I don't think any of it is connected to the Indian Orthodox, though (Telugu is spoken on the opposite coast from Kerala, where the majority of Malayalam-speaking Syriac Orthodox are, and the only other Telugu Christian recordings I've heard are Protestant and Roman Catholic). I could be wrong, though, as I don't actually speak either of the languages concerned. I think it's still neat to hear either way, but sorry for dragging the thread off topic for a bit. To make up for it, here's a Coptic Orthodox hymn from the Midnight Praises/Tasbeha that's been on my mind all day since we read this portion from the Gospel of St. John today at liturgy. Smiley

If you like wedding songs try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcFvWCtuU8s
The prelate is singing in 6 different Languages: Tamil, English, Syriac, Kannada, Hindi, and Malayalam.

As to the Classical Indian style, the closest Christian thing in Malayalam would be the folk stuff like Margam Kali.
Here's a good video of a Margam Kali if you're interested.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiXkHHHU6Uc
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #726 on: May 13, 2012, 01:48:56 PM »

Wow, great links, Sheenj! Thanks!

From the "related videos" of the last link I posted, here is cantor Gad Lewis (my favorite) reciting the verses of the cymbals in Coptic, with a very well put together video behind it, including the words in Coptic so that you can sing along too... (what do you mean, I'm the only one who does that?  Cheesy)

Verses of Cymbals - أرباع الناقوس

sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #727 on: May 13, 2012, 05:14:50 PM »

Wow, great links, Sheenj! Thanks!

From the "related videos" of the last link I posted, here is cantor Gad Lewis (my favorite) reciting the verses of the cymbals in Coptic, with a very well put together video behind it, including the words in Coptic so that you can sing along too... (what do you mean, I'm the only one who does that?  Cheesy)

Thanks for the link, unfortunately I can't keep up with the Coptic lettering fast enough Sad
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #728 on: May 13, 2012, 05:36:44 PM »

Yeah, it can be a bit difficult to get used to the rhythm, so it's hard to follow along at first. With this particular hymn (as with many) the last syllable of the line is split, and half of it is appended to the beginning of the next line in the meter, so "Shere ne Maria" becomes "Shere ne-e-e Mari/i-ya ... [ti-chermobi e-e-e-e-eth-nesos]". It's little wonder that the Copts rely on rhythm-keeping instruments like the cymbal and the triangle as opposed to melody-producing instruments. Smiley And of course it doesn't help that there is a slight delay in some spots before the next line appears in the video. I still thought it was particularly well done, though.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 05:37:24 PM by dzheremi » Logged

Ergib
O Lord according to Your mercy; not according to my sins.

« Reply #729 on: May 14, 2012, 07:36:12 PM »

I love this  http://youtu.be/xjFsl0chPLw

It's more like a prayer....makes me tear up everytime i hear it.
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #730 on: May 14, 2012, 07:54:48 PM »

So beautiful! I really love Tewahedo mezmur. Is it possible to find such recordings outside of Ethiopia and Youtube videos? If it is, I would like to buy some in order to support the wonderful work of the church and its beautiful artists like Deacon Engidawork, Mirtinesh, and Zerfe Kebede. For the Copts, we have a few places on the internet connected to monasteries, like St. Moses bookstore connected to the Abbey in Texas (this is how they make their money, by selling CDs, books, etc), but I haven't seen anything like that for the Ethiopian Orthodox. Only some announcements on some church websites saying "this album is available in person at the church". I'm over a thousand miles from there... Cry

Ergib

« Reply #731 on: May 15, 2012, 10:46:16 AM »

So beautiful! I really love Tewahedo mezmur. Is it possible to find such recordings outside of Ethiopia and Youtube videos? If it is, I would like to buy some in order to support the wonderful work of the church and its beautiful artists like Deacon Engidawork, Mirtinesh, and Zerfe Kebede. For the Copts, we have a few places on the internet connected to monasteries, like St. Moses bookstore connected to the Abbey in Texas (this is how they make their money, by selling CDs, books, etc), but I haven't seen anything like that for the Ethiopian Orthodox. Only some announcements on some church websites saying "this album is available in person at the church". I'm over a thousand miles from there... Cry

I’m impressed! 
I love Deacon Engidawork, Mirtinesh, and Zerfe, as well. Thanks for letting me know about stmosesbookstore.org I will be using it to buy some English books. Unfortunately, I don’t think there is a Tewahedo website that sells CDs or other items to benefit Monasteries. If you need me serve you as a postal service, PM your PO box and I can buy from my church and ship you any CDs, VCDs you would like Smiley
dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #732 on: May 15, 2012, 01:41:22 PM »

I don't know if this has been posted already but this is a great song commemorating the fathers of the Orthodox Church.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW2zbUG0VnM&feature=related

Lyrics (Malayalam)

Orthodukso vishwasam nischithamaay sthaapichoraam
Ignathios Agnimayan, njaanaarnava Theologos,
Nalluravakum Kurillos, kaanjanajeehvan Mar Ivanios,
Mar Basil, Gregorios, Mar Diascoros, Cleemis,
Mar Philexinos ulkrishtan Severios,
Ee nirmalathaathanmaarthan ormadhinangal
Aakhoshicheedam varuveen.

Translation:

Come let us celebrate the rememberance of our holy fathers who gave the true orthodox belief to the world.
We remember Ignatius the Fiery One and Theologos (I think this is St. Gregory the Theologian) the sea of wisdom.
Kyrillos the sweet waterfall and Ivanios the Golden Tongued.
We also remember Baselios and our master Gregorios (of Nyssa?)
as well as Diascorus, Clemis,
Philexinos and our illustrious Severus.
May God help us with their prayers.

This hymn is a translation of the following Syriac Hymn sung is the same tone as the Syriac one. In the attached video you can listen to H.G Mor Osthatious the Metropolitan of Mylapore singing it in Syriac.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLGHe9t12h8

NULL
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #733 on: May 23, 2012, 08:07:12 PM »

Christ is Risen!

One more Paschal hymn on the Eve of the Ascension!
By Dn. Theodoros Yossef

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4b9uqbszrA

Yefasikawin beg esrael aredu /Israel slain The Paschal lamb
Ersun temegebew kenne’an lihedu/ so they may eat it and go to Canaan
Bemeqan beguben qebut yebegun dem/ the blood of the lamb they smeared by the door-posts and lintel
Gibts bekurwan ata ke esrael alemotem!/2x/ As Egypt lost her first born, none died from Israel.

Alefe ! eyalu motin ameletewal / it passed over! They declared as they escaped death
Fere’onin astimo  bedil teshagerewal/ as He sunk the pherero they crossed over in victory
Beberachew yalewin demun temelekto/ seeing the blood by their door
Marakiwin qesefuwal merkognochun titto/ he has struck down the captor and did not harm the captives
Qades alefe berehaw,/ past  over  the desert of Cades
Hizbun berkata eyemeraw/ satiated, the Lord lead his people.

Bemeqan beguben qebut yebegun dem/ the blood of the lamb they smeared by the door-posts and lintel
Gibts bekurwan ata ke esrael alemotem!/2x/ As Egypt lost her first born, none died from Israel.

BeQeranio laye legna begu tardual / on Calvary/ kraniou/ the Lamb is slain for us
Fereon ayedelem diyabilos teretual/ not pharaoh but the Devil is defeated
Betre muse’achinim yegeta meseqel new/ and instead of the staff of mosses, we have the cross of our Lord
Be ersu qetqeten new motin yegedelenew/ with it we have trampled down death and triumphed 
Ye Egziabher lij tegeletuwal / the Son of God is Revealed 
Motim bemotu teretual!/  And by His Death, He has defeated Death!

Abrehamim banehon bemigmar  yenorin/ Though we are not like Abraham who lived with righteous deeds
Siol qulefuwan talech demun sileyazin/ Hades surrendered her key because we bear His blood
Lezih talaq kibir abeqan miheretu/ His mercy is the reason of our great exaltation in honor
Genet hoy tekefech yihew mileketu!/ Open ye Gates of Paradise, behold the seal of His Blood!( on The sign  that is The Cross)
Lelit beberehan tewatech! / The Night (Darkness) is swallowed by the Light
Siol merekowan leqeqech! / And Hades released her captives!

Abrehamim banehon bemigmar  yenorin/ Though we are not like Abraham who lived with righteous deeds
Siol qulefuwan talech demun sileyazin/ Hades surrendered her key because we bear His blood
Lezih talaq kibir abeqan miheretu/ His mercy is the reason of our great exaltation in honor
Genet hoy tekefech yihew mileketu! / Open ye Gates of Paradise, behold the seal of His Blood!(On the Sign that is The Cross)
Lelit beberehan tewatech!/  The Night (Darkness) is swallowed by the Light
Siol merekowan leqeqech!/  And Hades released her captives!

...........///..........

Glory be to the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, both now and ever and unto the ages of ages Amen!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 08:18:50 PM by Hiwot » Logged

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #734 on: May 23, 2012, 09:00:33 PM »

Thank you.  That was beautiful.   Smiley

dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #735 on: May 23, 2012, 09:02:55 PM »

So wonderful! There is so much depth in the Tewahedo mezmur...I must confess that if it weren't for your translations, Hiwot, I would be jealous that you understand them while I can't. Smiley Thank you for taking the time to translate them for us non-Amharic speakers.

I have probably posted this before, and it is out of season, but here is a nice rendition of a doxology for the Great Fast in the Coptic Church, in Arabic: ذكصولوجية للصوم الكبير

Sorry I can't translate it. I'm working on learning more Arabic, but I only understand a little bit of it right now without text or translation (the Lord's Prayer at the end, for instance). Embarrassed

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #736 on: May 23, 2012, 09:46:47 PM »

Thank you Salpy and dzheremi, God willing I will continue to share, and I too have to thank everyone who is sharing here, all the beautiful hymns of the Church, it has been a great blessing.  Smiley

Another one of Theodros’s mezmur , 2 videos of the same mezmur.

“ yilal andebete  / my mouth shall proclaim”
Video 1 .   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qeCKK1UbWk&feature=fvwrel

Video 2.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WtOK3XivO0&feature=related

Yilal andebete egziabher qidus new/ My mouth shall proclaim the Holiness of God
Ayetewegnim ena welaj endelelew/ for He shall not abandon me like an orphan
Tinant yetebeqegne yenegem tesefaye/ He is the one who protected me yesterday and my hope for tomorrow
Tilehalech nefese fiqir neh getaye/ my soul shall say to you, you are Love my Lord!

Yetinant hiwoten zor biye sayew/ when I looked back at my past
Mamelecha yelelew atrium eshoh new/ it was barred with walls of thorns no one can escape from
Wede erefte wetahu yidres misganaye/  to you I offer thanksgiving because I escaped to a place of rest
Dejoch bizegubegne ber honogne getaye/even though the doors were barred, my Lord became The Gate for me.

Yilal andebete egziabher qidus new/ My mouth proclaims the Holiness of God
Tinant yetebeqegne yenegem tesefaye/ He is the one who protected me yesterday and my hope for tomorrow
Tilehalech nefese fiqir neh getaye/ my soul shall  say to you,  you are Love my Lord!

Betilequ bereha migib metet honogne/ in the depth of the desert he became my food and my drink
Mengeden aqenaw ejen beafe aschanegne/ he straightened my way and I stood in awe
Be esat ena weha mekakel alefe/ having passed through water and fire
Temesegen elalehu qine moltot afe/ I give thanks to you with mouth filled with your odes of your praise

Tilehalech nefese fiqir neh getaye/ my soul shall say to you, you are Love my Lord!

Yebechegneneten maebel getsesuwal/ He has rebuked the storm of my loneliness
Lene birehan hono lekesash chelemuwal./  the Light has shined for me, while the accuser is cast away in darkness
Qestun eyatefe tadegegne keseqaye/  he broke the arrows of the enemy and rescued me from my suffering.
Yegetaye hasab fiqr new bene laye/  My Lord’s banner over me is Love

Tinant zare nege zelalem tebaqi/ yesterday today, tomorrow and forever he is my protector
Yeliben filagot salenegerew awaqi/ he knows what is in my heart even before I tell him
Bebaheriw qidus yelelew amsaya/ Holy by His Nature, and no one is like Him
Simu wedebe new meleheqen metaya/  His name is my shore where I will be anchored

....///.....

Glory be to the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, One God, both now and ever and unto the ages of ages Amen!

Ergib

« Reply #737 on: May 24, 2012, 04:14:31 PM »

Hiwot, your translations are amazing! Are you zemari by any chance?
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #738 on: May 24, 2012, 04:35:16 PM »

Hiwot, your translations are amazing! Are you zemari by any chance?

thank you Ergib, Smiley as to being zemari, no I am not.

CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #739 on: May 31, 2012, 08:47:30 AM »

dzheremi, I'm just amazed at the knowledge you have!

I also love Muallem Gad Lewis.  I must say, I do hate those recordings with all that extra echo/reverb effect.

Here is his voice in a very simple setting with no effects or overdriven microphone!

Meet & Right (Coptic) by Cantor Gad Lewis
http://youtu.be/52sY5OuBcDg

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #740 on: May 31, 2012, 03:10:59 PM »

I agree, CoptoGeek, about the echo/reverb, but a lot of Coptic recordings have this (unfortunately), so I would rather have a recording of Gad Lewis with annoying reverb than one by Ibrahim Ayad with annoying reverb...

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #741 on: June 03, 2012, 12:09:05 AM »

isn't this lovely?  Grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc5Ayi3sxzg&feature=fvwrel

Je Nai Nan in Spanish , Coptic, English , French,Arabic, and Greek.

It certainly reminded me of why language was one of the gifts of the Holy Spirit on Holy Pentecost.... to proclaim the Mighty Works of God to All Nations!

Acts 2:1-12

1When the day of Pentecost arrived, they were all together in one place. 2And suddenly there came from heaven a sound like a mighty rushing wind, and it filled the entire house where they were sitting. 3And divided tongues as of fire appeared to them and rested on each one of them. 4And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance.

5Now there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men from every nation under heaven. 6And at this sound the multitude came together, and they were bewildered, because each one was hearing them speak in his own language. 7And they were amazed and astonished, saying, “Are not all these who are speaking Galileans? 8And how is it that we hear, each of us in his own native language? 9Parthians and Medes and Elamites and residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya belonging to Cyrene, and visitors from Rome, 11both Jews and proselytes, Cretans and Arabians—we hear them telling in our own tongues the mighty works of God.” 12And all were amazed and perplexed, saying to one another, “What does this mean?”
[/b]

Blessed Feast of Holy Pentcost to everyone! Smiley

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #742 on: June 03, 2012, 12:20:07 AM »

Beautiful!

And I had no idea that the Copts had a mission in Bolivia.  Wow!

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #743 on: June 03, 2012, 12:26:56 AM »

Beautiful!

And I had no idea that the Copts had a mission in Bolivia.  Wow!

Indeed! WOW is what I said too! Glory be to God!

dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #744 on: June 03, 2012, 12:54:57 AM »

At the church in which I was baptized last week, St. Mark COC-Phoenix (actually Scottsdale, but who's counting), there was a presentation during the servant's meeting with two girls who had gone to the missionary church in Bolivia. They are doing GREAT work there (and I don't just mean the two girls, I mean the whole church). Bolivia is an extremely poor country, but the people there are very dedicated to God and the Church. Here is the website of the Diocese of Bolivia, and here is the Nativity liturgy in Spanish. Last I heard, over 400 Bolivians attend liturgy. May the Lord continue to bless the Church as it grows throughout Latinoamerica.

Related: Liturgy from St Mary and St Mark COC, Tlayacapan, Morelos, Mexico (It's my dream to go here one day, as I like to joke with people from church that I will finally be useful and they will have to turn to me to understand what is going on for once. Grin)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 12:55:32 AM by dzheremi » Logged

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #745 on: June 04, 2012, 12:39:48 AM »

Glory be to God! dzheremi, thank you for that post, what a beautiful thing to see! I pray that the Lord grant your wish so you go there and benefit from serving His people in there.  Smiley

mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #746 on: June 04, 2012, 04:57:11 AM »

At the church in which I was baptized last week,

WHOAH!
dzheremi, i am late in saying 'alf mabrook'!
sorry to be late with the congratulations.
 Shocked
i am so, so happy for u brother!
 Cheesy
i wish a blessed fast of the apostles to u and all the others reading this page.
 Smiley
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #747 on: June 04, 2012, 05:07:41 AM »

Wa alf shukr, ya Mabsoota! (Do I start calling you aunt now? I feel weird doing that, since I'm about 11 years older than our friend TITL who does that...on the other hand, you know my name, which is more than Ican be said of some of that aunties actually at the church here, so that's got to count for something! Heh. God bless them all.)

A blessed fast to you, too, and to all!

mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #748 on: June 04, 2012, 05:19:26 AM »

no, i'm not quite old enough...
 Wink
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #749 on: June 04, 2012, 01:02:13 PM »

Congrats, Dzheremi!

I'm going to bump the baptism thread so you and Seafra can tell us about your experiences. 

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,44573.0.html#top

I'm hoping for youtube videos.   Smiley

Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #750 on: June 10, 2012, 08:43:46 AM »

Malankara Orthodox hymn for the Feast of Resurrection

O Mary! I am the Gardner
I am the one who established Paradise
O Mary! I am the life of all living things.
I am the rising up and resurrection.

I was murdered
I was in a tomb
Do not touch me,
for I have not yet ascended to My Father.

"With glory He has risen from the tomb",
Go and tell this good news to My disciples

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #751 on: June 10, 2012, 01:52:16 PM »

A Hymn from the West Syrian Rite Sacrament of Ordination sung in Syriac, Malayalam, and English.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft8PAYsQLzY
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 01:52:24 PM by sheenj » Logged
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #752 on: June 11, 2012, 02:19:14 AM »

Everybody, Everybody! Look! Three and a half HOURS of high quality, no reverb/no echo-having, translated Coptic/English/Arabic tasbeha for Kiahk with Muallem Gad Lewis! This is my new favorite thing on the internet. Sorry, everything else. Try to have more tasbeha next time.

I could just cry that I found this now at midnight when I have to be up in a few hours to get on a plane to travel to California. Does anyone know any service by which I can capture the audio from this video in order to put it onto an ipod? I only know free services that do much smaller conversions, less than 10 minutes. I want to be able to have this everywhere! Smiley

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #753 on: June 11, 2012, 03:36:29 AM »

laugh laugh that was indeed awesome! a gem! Thank you, thank you.

mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #754 on: June 11, 2012, 02:47:53 PM »

peace, dzheremi, maybe u can watch it when u come back?
 Wink
personally, i find the prayer book (agpeya) to be the best thing to have on planes. that way u can occasionally exchange conversation with the person next to you. listening to music says 'don't talk to me', and maybe the guy next to u needs a word of encouragement.
 Smiley
ps, it is very good, thanks for linking to it!
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #755 on: June 15, 2012, 06:46:56 PM »

An Armenian hymn by St. Mesrob:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxwEUAK_iaA&feature=plcp

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #756 on: June 15, 2012, 07:02:28 PM »

Beautiful singing.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #757 on: June 16, 2012, 02:52:56 AM »

Yes, very beautiful. Also it is very nice to see the Armenian icons. I haven't seen too many icons from the Armenian tradition. They're quite nice.

Syriac Orthodox lady sings the Lord's Prayer

A slice of Syriac Orthodox life in Turkey (Tur Abdin; I think Deir ul-Zafaran/Mar Hananyo, but I'm not sure)

sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #758 on: June 26, 2012, 03:47:14 PM »

I found a great recording of the Friday Ramsho (evening) prayers conducted at the Orthodox Theological Seminary in Kottayam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqLL80aqZqA&feature=related

The prayers are in Malayalam and Syriac.
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #759 on: June 30, 2012, 10:34:14 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHa2Oakg2kY

^Psalm 5 in Arabic. The tune in which it's being chanted doesn't reflect a traditional or known Coptic melody; yet it's somewhat reminiscent of the general spirit of some of the more melancholic examples of Coptic-style chant (e.g. the Coptic Good Friday reading from the Book of Lamentations).

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
psalm110
Elder

Faith: Christianity
Jurisdiction: Orthodox

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #760 on: July 04, 2012, 06:02:43 AM »

Hi All

Can anyone tell me the name of this hymn which is in arabic, I'm wondering if its available in Greek.

http://youtu.be/wWguK9A8mkg

Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #761 on: July 04, 2012, 01:21:19 PM »

بوليئيليون = booleeleeoon (from Greek "Polyeleon" ), in other words psalm 135 (in arabic مزمور = mazmoor).

Here is the link for this hymn sung in Greek:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMQbCKO45As

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #762 on: July 04, 2012, 01:39:57 PM »

That's not Oriental. That's Byzantine! Smiley

Hymn 135 in Coptic from St. Macarius monastery in Egypt, 1977
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 01:42:32 PM by dzheremi » Logged

psalm110
Elder

Faith: Christianity
Jurisdiction: Orthodox

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #763 on: July 04, 2012, 06:24:57 PM »

Very beautiful in both languages
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #764 on: July 04, 2012, 06:36:00 PM »

Very beautiful in both languages

Indeed! its three actualy, the Arabic, the Coptic and the Greek, So beautiful! thank you Psalm110, Dominika and dhzeremi.

the Name of the Lord God of Israel ,being praised by the tongues of All Nations who are Redeemed by the Blood of the Messiah, They praise Him with the Mezmur of his servant Dawit! singing Hallelujah!

Christ is Risen!

Tags: Oriental Orthodox Music liturgical music Orthodox Music music liturgical languages 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: