Author Topic: Persecution of Copts in Egypt  (Read 34812 times)

Offline mabsoota

• Archon
  • Kyrie eleison
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox (Coptic)
Re: Persecution of Copts in Egypt
« Reply #405 on: February 13, 2015, 07:56:15 AM »
do you have a source for that?
were they the ones they kidnapped a couple of weeks ago, or new ones?
may God rest their souls and comfort their family and friends.

Offline wgw

• Amateur Liturgical Enthusiast
  • Elder
  • The above icon is St. Athansius. I am in need of fellowship and prayers.
    • The Least of Pilgrims Liturgical Blog
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Chrismated, in a canonical jurisdiction
« Reply #406 on: February 13, 2015, 10:14:22 AM »
This is sad news indeed, but they have received the crown of martyrdom, and joined the company of Ss. Ignatius, Justin Martyr, George, Sergius and Bacchus Agnes, Abanoub and Mina, and New Martyrs like Ss. Tsarevich Alexei and Grand Duchess Amatasia, among other martyred saints.  God willing I'm going to a monastery today on a pilgrimage and if I'm able to go (my arthritis has been really bad in the past 12 hours, last night my tendons felt as though they were about to burst), I will dedicate ,y pilgrimage to them.
William Inge KCVO, the Dean of St. Paul's in London from 1911-1934, when asked if he was a liturgiologist replied, “No. Nor do I collect postage stamps."

Please forgive any offense my posts cause; none is intended. Let us bless the Lord ar all times.

Offline Stavro

• OC.net guru
« Reply #407 on: February 13, 2015, 11:14:37 AM »
do you have a source for that?
were they the ones they kidnapped a couple of weeks ago, or new ones?
may God rest their souls and comfort their family and friends.

http://www.el-balad.com/1387349
In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)

Offline Stavro

• OC.net guru
« Reply #408 on: February 16, 2015, 10:35:40 AM »
Although the video of the martyrdom by beheading with knives was disturbing, the terrorists gave us the most powerful recorded document of faith in the history of the Coptic Orthodox church.

The terrorists pronounced the verdict " they will be executed because they insisted to remain unbelievers. "

The martyrs were praying the arrow prayer, the confession of the right hand thief and beseeching God to accept their spirits. Nothing dramatic or fancy, only solid Coptic spirituality.

In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)

Offline TheTrisagion

• The Purple Demon is gonna get you if you don't watch out!
  • Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #409 on: February 16, 2015, 11:37:01 AM »
Lord, have mercy on your Holy Martyrs! May they intercede on our behalfs.
Quote from: Mor Ephrem
Why can't you just take your spiritual edification like a man? 

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
« Reply #410 on: February 16, 2015, 12:22:09 PM »
Although the video of the martyrdom by beheading with knives was disturbing, the terrorists gave us the most powerful recorded document of faith in the history of the Coptic Orthodox church.

The terrorists pronounced the verdict " they will be executed because they insisted to remain unbelievers. "

The martyrs were praying the arrow prayer, the confession of the right hand thief and beseeching God to accept their spirits. Nothing dramatic or fancy, only solid Coptic spirituality.

Thanks, Stavro.  I wanted to ask what they were saying, but it seemed inappropriate at the time. 
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Mor no longer posts on OCNet.  He follows threads, posts his responses daily, occasionally starts threads, and responds to private messages when and as he wants.  But he really isn't around anymore.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)
« Reply #411 on: February 16, 2015, 04:19:36 PM »
21 Copts were martyred in Libya today by Islamists.

Their last words were "Jesus help me!" and they were reported to have refused to leave Christ.  May their prayers be with us!
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • New Martyrs of Libya pray for us!
« Reply #412 on: February 16, 2015, 05:29:05 PM »
Holy Martyrs pray for us!

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #413 on: February 16, 2015, 07:42:15 PM »
Lord have mercy.  :'(
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

--

If you wish to contact me, please use the information in my profile.

Online Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
  • Praying for the Christians in Iraq
« Reply #414 on: February 16, 2015, 07:44:34 PM »
Holy Martyrs Pray for us!

The courage of the Christians in the Middle East is just beyond impressive.
You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.

Offline Tonedawg

« Reply #415 on: February 17, 2015, 01:34:19 AM »
Watching the video was like watching a page out of the Coptic Synaxarium play out in real life!

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
« Reply #416 on: February 17, 2015, 01:40:52 AM »
Elsewhere I heard that a church is going to be built in their memory.  Has anyone else heard this?  Is there a source for this?

Offline xariskai

• юродивый/yurodivy
  • OC.net guru
  • יהוה עזי ומגני
« Reply #417 on: February 17, 2015, 06:07:28 AM »
Memory Eternal!

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #418 on: February 17, 2015, 06:31:35 AM »
Elsewhere I heard that a church is going to be built in their memory.  Has anyone else heard this?  Is there a source for this?
i haven't heard about that. That would be a good gesture and imo appropriate for these saints.  But I haven't heard or read anything that would confirm this.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #419 on: February 17, 2015, 06:53:29 AM »
These are the names of the new Coptic martyrs of Libya:

1. Milad Makeen Zaky
2. Abanub Ayad Atiya
3. Maged Solaiman Shehata
4. Yusuf Shukry Yunan
5. Kirollos Shokry Fawzy
6. Bishoy Astafanus Kamel
7. Somaily Astafanus Kamel
8. Malak Ibrahim Sinweet
9. Tawadros Yusuf Tawadros
10. Girgis Milad Sinweet
11. Mina Fayez Aziz
12. Hany Abdelmesih Salib
13. Bishoy Adel Khalaf
14. Samuel Alham Wilson
15. Worker from Awr village
16. Ezat Bishri Naseef
17. Loqa Nagaty
18. Gaber Munir Adly
19. Esam Badir Samir
20. Malak Farag Abram
21. Sameh Salah Faruq

http://lacopts.org/story/a-statement-on-the-martyrdom-of-21-coptic-christians-in-libya/

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #420 on: February 17, 2015, 07:04:10 AM »
21 Copts were martyred in Libya today by Islamists.

Their last words were "Jesus help me!" and they were reported to have refused to leave Christ.  May their prayers be with us!

Correction from my previous post: their last words were "My Lord Jesus!"

We believe that St. Mark, the Evangelizer of Egypt, was born of what would be present day Libya in Pentapolis by Jewish parents.  When St. Mark was martyred in Egypt, he would receive a vision of Christ during his suffering and would repeat the words "My Lord Jesus!"

Offline Stavro

• OC.net guru
« Reply #421 on: February 17, 2015, 09:09:13 AM »

It was reported in the Egyptian media that the State will donate the money to build a new church in their honor.

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #422 on: February 17, 2015, 09:11:12 AM »
Lord have mercy.
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

--

If you wish to contact me, please use the information in my profile.

Offline TheTrisagion

• The Purple Demon is gonna get you if you don't watch out!
  • Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #423 on: February 17, 2015, 10:51:55 AM »
These are the names of the new Coptic martyrs of Libya:

1. Milad Makeen Zaky
2. Abanub Ayad Atiya
3. Maged Solaiman Shehata
4. Yusuf Shukry Yunan
5. Kirollos Shokry Fawzy
6. Bishoy Astafanus Kamel
7. Somaily Astafanus Kamel
8. Malak Ibrahim Sinweet
9. Tawadros Yusuf Tawadros
10. Girgis Milad Sinweet
11. Mina Fayez Aziz
12. Hany Abdelmesih Salib
13. Bishoy Adel Khalaf
14. Samuel Alham Wilson
15. Worker from Awr village
16. Ezat Bishri Naseef
17. Loqa Nagaty
18. Gaber Munir Adly
19. Esam Badir Samir
20. Malak Farag Abram
21. Sameh Salah Faruq

http://lacopts.org/story/a-statement-on-the-martyrdom-of-21-coptic-christians-in-libya/
May their memories be eternal, our ever memorable brothers who are worthy of all blessedness.
Quote from: Mor Ephrem
Why can't you just take your spiritual edification like a man? 

Offline Stavro

• OC.net guru
« Reply #424 on: February 17, 2015, 01:24:29 PM »
The African martyr among the Copts is a mystery. There are rumors that he is from Chad. He is definitely martyred confessing Christ, but was he Christian before being captured, or was he converted while in captivity?

Holy African martyr among the Copts, pray for us.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #425 on: February 19, 2015, 02:52:49 PM »
The African martyr among the Copts is a mystery. There are rumors that he is from Chad. He is definitely martyred confessing Christ, but was he Christian before being captured, or was he converted while in captivity?

For what it's worth, I found this on the FB page of a youth group of our Church in India:

ISIS announced the execution of 21 Copts but only 20 names were confirmed, most of them were from the province of Minya(Upper Egypt). There was an inaccuracy in the number of Egyptian Hostages; there were only 20 Egyptians(Copts). Then who was this remaining one non-Coptic victim?

Ahram-Canadian News was able to gather information about this man. He was a Chadian Citizen (Darker skin shown in picture) who accepted Christianity after seeing the immense faith of his fellow Coptic Christians to die for Christ. When Terrorist forced him to reject Jesus Christ as God, looking at his Christian friends he replied, “their God is my God“ so the terrorist beheaded him also.

Think about the faith, shining through those 20 Christians who made a non believer, a true believer in Christ, even at the point of death.

In Bible, Gospel of Luke describes about two thieves, being on either side of Jesus as they were crucified. At that very point of death by Crucifixion, one of the thief accepted Christ saying, ‘LORD, remember me when You come into Your kingdom.’ Here this Chadian citizen showed the same faith in Christ.

Can we put ourselves into his place? The faith he showed was not a mean faith, at such a moment, he could believe in Jesus as Lord and King.

May God help us to strength our faith so that the world may see our good works, and glorify our Father which is in heaven. (Mathew 5:16)

(News referred from Ahram-Canadian news)

Source

(edited only for formatting)

Mor no longer posts on OCNet.  He follows threads, posts his responses daily, occasionally starts threads, and responds to private messages when and as he wants.  But he really isn't around anymore.

Offline wgw

• Amateur Liturgical Enthusiast
  • Elder
  • The above icon is St. Athansius. I am in need of fellowship and prayers.
    • The Least of Pilgrims Liturgical Blog
  • Jurisdiction: Chrismated, in a canonical jurisdiction
« Reply #426 on: February 19, 2015, 06:26:15 PM »
Oh how beautiful.  A horrible tragedy, yet Christianity at its most noble.
William Inge KCVO, the Dean of St. Paul's in London from 1911-1934, when asked if he was a liturgiologist replied, “No. Nor do I collect postage stamps."

Please forgive any offense my posts cause; none is intended. Let us bless the Lord ar all times.

Offline makeda

« Reply #427 on: February 19, 2015, 09:01:45 PM »

I know it is an innocent mistake, but I want to point out that all of them are Africans!

Holy new martyrs pray for us!

Offline Stavro

• OC.net guru
« Reply #428 on: February 19, 2015, 11:14:32 PM »

I know it is an innocent mistake, but I want to point out that all of them are Africans!

Holy new martyrs pray for us!

Thank you for the correction. You are absolutely right. We, Copts, are North Africans. I should have been more accurate.

Offline Stavro

• OC.net guru
« Reply #429 on: February 19, 2015, 11:16:10 PM »

For what it's worth, I found this on the FB page of a youth group of our Church in India:

ISIS announced the execution of 21 Copts but only 20 names were confirmed, most of them were from the province of Minya(Upper Egypt). There was an inaccuracy in the number of Egyptian Hostages; there were only 20 Egyptians(Copts). Then who was this remaining one non-Coptic victim?

Ahram-Canadian News was able to gather information about this man. He was a Chadian Citizen (Darker skin shown in picture) who accepted Christianity after seeing the immense faith of his fellow Coptic Christians to die for Christ. When Terrorist forced him to reject Jesus Christ as God, looking at his Christian friends he replied, “their God is my God“ so the terrorist beheaded him also.

Think about the faith, shining through those 20 Christians who made a non believer, a true believer in Christ, even at the point of death.

In Bible, Gospel of Luke describes about two thieves, being on either side of Jesus as they were crucified. At that very point of death by Crucifixion, one of the thief accepted Christ saying, ‘LORD, remember me when You come into Your kingdom.’ Here this Chadian citizen showed the same faith in Christ.

Can we put ourselves into his place? The faith he showed was not a mean faith, at such a moment, he could believe in Jesus as Lord and King.

May God help us to strength our faith so that the world may see our good works, and glorify our Father which is in heaven. (Mathew 5:16)

Source

Thank you Mor. Truly appreciated.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #430 on: February 20, 2015, 02:19:42 AM »
Thank you Mor. Truly appreciated.

We appreciate them, and we appreciate your Church who gave them to us as intercessors before God. 

Offline qawe

• Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #431 on: February 20, 2015, 08:56:08 PM »

Source

How did we get this information if the only people who would know this are either members of ISIS or are martyred?

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #432 on: February 21, 2015, 12:18:20 AM »
No idea, I just passed it along.  I figured some of you might be familiar enough with "Ahram-Canadian News" to find out more.   

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
  • Faith: Orthodox-ethnically delicious
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in AmericaOutsideAmerica
« Reply #433 on: February 21, 2015, 04:20:06 AM »
Lord, have mercy.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Another blog - http://literarydiktator.blogspot.com/

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #434 on: February 21, 2015, 12:58:31 PM »
How did we get this information if the only people who would know this are either members of ISIS or are martyred?

The plot thickens:

Reports reaching the studios of Sankofa Radio, indicates that a Ghanaian is alleged to be amongst 21 Egyptian Christians beheaded by ISIL affiliates in Libya.

http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/NewsArchive/artikel.php?ID=346906

Video of 21 Egyptian Coptic Christians being marched along a Libyan beach before being beheaded by black-clad members of ISIS is hard for any civilized person to watch, but experts who made it through the sickening, five-minute clip told FoxNews.com Friday they came to the same conclusion: The footage was faked.

No one holds out hope the victims, mostly poor fishermen who had gone to Libya to scratch out a living, are still alive. But several anomalies in the video, which was posted online Feb. 15, indicated to trained eyes that at least some of the production was done on "green screen" with background added later, perhaps to disguise the real location of the atrocity. A day after the clip went viral, Egyptian warplanes struck hard at an eastern port city near Tripoli, where the video appeared to have been shot.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2015/02/21/isis-army-7-footers-experts-say-video-copt-beheadings-manipulated/

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
« Reply #435 on: February 22, 2015, 12:25:39 AM »
From an interview with Bishop Angaelos:

Q: Not long after the video released, you tweeted about the killings, using the hashtag #FatherForgive. Did you mean that you forgive ISIS?

A: Yes. It may seem unbelievable to some of your readers, but as a Christian and a Christian minister I have a responsibility to myself and to others to guide them down this path of forgiveness. We don't forgive the act because the act is heinous. But we do forgive the killers from the depths of our hearts. Otherwise, we would become consumed by anger and hatred. It becomes a spiral of violence that has no place in this world.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/20/living/coptic-bishop-isis/

What a remarkable witness.

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
« Reply #436 on: February 22, 2015, 12:37:45 AM »
This from lacopts:

His Holiness Pope Tawadros II announced the inclusion of the 21 Coptic New Martyrs of Libya in the Synaxarium of the Coptic Orthodox Church today. Every year, they will be commemorated on 8 Amshir in the Coptic calendar, which corresponds to 15 February in the Gregorian calendar, the same day as the Feast of the Presentation of our Lord in the Temple.

Holy Martyrs pray for us!

http://lacopts.org/story/the-new-martyrs-of-libya-added-to-the-coptic-synaxarium/
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 12:44:44 AM by Salpy »

Offline JTLoganville

« Reply #437 on: February 22, 2015, 12:52:05 AM »
From byzcath.org forum:

Edward Yong of Singapore has written these for the New Martyrs:

Draft troparion of the Libyan Martyrs. Suggestions for improvement are very welcome.!

Tone 1 Kyivan, perhaps?

Like meek lambs ye cried out with your last breaths,/
’ O Lord Jesus’,/
and like roses blooming in the desert of Libya,/
ye shed your blood for the Master./
With godly valour, ye showed your godless persecuters/
true strength from the true faith,/
O pride of Minya and boast of the church of St Mark, / i
ntercede with Christ that our souls may be saved.

Kontakion in Tone 8
(to the special melody ‘To thee the Champion Leader’)

O ye new-martyrs, faithful sons of the nation of the Cross,
Ye denied not Christ to save your mortal lives,
with your constancy ye earned the true crowns of life.
Ye are witnesses to us who venerate your sufferings
that the Lord gives courage in the hour of trial,
By your example we sing:
O Lord Jesus, be our comfort and strength!

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
« Reply #438 on: February 22, 2015, 01:10:25 AM »
Welcome to the forum, JTLoganville.  Also welcome to Tonedawg, who joined us earlier in this thread.

Offline Michael1950

• What we do in this life echoes in eternity.
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church
« Reply #439 on: February 22, 2015, 05:41:51 AM »
It is of extreme importance that we pray not only for those Coptic Christians who gave their lives for their belief in the Christ, but that we also pray for those who committed these acts. Muslims, although they follow a false prophet, are also, as children of God, worthy of our prayers that our Heavenly Father will forgive them and bring them to the Light of His only begotten Son.
Michael 1950

Offline mabsoota

• Archon
  • Kyrie eleison
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox (Coptic)
« Reply #440 on: February 22, 2015, 05:37:04 PM »
look at this video (in the post dated feb 20) - i just saw it (been off line most of the week).

http://tasbeha.org/community/discussion/15555/21-coptic-christians-executed-by-islamic-state#latest

just wow.
that is great faith to respond like that when both your brothers have been killed.

Offline Michael1950

• What we do in this life echoes in eternity.
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church
« Reply #441 on: February 24, 2015, 06:10:58 AM »
Blessed be these Martyrs who shed their blood for their faith. Their blood is mingled with that of Christ, the Lamb of God who died that we may have life.

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
« Reply #442 on: Yesterday at 11:00:06 PM »
It seems another Copt has been killed in Libya:

http://www.christiantoday.com/article/headless.corpse.of.an.egyptian.coptic.christian.found.in.libya/49377.htm

The headless corpse of an Egyptian Coptic Christian has been found in Libya after an attack which bears the hallmarks of Islamic State.

The victim, Mansour Saad Awad, worked on a poultry farm near Mechili, in the province of Cyrenaica, near where he was found, says the Fides news service.

The news broke as Coptic Orthodox Patriarch Tawadros II met the families of the 21 Libyan Christians murdered by Islamic State terrorists in their village of Samalot, where most of them came from. The Patriarch gave death certificates to the families of the victims, certifying their martyrdom.