OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 12:15:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vatican Army  (Read 5461 times) Average Rating: 0
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2010, 04:32:07 PM »

As I said above it is better to be radical than a syncretist. Hopefully, in the next couple of years we Roman Catholics will return to our traditional understanding of the Orthodox world. All of this syncretism which has gone on in the last 50 years is enough.
No, this place has never had an Orthodox minority, for it is too far West.

Really, this looks rather Eastern, despite the damage done by repainting after the Hussites desecrated her.  Where do the Poles say they got her from again?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthodox_Church_of_the_Icon_of_Our_Lady_of_Cz%C4%99stochowa
See? not too far West.  Btw, Orthodox monks from Egypt went to Ireland, so you are not too far West at all.

St. Photios sent SS. Cyril and Methodios to St. Rastislav,

who evangelized Rastislav's subjects in their own Slavonic language, in his realm:

Looks West of Poland.

St. Methodosius on his death bed designated his disciple St. Gorazd, a local nobleman, as his successor.

http://www.omda.bg/ENGL/HISTORY/sedmotch.html

The Vatican, however, let the Germans suppressed the Slavonic rite.  St. Gorazd, however, remained.  It seems that he founded the episcopate at Cracow.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 04:33:39 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2010, 04:35:07 PM »

The roots of the Vatican Army stem from Rome being given the lands of the last Exarch of Revenna. As the Empire collapsed the Pope was given the those lands to in effect be his own Exarch and protect himself and the Christian West who was without a Western Emperor, Caesar, etc.

I thought he got them in the Donation of Constantine. Roll Eyes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exarch_of_Ravenna#The_end_of_the_Exarchate
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 04:36:11 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2010, 06:06:46 PM »

The roots of the Vatican Army stem from Rome being given the lands of the last Exarch of Revenna. As the Empire collapsed the Pope was given the those lands to in effect be his own Exarch and protect himself and the Christian West who was without a Western Emperor, Caesar, etc.

I think we both know the answer to that but I remember hearing in a lecture that the lands of Ravenna were give to the See of Rome by a protector of the west... Was it the Franks? I don't remember.

His ally Pippin the Younger, King of the Franks, donated the conquered lands of the former exarchate to the Papacy in 756; this donation, which was confirmed by his son Charlemagne in 774, marked the beginning of the temporal power of the popes as the Patrimony of Saint Peter.

Hey, if the Eastern Empire is going to do nothing but send their own Mercenaries to subjugate you and your people then you've got to get your own protection... Hello Pippin!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 06:10:12 PM by ignatius » Logged

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2010, 06:26:18 PM »

I think we both know the answer to that but I remember hearing in a lecture that the lands of Ravenna were give to the See of Rome by a protector of the west... Was it the Franks? I don't remember.

His ally Pippin the Younger, King of the Franks, donated the conquered lands of the former exarchate to the Papacy in 756; this donation, which was confirmed by his son Charlemagne in 774, marked the beginning of the temporal power of the popes as the Patrimony of Saint Peter.

Hey, if the Eastern Empire is going to do nothing but send their own Mercenaries to subjugate you and your people then you've got to get your own protection... Hello Pippin!

Eutychius, the last exarch of Ravenna, was killed by the Lombards in 751.  When in 756 the Franks drove the Lombards out, Pope Stephen II claimed the exarchate. His ally Pippin the Younger, King of the Franks, donated the conquered lands of the former exarchate to the Papacy in 756; this donation, which was confirmed by his son Charlemagne in 774, marked the beginning of the temporal power of the popes as the Patrimony of Saint Peter. The archbishoprics within the former exarchate, however, had developed traditions of local secular power and independence, which contributed to the fragmenting localization of powers. Three centuries later, that independence would fuel the rise of the independent communes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exarchate_of_ravenna#The_end_of_the_Exarchate

synLeszka
High Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic

« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2010, 01:43:05 PM »

As I said above it is better to be radical than a syncretist. Hopefully, in the next couple of years we Roman Catholics will return to our traditional understanding of the Orthodox world. All of this syncretism which has gone on in the last 50 years is enough.

I can't believe that I wrote this.
Now I do not agree with the views I held back then.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2010, 01:59:07 PM »

I can't believe that I wrote this.
Now I do not agree with the views I held back then.

What do you believe now?

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: