OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 05:34:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trinity Question  (Read 703 times) Average Rating: 0
Firiel

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

St. Alexandra the New Martyr

« on: August 23, 2006, 12:19:43 PM »

Hello, I've recently posted my "why I want Orthodoxy" story here, so you may or may not know that I've been raised in a JW (Jehovah Witness) household. Because of this, all of my Trinity knowledge comes from books or the internet, and a few of the websites have contradicted others. I recall reading once (no idea where) that the persons of the Trinity, whilst all being God, are not equal. Other sources have said that they are equal, but the Father is in an authoritative position over the Son and the Holy Spirit. Are either of these the Orthodox teaching? If not, what is? Thanks very much and God Bless!  Smiley

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 01:32:08 PM »

Other sources have said that they are equal, but the Father is in an authoritative position over the Son and the Holy Spirit.

If I am not mistaken, this is the Orthodox Christian perspective.

We believe that God is One in substance and Triune in persons. We worship One God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity, neither confusing the persons nor dividing the substance. Creation is the work in time of the Blessed Trinity. The world is not self-created, neither has it existed from eternity, but it is the product of the wisdom, the power, and the will of the One God in Trinity. God the Father is the prime cause of creation and God the Son and God the Holy Spirit took part in creation, God the Son perfecting creation and God the Holy Spirit vivifying creation.
http://www.goarch.org/en/ourfaith/articles/article8029.asp

Peace.

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 06:31:27 PM »

Hello, I've recently posted my "why I want Orthodoxy" story here, so you may or may not know that I've been raised in a JW (Jehovah Witness) household. Because of this, all of my Trinity knowledge comes from books or the internet, and a few of the websites have contradicted others. I recall reading once (no idea where) that the persons of the Trinity, whilst all being God, are not equal. Other sources have said that they are equal, but the Father is in an authoritative position over the Son and the Holy Spirit. Are either of these the Orthodox teaching? If not, what is? Thanks very much and God Bless!  Smiley

The Persons of the Holy Trinity are co-equal and share One Essence. The Orthodox hold that Father is the Eternal Begetter of the Son and is also the Source from which the Holy Spirit Eternally Proceeds, so in this sense, God is a "monarchy".

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Firiel

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

St. Alexandra the New Martyr

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 12:03:37 PM »

Ah, I see. Thanks very much for the explanations, ozgeorge and Matthew77.  Smiley

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: