OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 10:34:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holy Archangels Monastery Kendalia TX  (Read 1609 times) Average Rating: 0
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« on: August 22, 2006, 04:49:36 PM »

Finally some fair and balanced news reporting.  If you live in and around San Antonio, Texas, Orthodoxy and monasticism means "weird, pedophile scam artists" to the average local who pays 50 cents for a paper.  During the last 6 weeks, the San Antonio Express News has run several large front page articles on the latest Christ of the Hills monastery scandal.  They also had some big spreads back in the late 90's during the first round of crimes.  COTH's problems have given Orthodoxy nothing but bad press for years in this area.   It's a shame the godly monks of Holy Archangels have been misassociated at all with them.

Follow the link below to a good article on the beautiful monastery of Elder Ephraim, Holy Archangels Monastery.  Click on the slide show with the photo of Father Dositheos and you get nice audio interviews with the photos.

(Forgive me if you have any problems with the address below - I'm an idiot when it comes to this kind of stuff and couldn't get an automatic link to the website.  Can anybody offer me any tips?)

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/religion/stories/MYSA082206.01B.ORTHDOXY0822.2f2723f.html

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/religion/stories/MYSA082206.01B.ORTHDOXY0822.2f2723f.html

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 05:35:56 PM »

I was thrilled to see the piece about Holy Archangels in the news this morning, especially with all the garbage going on up in Blanco.  It's about time we had some favorable light in the SA press!

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 10:58:43 PM »

And what a wonderful monastery it is.  That article is right on.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Tags: Texas Monastery 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: