OrthodoxChristianity.net
January 30, 2015, 02:42:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thinking about going to Divine Liturgy  (Read 696 times) Average Rating: 0
eddybear
Elder

Faith: Anglican, officially anyway
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Exeter, UK

« on: January 25, 2015, 11:26:50 AM »

I've got to that stage in my journey where I'd like to go to Divine Liturgy, to see for myself what it is like. I broached the subject with my wife last night, and she wasn't against it. She is a heterodox Christian, many years evangelical but in more recent years disaffected with it. She hasn't been to church regularly for years, though much of that is due to health.

There is only one Orthodox Church near enough for me to go to, because of circumstances. My wife is long term sick with ME (also known as CFS) and depression, and is very disabled (hardly able to walk, even with sticks) and I'm her sore carer. I can leave her for a couple of hours or so, but that's about it, so I can't travel any significant distance. I live in a village in the countryside, and in the nearby town there is a Russian Orthodox service once a month. They have no church building, but an Anglican Church lets them borrow their building on the first Sunday of each month.

Next Sunday is a first Sunday, so I'm thinking of biting the bullet and going, but I'm rather anxious. I have a nagging doubt that I ought to stay in the Anglican Church, as it is the only church in my village so that might be where God wants me. I'd value prayers, as I really don't want to try and progress in my own strength, without God's blessing, especially if this isn't the place God wants me to worship Him.
Georgii
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR, German Diocese

Holy Martyr Afra, pray to God for us!

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 11:56:59 AM »

Lord have mercy on eddybear.

Go and see!

If God wants you to remain Anglican, He'll let you know. Trust Him.

my garment accuses me, for it is not a wedding garment
jewish voice
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: inquire of OO

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 02:01:33 PM »

One time won't hurt  Smiley then you can report back your thoughts on it.
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 02:11:09 PM »

I'll be praying for you and your wife.  If you're okay with leaving her for a few hours as you've indicated, you should go and see and pray.  Otherwise, you'll be left with a nagging "what if?".  Better to have it resolved.  Guide will guide you, and I believe that will be home to His Church.  Smiley

My sins run out behind me and I do not see them, but today I am coming to judge the errors of another.
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 04:52:09 PM »

go go go!
 Grin
Kerdy
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 04:57:28 PM »

You have nothing to lose by checking it out.
xOrthodox4Christx
Protokentarchos

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 05:35:42 PM »

I wanted to go to DL today, but I had to work too early. I could've attended Orthros, but I figured I'd sleep in instead.  Tongue

"We knew not whether we were in Heaven or on Earth… We only know that God dwells there among the people, and their service is fairer than the ceremonies of other nations." (St. Vladimir of Kiev)
eddybear
Elder

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 10:23:07 AM »

I wanted to go to DL today, but I had to work too early. I could've attended Orthros, but I figured I'd sleep in instead.  Tongue
I slept in too, yesterday. Hard to get to a 10:30 service after waking at 11:25!
LenInSebastopol
Dimly Illumined
High Elder

Faith: Baptized, March 9, 2014
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 10:55:35 AM »

I've got to that stage in my journey where I'd like to go to Divine Liturgy, to see for myself what it is like. I broached the subject with my wife last night, and she wasn't against it. She is a heterodox Christian, many years evangelical but in more recent years disaffected with it. She hasn't been to church regularly for years, though much of that is due to health.

There is only one Orthodox Church near enough for me to go to, because of circumstances. My wife is long term sick with ME (also known as CFS) and depression, and is very disabled (hardly able to walk, even with sticks) and I'm her sore carer. I can leave her for a couple of hours or so, but that's about it, so I can't travel any significant distance. I live in a village in the countryside, and in the nearby town there is a Russian Orthodox service once a month. They have no church building, but an Anglican Church lets them borrow their building on the first Sunday of each month.

Next Sunday is a first Sunday, so I'm thinking of biting the bullet and going, but I'm rather anxious. I have a nagging doubt that I ought to stay in the Anglican Church, as it is the only church in my village so that might be where God wants me. I'd value prayers, as I really don't want to try and progress in my own strength, without God's blessing, especially if this isn't the place God wants me to worship Him.

Seems to me that you are to go, as you are being called to do so. Your Anglican village church is simply geography, not a calling by God.
I've prayed for you and your wife this morning. Very touched.

Lord, have mercy on Eddybear and his beloved.

Mark 14:36
God is with us, understand O' ye nations, and submit yourselves, for God is with us
eddybear
Elder

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 01:33:00 PM »

Thank you everyone for your encouragements and prayers. I'm feeling more comfortable that to go along and see is a good thing to do.

Len - I hear what you're saying, but part of the 'problem' is that, about 3 years ago and not long after we'd moved to this village, I felt God was calling me to go to the village church. Originally my wife and I had tried a different church that we decided wasn't for us, and I'd dismissed the village church due to something in the parish magazine that I hugely disagreed with. I now go irregularly, my wife never goes, but I'm also on the Parochial Church Council. Again, that was something I felt led to do. Was that calling just meant to be for a time, until I was ready to go to an Orthodox Church? Maybe - that's what I'm hoping to find out.
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 03:21:57 PM »

my last protestant church was an anglican village church!
we even sat in on a council meeting as it happened just after another meeting,
and the other meeting consisted of the council members, myself and mr. mabsoot.
(who had to remind me that i wasn't actually allowed to say anything as a non council member!)

i had seen the bbc tv series 'vicar of dibley', and other than having a male vicar,
i could see very many similarities between our tiny parish and the fictional one!
there was even a council member voting against all the obvious decisions just because he / she was grumpy
(or so it seemed to me)!

i usually attended the catholic service that happened right after the anglican one
(each was so short, one needed both) so when i finally joined the orthodox church,
the parishioners did not see it as a big change. 2 people were interested and asked questions,
others gave me 'knowing' looks ('not one of us').
i never needed to formally leave, as we moved house a while afterwards, so i was not in a difficult position.

i enjoyed the church, though, and even had a go at bell ringing!
i think a lot of people in villages feel isolated, though,
maybe that's why it takes them many years to get to know outsiders.
we were not there many years, so only got invited to the vicar's house and 2 of the catholic parishioners houses.
only one lady came to my house, others were always 'too busy'.
this made me look in the mirror and count my heads to see if i had grown an extra one...
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 04:01:47 PM »

Was that calling just meant to be for a time, until I was ready to go to an Orthodox Church? Maybe - that's what I'm hoping to find out.

That's what I'm thinking, Eddy.

My sins run out behind me and I do not see them, but today I am coming to judge the errors of another.
LenInSebastopol
Dimly Illumined
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 12:47:50 PM »

Eddybear-you do have me wondering. Was the magazine article that disenchanted you have some accuracy? Here in our country our press usually tries to find the most obtuse and then badgers that to some twisted end.

If you joined the Parish Council, then the mag article could not have been all that terrible, no? You certainly are in a pickle in light of the frequency of church attendance!  One would think that due to frequency of attendance as well as a calling for the Experience of God in Orthodoxy ......well in time and leading to Orthodoxy, if so moved, a letter of resignation to the council would follow. I pray your wife, in time, would follow as well as there is an abundance of joy and peace in Orthodoxy.

Lord, have mercy and a gentle way with this couple who seek You.

God is with us, understand O' ye nations, and submit yourselves, for God is with us
eddybear
Elder

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 02:48:49 PM »

Eddybear-you do have me wondering. Was the magazine article that disenchanted you have some accuracy? Here in our country our press usually tries to find the most obtuse and then badgers that to some twisted end.

If you joined the Parish Council, then the mag article could not have been all that terrible, no? You certainly are in a pickle in light of the frequency of church attendance!  One would think that due to frequency of attendance as well as a calling for the Experience of God in Orthodoxy ......well in time and leading to Orthodoxy, if so moved, a letter of resignation to the council would follow. I pray your wife, in time, would follow as well as there is an abundance of joy and peace in Orthodoxy.

Lord, have mercy and a gentle way with this couple who seek You.
The article that put me off, by one of the Lay Readers in the church, was about a Sikh wedding he had been to, after which he was suggesting that all maybe all religions worship the same God. From getting to know him better, I think his heart is in the right place. I've come to realise he is the sort of person who likes to think a lot, and does some of his thinking in the open. It means unfortunately that some of what comes from the pulpit when he is taking a service can be dubious. The priest in charge of the parish is someone I would trust more though.

Frequency of attendance is an issue. It is partly due to energy levels. I spend most of my life constantly tired, with the demands of caring for my wife and holding down a job, so when the weekend comes I often just don't have any energy left for church. I have to confess it's also partly due to motivation though.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 02:49:44 PM by eddybear » Logged
Dan-Romania
Warned
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 02:52:09 PM »

Don't think, go!

This user no longer posts here.
LenInSebastopol
Dimly Illumined
High Elder

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2015, 05:34:57 PM »

Don't think, go!

Wrote the young whipper-snapper!

EB, I know what you mean, but the young-whipper snapper does have a point, though probably minor.  Cheesy
One can talk one's self out of much. Make sure your wife is comfortable, safe and able to do well for the two to three hours you will be gone.  I can almost promise that on your return she will see a gleam in your eye that will cause her to desire the best as well.
Keep us informed and God Bless.

Volnutt
Protokentarchos

Faith: Might become Orthodox

Hey nonny nonny! Hey nonny nonny!

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2015, 07:10:38 PM »

Lord Jesus, please guide and protect your precious children.

Herr Jesus Christus, Sohns Gottes, erbarme dich meiner, eines Suenders.
Dan-Romania
Warned
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 04:50:46 PM »

Don't think, go!

EB, I know what you mean, but the young-whipper snapper does have a point, though probably minor.  Cheesy
One can talk one's self out of much. Make sure your wife is comfortable, safe and able to do well for the two to three hours you will be gone.  I can almost promise that on your return she will see a gleam in your eye that will cause her to desire the best as well.
excuse you?

This user no longer posts here.
LenInSebastopol
Dimly Illumined
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 07:05:07 PM »

Don't think, go!

excuse you?
There's no excuse for me. I am simply a rude slob, plain and simple.
However not all things are as simple as telling someone to "just go" and not think.
I do not 'just go' to church on Sunday. There is Saturday Night Vespers, Confession, Pre-Communion Prayers, etc. IOW, telling one to 'just go' without knowing all the elements causes this person to think that those that say 'just go' are young whipper-snappers. If you are not one, you may have those types of impulses. It's like a young man telling me that age is simply 'a state of mind'! Now how does he know?
Told you I was rude, now you've proof.

Carthodox

Faith: attending Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Greeks

« Reply #19 on: Today at 10:48:46 AM »

This month, few weeks ago, i attended an Orthodox Church near by. It's a Greek Orthodox Church (but spoken in Dutch).
I walked to the door and was confused,"where is the holy water to dip my fingers in?!?"
Of course.....it's not RC Church, silly me!  Grin
Everything is just different.
Since this day, every week i thought,"which church to go this week? Catholic? Orthodox?  Roll Eyes "
But until today, i actually kept going back to Orthodox Church. I also attended vespers.
I love the icons, candles, friendliness, the Divine Liturgy, the standing up in the whole service, the sign of the cross couple of times, the honor they give! I long to go there again this weekend!
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: GOAA

fleem
« Reply #20 on: Today at 12:02:41 PM »

This month, few weeks ago, i attended an Orthodox Church near by. It's a Greek Orthodox Church (but spoken in Dutch).
I walked to the door and was confused,"where is the holy water to dip my fingers in?!?"
Since this day, every week i thought,"which church to go this week? Catholic? Orthodox?  Roll Eyes "
But until today, i actually kept going back to Orthodox Church. I also attended vespers.
I love the icons, candles, friendliness, the Divine Liturgy, the standing up in the whole service, the sign of the cross couple of times, the honor they give! I long to go there again this weekend!

That's good. Welcome to the board.

He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.
Carthodox

Faith: attending Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Greeks

« Reply #21 on: Today at 12:19:29 PM »

That's good. Welcome to the board.

Thank you.
I noticed that it was my first post xD although i have been visiting this forum every day until i decided to register 1 á 2 weeks ago
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

fleem
« Reply #22 on: Today at 12:22:37 PM »

Nice to know! The more, the merrier.  Smiley

He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.
elephant
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #23 on: Today at 12:29:04 PM »

Welcome! 

Once we had a Roman Catholic visitor who blessed herself with the dish of water kept in the candle stand to extinguish candle stubs.  She said "Oh, that's not holy water is it?"  I answered her "Well, it is now!"

Love, elephant
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: