Author Topic: Bible versions and communion  (Read 146 times)

ThePapist and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online Eruvande

• Elder
  • Faith: Anglican
  • Jurisdiction: Worcestershire
Bible versions and communion
« on: Yesterday at 04:38:09 PM »
Misleading thread title alert!

In reality I have two unrelated queries, the first being which is the preferred translation to read from an Orthodox perspective? I'm quite attached through familiarity and long use to my KJV, but don't know if it's considered at all sensible.

The other query is to do with communion. As some of you know I attend an extremely low church Anglican church. Despite my intentions otherwise, I shall be doing so for sometime, but I'm totally conflicted about taking communion. I believe very firmly in Orthodox teaching about what happens in an Orthodox Divine Liturgy, and also that this doesn't happen in my church. But then, my church doesn't believe that the bread and wine are really Jesus either, so on this, we are of a piece.

So the question is, do I partake in my Anglican church? Obviously, as a simple enquirer to Orthodoxy, I understand I am not bound by anything, but my conscience is troubled.

Online Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Protostrator
  • This dog's body intentionally left blank
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Czech Lands
Re: Bible versions and communion
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 04:45:33 PM »
Misleading thread title alert!

In reality I have two unrelated queries, the first being which is the preferred translation to read from an Orthodox perspective? I'm quite attached through familiarity and long use to my KJV, but don't know if it's considered at all sensible.

There is no "preferred" translation, generally speaking.  Some jurisdictions will require one or the other translation to be used in liturgical worship, but that doesn't necessarily restrict what you read on your own.  Reading one of those translations at home may be a good place to start, though, since they've been vetted to some degree. 

The KJV is one of them, so I think you're OK if that still works for you. 

The other query is to do with communion. As some of you know I attend an extremely low church Anglican church. Despite my intentions otherwise, I shall be doing so for sometime, but I'm totally conflicted about taking communion. I believe very firmly in Orthodox teaching about what happens in an Orthodox Divine Liturgy, and also that this doesn't happen in my church. But then, my church doesn't believe that the bread and wine are really Jesus either, so on this, we are of a piece.

So the question is, do I partake in my Anglican church? Obviously, as a simple enquirer to Orthodoxy, I understand I am not bound by anything, but my conscience is troubled.

What would be your reasons for partaking? 
This is a great day for this forum and for the internet. Mor's energies like a burning comet are raining possibilities for enlightenment upon us all.

Everyone wants Mor.

Mor, you're a jackass.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Humble Servant and Spokesperson of the Fourteenth Apostle
  • Hoplitarches
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 04:48:38 PM »
As a fellow long-time catechumen, I use the NKJV Orthodox Study Bible for the New Testament and Psalms and a regular KJV for the rest of the OT. I grew up with it as well and like it a lot.

When I started in Orthodoxy, I continued to take communion at my wife's Methodist church. After about a year, I felt as if I could no longer do so in good conscience. My priest indicated it was not wrong for me to continue communing there so long as I was not chrismated, but it was a matter of conscience for me, so I stopped doing so. It opened up some wounds with my wife, but she got over it pretty quick and I have not communed in over two years now. I really want to be able to, particularly after understanding the Orthodox view on it, but I simply don't feel right taking it in her church. I would say follow your conscience, but I would also recommend discussing it with you husband. If it is going to be a great affront to him and cause marital problems, then obviously you would need to decide on what is the most prudent course of action for you personally. My wife was mad for about a week and then we went back to our status quo of not discussing religion.
Quote from: King Olav Tryggvasson
I order you and all your subjects to be baptized. If you refuse, I'll have you killed on the spot and I swear I will ravage every island with fire and steel.

Offline Iconodule

• Professor of Cryptopatristics at Miskatonic University
  • Merarches
  • Monsters from the Id
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 05:00:41 PM »
I love the KJV and still use it. With the apocrypha I think it's a perfectly suitable translation for Orthodox. I know many Orthodox parishes use the KJV for their gospel and epistle readings. 

Also, someone took the KJV Old Testament and revised it to conform with the Septuagint. You can read it online here: http://orthodoxengland.org.uk/zot.htm

Please help an Orthodox artist and his four children keep their home.

Online Sam G

• Pre-Nikonian Hyperdox Convert
  • OC.net guru
  • Does this pose make me look existential?
  • Faith: Orthodox Christianity
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR - Old Rite
« Reply #4 on: Today at 01:10:51 AM »
The KJV is my favorite translation of the New Testament. I usually use the Douay-Rheims or Brenton's Septuagint for the Old Testament.

To answer your question on communion, I would stop communing. The Eucharist is the symbol of unity par excellence. To partake of the same bread is a sign of agreement. If you're stuck going to an Anglican church, you can respectfully observe, but I wouldn't participate in the sacraments.

Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity.

Offline Gamliel

• Protokentarchos
  • "Truth is born as lightning strikes -- Archilochos
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:22:35 AM »
I like the RSV.

Offline scamandrius

• Musicians don't dance
  • Taxiarches
  • Why do I waste my time here?
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #6 on: Today at 01:32:05 AM »
KJV all the way!  A masterpiece of English translation.

Offline RaphaCam

• Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Rio de Janeiro & OR (POC)
« Reply #7 on: Today at 01:47:40 AM »
I love the KJV. By far my preferred translation of the Bible into any modern language.
The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.

Online Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Protostrator
  • This dog's body intentionally left blank
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Czech Lands
« Reply #8 on: Today at 12:19:30 PM »
This is a great day for this forum and for the internet. Mor's energies like a burning comet are raining possibilities for enlightenment upon us all.

Everyone wants Mor.

Mor, you're a jackass.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Άγιος κέιθ ο Υμνογράφος και Μελωδός, να μας σώσει!
    • Blog
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Russo-Finn Orthodox Church Outside Spain
« Reply #9 on: Today at 02:13:21 PM »
KJV will always have a special place in my heart, but I consistently use RSV now.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Online Eruvande

• Elder
  • Faith: Anglican
  • Jurisdiction: Worcestershire
« Reply #10 on: Today at 03:38:05 PM »
Thanks for the input all! I shall stick to what I know with the scriptures.

As to communion, I suppose I would be taking it out of a sense of pressured obligation as a member of the church and a heavy dose of open table 'thsis is what Christians do'. I've spoken to my husband about it and he doesn't mind if I don't partake so I guess I'm probably just chicken about what the vicar might think.