Author Topic: Why Orthodoxy?  (Read 109 times)

Vanhyo and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline petros22

• Faith: Struggling Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Ordinariate of Our Lady of Walsingham
Why Orthodoxy?
« on: Yesterday at 07:41:11 PM »
Some of you may have read my thread in the Orthodox-Catholic dialogue forum about my crisis of faith and increasing confidence that the RC doctrine of papal infallibility is fundamentally flawed. This obviously places me in substantial disagreement with the Catholic Church. Having said that, there is a list as long as my arm of different churches and traditions out there, so I'd like so views on this: why is Orthodoxy different? Why is Orthodoxy more true than any other set of beliefs? I'd appreciate any insights on this. Views from anyone who converted from any other Christian tradition would be especially useful. Many thanks in advance.
Almighty God, unto whom all hearts be open, all desires known, and from whom no secretes are hid: cleanse the thoughts of our hearts by the inspiration of thy holy spirit, that we may perfectly love thee, and worthily magnify thy holy name: through Christ our Lord. Amen.

Offline benjohn146

• Elder
    • Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church, Belleville, Ontario, Canada
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Metropolis of Toronto
Re: Why Orthodoxy?
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 08:20:15 PM »
History for me did a lot. At looking what happen at the schism in 1054 and the sack of Constantinople in 1204. Just to see how the Orthodox Church remained unchanged throughout history and kept the Tradition delivered by the Apostles compared on how the RCC "decided" to make the teachings evolving to adapt to whatever they saw fit to adapt them... until today's mess.

The Orthodox Church by Kallistos Ware is the book to see how things happen from the OC point of view.
St Makarios, pray for us.

Offline RaphaCam

• Archon
  • Be good works the daily nourishment of your hearts
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 09:39:26 PM »
I struggled between Eastern Orthodoxy and Roman Catholicism. I felt much safer after studying a bit about the differences between RC and EO doctrine, but that's definitely not what converted me. Knowing about the lives of the saints, observing the recent proofs of the longsuffering of the Church (under Communism, in African missions, etc.), and, above all, the love I felt inside my own parish, truly called me to the faith. I recall a quote by Florensky: "The flavour of Orthodoxy, the countenance of Orthodoxy, can be sensed, but it cannot be subjected to any arithmetical calculation; Orthodoxy manifests itself but does not prove itself. This is why for everyone wishing to comprehend Orthodoxy, there is only one means — the direct Orthodox experience."
"Behold, the mystical sacrifice, fully accomplished, is ushered in. In fervent faith let us draw near, that we may become sharers in everlasting life. Alleluia."

Please pray for myself, my family and my friends.

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese). Last article: Fontes de fé da Igreja Ortodoxa

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 10:35:33 PM »
Generally, or it terms of Christianity? In terms of Christianity, Orthodoxy is the continuity of the Church of the beginning to today. In general, I've come to believe that other religions and philosophies are not as life-affirming in the Nietzschean sense, as Orthodoxy. That's my state of mind anyway.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”- St. Ambrose of Milan

"Now one cannot be a half-hearted Christian, but only entirely or not at all." -Fr. Seraphim Rose

"He who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen." (1 John 4:20)

Online Vanhyo

• Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Layman in the Bulgarian Orthodox Church
« Reply #4 on: Today at 07:18:04 AM »
why is Orthodoxy different? Why is Orthodoxy more true than any other set of beliefs? I'd appreciate any insights on this. Views from anyone who converted from any other Christian tradition would be especially useful. Many thanks in advance.

When i was a member of the protestant confusion i begun to come into the conclusion that christianity is a matter of God-appointed authority, without it, it is really just an anarchy, and self-authority, and anyone came up with any wild ideas on his own.

So there were 3 denominations that appear to poses Apostolic Authority, the Orthodox, the vatican and the anti-chalcedonians. At the time i thought they were more or less on equal standing because of Apostolic succession, however i choose orthodoxy because of the direct miracles that God perform each time in favor of the Orthodox whenever there is a direct confrontation, affirming the Orthodox and repudiate the heterodox.

I also used the next formula, if the copts, split from us in the fifth century, doesn't it follow that our only difference should be the disagreement over chalcedon ? And if this is true, doesn't it prove that Rome have added to and altered the faith ?

« Last Edit: Today at 07:18:45 AM by Vanhyo »

Offline Lepanto

• Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Munich and Freising
« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:26:39 AM »
@Vanhyo: Which direct miracles in which confrontations are you referring to?

Online Vanhyo

• Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Layman in the Bulgarian Orthodox Church
« Reply #6 on: Today at 01:46:25 PM »
@Vanhyo: Which direct miracles in which confrontations are you referring to?
At the time i didn't know many, just the more famous ones - the Holy light in Jerusalem and the incidents with the latins & later on with the armenians. This is the story, the incident that involved the armenians can be proven even today, link.

I may ve also considered also the following incidents:
St Spyridon in the island of Corfu.

And The Wretched Corpses of the Athonites who concelebrated with the Papists.
And this is the story of the monks who refused union with the latins and became Holy Martyrs. It is a very shortened though, I don't know whether i can find the full story. Sometimes ago i had a conversation with the friend on the topic, he told me he have seen a picture of the wretched corpses of the uniate monks and even send it to me - warning this is horrifying image

I don't quite remember whether the incidents in corfu and mount athos which i mentioned above played a role in my choice but the Holy Light miracle certainly did.

« Last Edit: Today at 02:10:56 PM by Vanhyo »

Offline eddybear

• High Elder
  • Faith: post-Anglican, pre-Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Heading towards Diocese of Sourozh
« Reply #7 on: Today at 02:59:48 PM »
Long story short, when I started looking at church history, and compared it with the beliefs of the modern churches, I realised the gulf between my evangelicalism and historic churches. The main difference for me was the sacraments, and understanding and experiencing how they are so much more than just symbols. It took a while for me to decide between RC and EO, but on 3 issues I realised I just didn't believe the RC claim. The first was papal authority. Another was the filioque, where it's clear cut historically that the western church added to the Creed, and the 3rd was the Immaculate Conception. I have been greatly blessed by many RC authors, but in the end I couldn't become Catholic in good conscience, whereas I found no such problems in Orthodoxy.

(For the record, I'm still not officially Orthodox, but only because I am waiting for my wife to view Orthodoxy more favourably.)

May I also offer one tip, while you struggle with these doubts? Keep reminding yourself of the things that you do know, that are not up for discussion. Christ was incarnate of the Virgin Mary, died for our salvation, and rose again. You have been united with Him in baptism, and these doubts you are experiencing don't change that at all.