Author Topic: I'm conflicted  (Read 205 times)

Offline JonathanSantiago

I'm conflicted
« on: Yesterday at 03:57:07 PM »
I was accepted as a catechumen in a  local orthodox parish. I don't have a problem with the Orthodox Church doctrine. I agree with the Orthodox Church doctrine but I quit going to church about a month ago because fasting  for so many days is very harsh too me. I'm not used to fasting.  I quit going to church because I don't want to be a hypocrite breaking the  fast . I don't have a problem with Wednesday's and Friday fast. But the fasting in Lent for so many days is too harsh to me . So I quit. I miss going to church . A great community is there. :( I'm really sad.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 03:59:21 PM by JonathanSantiago »

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
Re: I'm conflicted
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 04:05:39 PM »
Well, that is something you should have communicated with your priest.

It's like going to a trainer.  You want to be healthy.  So you went on an exercise regimen that is frankly too strenuous.  So rather than going back to your trainer to tell him how hard it was for you, you completely skipped out on going to the gym.

It's never too late to go back to Church and see your priest, and he can work with you by reducing the fasting strain in a way you can handle it.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Vanhyo

• Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Layman in the Bulgarian Orthodox Church
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 04:12:35 PM »
Did you take blessing/permission from your priest to fast  ? Without such permission it could be harmful to do things on your own head...

Also i remember a girl who had difficulties or some problems with lent so my priest gave her a lighter program, with fish and milk and only for two weeks.

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 04:13:13 PM by Vanhyo »

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 04:16:50 PM »
Did you take blessing/permission from your priest to fast  ? Without such permission it could be harmful to do things on your own head...
Didn't realize Lent was a blessing/permission thing.

Re: the OP — Go back to church. Even if you don't fast, go to church. Even if you don't pray at home, go to church. Even if you have doubts, go to church. Even if you sin in the parking lot, go to church.

Not going to church for any of those reasons is like refusing to go to the hospital because you know you're sick.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Chaos, panic and disorder. My work here is done.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 04:22:43 PM »
Didn't realize Lent was a blessing/permission thing.

For catechumens, it probably is, or at least should be. Let's face it, it's pretty hardcore even for cradles, let alone for rank newbies.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 04:23:18 PM by Arachne »
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 04:46:02 PM »

As a catechumen I do not believe you are required to fast as strictly as the rest of us. 

...and if we, who are cradle Orthodox, do not fast....it is not the end of the world.  It is a recommendation...and it is encouraged, as we reap so many benefits from it...however, it is not a requirement to our salvation.

You should go to church, especially during Great Lent...regardless if you are fasting, or not. 

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 05:06:36 PM »
"Wherefore, enter you all into the joy of your Lord; and receive your reward, both the first, and likewise the second. You rich and poor together, hold high festival. You sober and you heedless, honor the day. Rejoice today, both you who have fasted and you who have disregarded the fast. The table is full-laden; feast ye all sumptuously. The calf is fatted; let no one go hungry away."

This is the Paschal Sermon of St. John Chrysostom.

If he was aware that there are those who did not fast, and they are still told to celebrate the Resurrection.....
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 05:09:53 PM »
Amen!  I so want to incorporate that homily into our liturgy.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 06:16:57 PM »
Amen!  I so want to incorporate that homily into our liturgy.
It is a pretty neat way of expressing the Paschal welcome.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 06:17:20 PM by rakovsky »

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 08:19:26 PM »
It's hard for my current circumstances to fast also, but prayer is more important than fasting.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”- St. Ambrose of Milan

"Now one cannot be a half-hearted Christian, but only entirely or not at all." -Fr. Seraphim Rose

"He who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen." (1 John 4:20)

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 10:39:14 PM »
I think most would say to start slowly with fasting.  Just like athletics one must proceed slowly to get used to the discipline.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #11 on: Today at 10:57:50 AM »

As a catechumen I do not believe you are required to fast as strictly as the rest of us. 
Required?

Orthodoxy often makes St. Paul roll in his grave it would seem
Quote from: Pope Francis
Thank God he said I was a politician because Aristotle defined the human person as 'Animal politicus.' So at least I am a human person.

Vote for a Ministry section on OC.net