OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 04:14:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please Convince this Roman Catholic  (Read 89 times) Average Rating: 0
ShayneSwenson

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: leaning East

« on: Today at 02:15:19 PM »

Im new here. Hello. My name is Shayne, and I recently entered the Roman Catholic church this last Easter. I can go into this at length if anyone is interested, but I am becoming extremely put off by the lack of orthodoxy, apparition chasing, obvious hoax propagating, MEDJUGORJE LOVING!!!, and general inability to connect with anyone in my parish that is an actual believer in church teaching, that isnt also a superstitious nut job with an unhealthy addiction to unapproved apparitions and fraudulent "seers". I hope I dont sound uncharitable, but I am frankly disappointed. Im not trying to pull a "protestant attitude" and claim im not being "fed", whatever that means, but I am a little let down that no one seems to respect actual orthodoxy(small o), and those that do, are hyper-traditionalists that are border-line fundamentalists that look at me with the utmost suspicion morally.(Im a tattoo artist, and that doesnt go over very well with the latin mass crowd generally) I am really having a hard go at it considering, apart from the obvious disconnect with historical reality and complete lack of sacramental grace, I had a thriving involvement with my last church. We were an off-shoot of Mars Hill Church, the Mark Driscoll type, and though I cant say I agree with them now, I did encounter Christ in a very real way there, and Mark's neo-reformed theological teachings pushed me toward Sproul, which led me to Calvin, which led me to Augustine, etc.

My main issue now is that I am way more drawn to Orthodox spirituality, and long story short, trying to find honest, objective information as to the fact about the Papacy, as well as other make-or-break issues regarding Catholic and Orthodox differences. Both churches have Apostolic succession, miracle claims, especially Lourdes, historical reliability, and valid arguments. Seems like all I have read leaves the scales balanced evenly, and I am looking for evidence that will tip the scales in favor of who has the more accurate viewpoint. I want to be in the True Church.

I just had a thread pulled from Catholic Answers forum NOT because of the tone but due to the content. I DARED to question the authenticity of Fatima and I stated my disdain for Medjugorje as well as several other issues I have regarding alleged catholic miracle claims. There is a strict gag order on anything regarding Medjugorje that I was not aware of. My head is spinning over this, and it really undermines their credibility in my eyes, so I have now turned to your forum in the hopes that I can discuss some of these issues in a constructive manner. I dont want to be divisive. I do however want everyone to be brutally honest, especially catholics who have converted to the east. I lost my faith in Christianity for a period before I embraced Catholicism, and I am now more confused than ever. I am not a "church hopper", but I am extremely careful now as to what I will believe. If the claims of Christ are true, nothing else is as important as discovering the church he founded. Thank you all for your input.
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #1 on: Today at 02:34:26 PM »

Welcome to the forum.

As a Protestant, looking at Papal claims is important. I still haven't found any historical or Patristic evidences that would convince me, and I'm about to give up looking. (Except that I am renting all of the Catholic apologists books at the library.)

I looked at Denzinger and found nothing remotely clear-cut within it as to the claims of the Papacy, I posted most of the notable quotes elsewhere on this forum.

Of course, if you want a rebuttal to Papal claims, you'll need to be specific as to what you are looking for at this forum.
« Last Edit: Today at 02:38:55 PM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

"[The Lord] shall judge between many peoples, and shall decide for strong nations far away; and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war anymore." (Isaiah 2:4, Micah 4:3)
chimo

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: Today at 02:37:29 PM »

This is very good that you wish to see more the light of God especially in His Son Jesus Christ and to find it in the Church. Welcome back and I hope you will find what God is searching in you so that you will be able to grow with His Son to learn from Him, to discover how to praise Him and to know His praise for those who are seeking Him as well. Even though the Catholic Church in the USA and Canada is going through much difficulties in identifying herself to the truth of the Gospel some Churches are doing much better than others. I guess it depends on the type of clergy that serves them whether or not these same clergy are been served by the best possible teachings available. You probably are searching for such type of teachings. Some Catholic parishes are way above others because the teachings subscribed in them are very Orthodox, practical and have this sense of holiness that invites you to want more. You can look for such parishes if you want to. The Orthodox Churches are prized for their ability to give us this due sense of holiness as well as many teachings that comes from their many saints and Church Fathers. Their discipline is to reveal to you this experience of God in a way that is different than Rome. Both Churches can give us the Lord Jesus. Yet both Churches go about it differently. Go to both to find which experiences best suits you. I can live in both worlds for I grew up in both worlds. Yet I must confess that the experience and witness which the Orthodox Church offers is way above which the Church of Rome offers when you only attend to the Divine Liturgy and the Mass. The Orthodox just offers much more within the confinement of their own Liturgy.
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:57:45 PM »

Welcome Shayne!  May God bless your journey as you seek out His will.  Smiley

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #4 on: Today at 03:03:03 PM »

Welcome to the forum.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Tags: papacy convert conversion Pope Roman papal catholic Medjugorje 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: