OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 22, 2014, 05:41:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: question WRT relationships with non-orthodox  (Read 128 times) Average Rating: 0
matveimediaarts

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« on: Yesterday at 10:04:02 PM »

Hi!

I'm relatively new as a chrismated orthodox Christian.  I've lately become very fond of a lovely young woman who isn't orthodox.  Are there any guiding principles/rules regarding this sort of thing?  Huh Thanks!

In XC,
Matvei.
Paisius
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Wherever the wind blows......

Scheherazade

« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 10:06:36 PM »

Is she a baptized Christian?

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frédéric Bastiat
Minnesotan
Elder

Faith: Raised evangelical, inquiring into Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Interested in becoming Antiochian

From the Land of 10,000 Lakes

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 10:07:31 PM »

Well, what religion is she (or is she nonreligious)? It might be helpful to know that, since it might help gauge how open she'd be to your faith. If half her posts on Facebook are quotes from Dawkins or Hitchens, you and her probably aren't going to get along.
matveimediaarts

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 10:38:21 PM »

Well, what religion is she (or is she nonreligious)? It might be helpful to know that, since it might help gauge how open she'd be to your faith. If half her posts on Facebook are quotes from Dawkins or Hitchens, you and her probably aren't going to get along.
I don't know yet.  It's a very new thing, so we haven't had time to chat about that kind of thing yet.  So far, we've been meeting before and after class.  If she uses facebook, it's not with her real name (doesn't show up in the search).  This week I'm inviting her to a post-liturgy brunch (and liturgy if she's interested) date, which is held in the ballroom in walking distance from the church. 
Paisius
OC.net guru

Scheherazade

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 11:08:42 PM »

I don't know yet.  It's a very new thing, so we haven't had time to chat about that kind of thing yet.  So far, we've been meeting before and after class.  If she uses facebook, it's not with her real name (doesn't show up in the search).  This week I'm inviting her to a post-liturgy brunch (and liturgy if she's interested) date, which is held in the ballroom in walking distance from the church.  

Well if the letter of the law is followed Orthodox are not allowed to marry someone who is not baptized. If you did so you could not be married in the Church and could not commune. So I would say if that is the case the situation is fraught with dangers. I know of course you are not talking about marriage yet but if you are considering a possible romantic relationship you should consider this.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 11:09:42 PM by Paisius » Logged

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frédéric Bastiat
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:36:28 AM »

Are there any guiding principles/rules regarding this sort of thing?  Huh Thanks!

Relax, have a good time, remember God.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
matveimediaarts

« Reply #6 on: Today at 03:07:35 PM »

Thank you all for your responses. Smiley ~hugs~  I will be praying on it.
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: Today at 03:15:15 PM »

Well if the letter of the law is followed Orthodox are not allowed to marry someone who is not baptized.
Sane people don't worry about their dates' marriage potential on the first date, contrary to what the sectarian protestants would have us believe.

Well, unless it's a Bride Show and not a date.
« Last Edit: Today at 03:16:12 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Paisius
OC.net guru

Scheherazade

« Reply #8 on: Today at 03:22:32 PM »

Well if the letter of the law is followed Orthodox are not allowed to marry someone who is not baptized.
Sane people don't worry about their dates' marriage potential on the first date, contrary to what the sectarian protestants would have us believe.

Well, unless it's a Bride Show and not a date.

If you're Orthodox you better think about it. Fall in love and either face the heartbreak of not being able to marry or being excommunicated from the faith you swore to adhere to. You'd have to be pretty insane to not think about it.
« Last Edit: Today at 03:22:58 PM by Paisius » Logged

NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: Today at 04:49:21 PM »

If you're Orthodox you better think about it. Fall in love

It's just a date, getting to know the other person.

Besides, the greater the love, the greater the suffering, remember?

Leave the OP alone, Paisius. Let us grieve elsewhere.
« Last Edit: Today at 04:55:05 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: