Author Topic: Ideas how to spread the faith  (Read 421 times)

Offline TheMatt

Ideas how to spread the faith
« on: January 23, 2017, 11:58:42 AM »
Good morning,
First off my apologies if this topic has already been discussed. I have a cousin who recently named me and my wife as God-parents to their little one. We're both very honored for a plethora of reasons and we're taking it very seriously. I initially had issues since they were not Orthodox but there wasn't a way I was going to refuse this honor. Well, in our last visit with them it turns out they are without a church and looking to find something that they like. Not being a believe in coincidence, I thought now is the time to start planting seeds of the Orthodox faith. My cousin was actually the best man at my wedding so he has first hand exposure to how we do things and how they differ from the West. Does anyone have any tips on children's books I could send, grown up books, or anything I can do to get a discussion going to help sway them the right way? They live three hours away so inviting them to our church and chatting over dinner won't do it I'm afraid. Thank you all!
"Lord I have cried to Thee, hearken unto me, attend to the voice of my supplication, when I cry to Thee, hearken unto me. Let my prayer arise, in thy sight as incense, and let the lifting up of my hands be an evening sacrifice."

Online xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
Re: Ideas how to spread the faith
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 12:06:46 PM »
Well, Orthodoxy isn't really about what we like but about what is true. At least, that's what it's supposed to be about. If it were me, I would probably start with icons, those can get a discussion going and most people who aren't fundamentalist Calvinist-oriented iconoclast types would probably show gratitude at receiving the gift, religious or not.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”- St. Ambrose of Milan

"Now one cannot be a half-hearted Christian, but only entirely or not at all." -Fr. Seraphim Rose

"He who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen." (1 John 4:20)

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 08:54:24 PM »
Could be the mind avoid uncomfortable situation.

Offline Daniel2:47

• Exploring the Orthodox tradition and seeking Truth
  • Faith: Post-evangelical?
  • Jurisdiction: I am my own Pope
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 09:21:35 AM »
Well there's a good amount of Orthodox content available online that can be very helpful - there are many podcasts on Ancient Faith Radio that are particularly interesting for those outside the Orthodox Church. What background is your cousin? You may be able to find specific podcast episodes discussing the similarities and differences between Orthodoxy and their faith background on the podcast Ancient Faith Today or The Illumined Heart programmes.

Regarding books, there are lots available - again, it would depend what your friend's background is. Some of Clark Carlton's ones on Orthodoxy ("The Way", "The Truth", "The Life") can be good although they are a little philosophical and he pulls no punches showing how Orthodoxy compares to other Christian traditions (Roman Catholicism, Protestantism). I am sure others can recommend other books too that might be more "spiritual" - I found The Mountain of Silence to be a fascinating book about Orthodox spirituality myself
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 09:21:49 AM by Daniel2:47 »

Offline Aeschere

• Archangel Uriel, please pray for us!
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 06:10:46 PM »
The Orthodox Church by Kallistor Ware could be good. The book that convinced me to convert from Protestantism to Orthodoxy is Rock and Sand by Archpriest Josiah Trenham. Welcome to the Orthodox Church by Frederica Matthewes-Green is a very beginner-toned book.
Count your breath... Hold a wish... Make a three...

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • Faith: God
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 11:46:39 PM »
I'm not sure if you're still around, but if so, I could suggest some websites and books for the adults if I knew what each of them might be willing to read, or find helpful. Like do you think inspirational stories would be up their alley, or more intellectual stuff, more basic overview stuff, history, or...?
"Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack." - 109th Rule of Acquisition