OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 11:45:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OCnet Language Teams: Brainstorming  (Read 1149 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« on: August 20, 2006, 02:06:46 PM »

Dear in Christ,

Chris and I have been toying with the idea of having modules available on OCnet for the learning of Biblical Greek, Modern Greek, Russian, and perhaps other languages as interest dictates, where participants could learn together the target language, etc.  Basically, we would like to provide the community with tools to learn the "traditional Orthodox languages" to those interested.  We'll need your ideas, so perhaps in this thread, we could do some brainstorming?  Are there any other collaborative sites we could use as a model? I know monachos.net has a Biblical Greek section, for instance.  I'd basically like to see how much interest there is, if anyone feels strongly about a way to proceed, etc.  We would also need team facilitators, etc.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
nnjrob65

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 02:59:03 PM »

There's a Church Slavonik E- Tutor here:
http://www.orthodoxepubsoc.org/
(Haven't tried it out, yet myself...but I bookmarked it)
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 03:08:59 PM »

There's a Church Slavonik E- Tutor here:
http://www.orthodoxepubsoc.org/
(Haven't tried it out, yet myself...but I bookmarked it)

Thank you.  What we could do with materials already existant on the web would be to have a group on this site use the resource and help each other, with perhaps a facilitator.  Or for instance, we could agree on a textbook (for Slavonic, an example would be Archbishop Alypy's), and work through it together.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 04:29:49 PM »

Great idea. I'll think about it tonight as I toil at my mindless job until 6:30AM - keep me awake. I've bookmarked dozens of sites on several languages.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 03:04:57 AM »

I know of a Yahoo group that has a 50-lesson Amharic course (without the feedel).

It is organized by Rastafarians, no idea if any non-Rastas there.

If you want I can provide the link.

Alternatively I can simply provide the course in a Word document to forum administration here, and then the resident Tewahedo members can act as tutors.

One Love
Ras Markos Yohannis Binyam

P.S. On a separate brainstorm, what about the fonts associated with the various scripts?? It's an idea.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 04:20:51 AM »

A font bank! Good idea.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 07:16:32 PM »

Thankfully with Unicode installing new fonts is becoming a thing of the past! Thanks, Unicode!

www.unicode.org

Please Buy My Book!

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2006, 09:40:08 PM »

UTF-8 is fine with me usually, but why does our front forum page not render Spanish and Cyrillic properly even w/ Unicode specified?

<Greek accents issues, too?>
« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 09:40:28 PM by ΑριστÎÂà » Logged

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2006, 10:27:54 PM »

[quote author=Αριστοκλής link=topic=9800.msg133400#msg133400 date=1156642808]
UTF-8 is fine with me usually, but why does our front forum page not render Spanish and Cyrillic properly even w/ Unicode specified?

<Greek accents issues, too?>
[/quote]

becuase we recently hosed our unicode support and redid it. and i am lazy.

Please Buy My Book!

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: