OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 25, 2014, 06:05:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Frustration...  (Read 1889 times) Average Rating: 0
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« on: April 18, 2003, 07:14:20 AM »

Yes, I'm frustrated, my employer won't let me take off today(Gregorian Good Friday) or next Friday(Real Good Friday)

Bobby
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2003, 07:24:05 AM »

Ah the advantages of living in an orthodox country.
ISTM that you chose the wrong line of work to get days off. You should have been a school teacher Cool.

A friend of ours is a teacher in Xanthi, Thrace (Greece, near Turkey), where there is a large Moslem presence. She not only gets days off work for Orthodox holidays, but for Moslem holidays as well Shocked.

None of this helps you with your frustration though does it Grin

You have my sympathy.

John.
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2003, 07:31:25 AM »

Bobby,

I am not an expert but I used to work closely with the Human Resources department of my last employer and it seems to me that the law requires that you be given time off for religious reasons if you ask and if your position is not a critical one (medical, technical, etc.).

Maybe that only applies to things like Sunday/Holydays of obligation, Passover, Yom Kippur, etc.  One OCA parish I know used to (I imagine still does) issue "excuses" for school and work with the parish seal and signed by the pastor.

Tony

Tómame como al tequila, de un golpe y sin pensarlo. - Ricardo Arjona

I'd be a fool to surrender when I know I can be a contender
and if everbody's a sinner then everybody can be a winner
I'll see you when yo
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2003, 08:10:52 AM »

What a good excuse to move to Greece.. Smiley

Bobby
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2003, 09:19:43 AM »

TonyS<< One OCA parish I know used to (I imagine still does) issue "excuses" for school and work with the parish seal and signed by the pastor.>>

This is becoming more commonplace in Connecticut, where all the Orthodox Churches (except ROCOR) have come together to organize as "FORCC" (Fellowship of Orthodox Churches of Connecticut).  Under FORCC auspices, the calendar of important Orthodox holydays, including Great and Holy Friday, is sent to all public school districts with the request that students and faculty be granted release time to attend religious services important to Orthodox Christians and also with the request that planning by the school districts take into consideration these Orthodox Christian holydays.

Hypo-Ortho
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2003, 10:45:25 AM »

Yes, I'm frustrated, my employer won't let me take off today(Gregorian Good Friday) or next Friday (Real Good Friday)

I thought the difference in the paschalion has nothing to do with the Julian/Gregorian divide, which only affects fixed-date feasts. Gregorian-calendar Orthodox keep the same date for Easter as Julian ones.

"You always were a historically illiterate jerk, John." - OicwR doyen Stuart Koehl

High-church libertarian
Blog
Brendan03
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2003, 10:54:48 AM »

I think he was probably referring to the Gregorian paschalion (followed only the Orthodox Church of Finland, I believe).

B
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2003, 11:04:22 AM »

My point is there is no 'Gregorian paschalion' - that the difference between the Western (as used by Orthodox in Finland because the law says they have to) and Eastern Easters is unrelated to the Julian/Gregorian difference.

"You always were a historically illiterate jerk, John." - OicwR doyen Stuart Koehl

High-church libertarian
Blog
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2003, 11:12:35 AM »

I think Bobby meant Latin not Gregorian.  You know, as in those Papist Latin Heretical Western-minded Schismatics.   Grin

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2003, 12:22:08 PM »

Well, I am a school teacher and I don't get either Good Friday off. I get this coming Monday off, which I think is given for reasons of travel.

What a good excuse to move to Greece..

Bobby

I'm up for moving to Greece.

I could handle one of those white-washed houses, a patio shaded by grapevines, and blessed low humidity! Grin

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2003, 01:14:06 PM »

Yes, I'm frustrated, my employer won't let me take off today(Gregorian Good Friday) or next Friday(Real Good Friday)

Bobby

How sad. Have you ever thought of becoming self-employed where you work when you want to?

Life is just one disappointment after another.
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2003, 11:21:29 PM »

My point is there is no 'Gregorian paschalion' - that the difference between the Western (as used by Orthodox in Finland because the law says they have to) and Eastern Easters is unrelated to the Julian/Gregorian difference.

Serge

Sprazdnikom!

No.  The date of Pascha is calculated based on three dates: 1) The vernal equinox; 2) The Jewish Passover - 15 Nissan; 3) The first full moon after the equinox and after the Passover (for the Orthodox).

For most of the Orthodox the vernal equinox date is not determined by modern astronomical science or the Gregorian calendar, it still uses the Julian reckoning which as we all know is not astronomically accurate now.  There is also a dispute as to the role (or lack thereof) of the Jewish Passover in determining Christian Pascha.  Finally the full moon comes into play.  So the foundational difference is still the Julian calendar.  

Churches like the GOA and OCA have a mixed calendar like many other Orthodox in the world today.  This causes some unforseen-in-the-Typikon combinations.  The autonomous Orthodox Church of Finland uses a pure Gregorian calendar and some other parishes in isolated locations as well (where western Christians are the majority) have adopted this practice with no fanfare.  

There are lots of articles on line and another message board has discussed this endlessly, I can send you a link if you like.

Tony

Tómame como al tequila, de un golpe y sin pensarlo. - Ricardo Arjona

I'd be a fool to surrender when I know I can be a contender
and if everbody's a sinner then everybody can be a winner
I'll see you when yo
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: