OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 24, 2014, 11:59:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has anyone here quit smoking?  (Read 1507 times) Average Rating: 0
Dismus
Elder

« on: August 18, 2006, 08:05:34 PM »

How did it go? What method worked for you? Have you relapsed?

I have cut back and avoid "trigger" moments like morning coffee, (hard but I have done pretty good there) and the after eating a meal triggers, "last one" before sleep.

So, now I am noticing a big difference in my sleep. I am restless and feel tierd from my constant thoughts of this problem. I wanted to quit by cutting back slowly, but I wonder if that is the best way.

donkeyhotay

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

"God, Who provides for all, will not desert us"

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 09:59:39 AM »

I quit 19 years ago.  I stopped cold turkey.  Tossed the cigarettes out the window of the car and have never touched one since.

However, I think it is important to add that this was my fourth try.  If you don't succeed, keep trying. 

In my opinion, I think cutting back slowly will not work.  If you just stop, you will experience withdrawals, but  the worst symptoms will go away shortly.  Some of the other desires (like to have one in the morning, or after a meal) will not go away for a longer time, and may even pop back up occasionally months or years down the road, but you will be able to resist them.

I also recommend a daily exercise regimen.  If you don't like exercise, start out slow and tell yourself you're just going to do five minutes of walking, or whatever.  After five minutes, re-evaluate and see if you want to go longer.  Soon you'll be exercising regularly, and this will help a great deal with the withdrawal symptoms.

You will be very happy in the long run that you have quit.

And one last thing.  When you do eventually succeed, remember how difficult it was, and never, never, get preachy to others who still smoke.  They say the worst non-smoker is an ex-smoker.  Don't be that way.  Instead be prepared to share your experience, and help others to quit if they ask -- kind of like I'm trying to help you.

Good luck.  And I can't stress this enough:  If you fail this time, remember you can try again in the future.  You can do this.

A dog is better than I am, for he has love and does not judge.
-Abba Xanthias
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 12:57:08 PM »

I have cut back and avoid "trigger" moments like morning coffee, (hard but I have done pretty good there) and the after eating a meal triggers, "last one" before sleep.

So, now I am noticing a big difference in my sleep. I am restless and feel tierd from my constant thoughts of this problem. I wanted to quit by cutting back slowly, but I wonder if that is the best way.

I quit 19 years ago.  Hypnotism wored for me.

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
scamandrius
Dr., Rdr. Scamandrius to you :)
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 01:08:54 PM »

I just stopped one day.  What really helped me from starting up again was the fact that a past girlfriend of mine smoked and kissing her was like kissing an ashtray and made me want to throw up.  Try that.  See if it helps!

Scamandrius

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Dismus
Elder

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 01:11:11 PM »

I quit 19 years ago.ÂÂ  Hypnotism wored for me.

Orthodoc

God Bless you for your efforts. I am not allowed to do that per the RCC.

FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 02:45:38 PM »

I also had to quit cold turkey about 20 years ago or so. For me it was seeing my mother die slowly from COLD, due entirely to her smoking habit.

For me, I had to develop substitute activities. Exercise is a good one, although I couldn't do that all the time. I was working at a factory, and I was so used to lighting up at breaks that for me I had to go to a different break area entirely and just walk around.

Another thing that helped me was just keeping something else in my hands. This is why pipe smoking was the last thing I had to quit; I really enjoyed the aroma plus the action of holding something as I talked and did things.

Good luck!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 03:10:18 PM »

I still smoke, but not nearly as much as I used to.  I'm at the point where a pack will last me longer than a week.  I'm more of a social/drinking smoker, so now that I'm about 1000 miles away from my usual haunts where I would drink/light up, I don't feel compelled to smoke.  I cut back when I still lived in DC though.  I started by not smoking on my way to work (rather hard when 95% of the time your waiting for connecting buses), then I didn't smoke until lunch, and then until after work (unless my boss was around, she was a chainsmoker, and I was her smoking buddy).  If I didn't go out (I would go out 3 or 4 nights a week), after a while I could go the entire day with out it.  I think, if your quitting gradually, do it by slowly eliminating times you associate with smoking (for examp. driving home from work, lunch break, before bed, etc). 
Now-a-days, the only time I feel I really need to smoke is after I've had a few.
Good luck.

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006, 09:42:03 PM »

Quit smoking? many times...due for another round soon.  Undecided

It's giving up my pipe that bothers me. Every time I quit cigs I dream of smoking my pipe until I pick up both habits again. Maybe just quit the cigs first?

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Dismus
Elder

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2006, 09:56:48 PM »

[quote author=Αριστοκλής link=topic=9789.msg132332#msg132332 date=1156038123]
Quit smoking? many times...due for another round soon.ÂÂ  Undecided

It's giving up my pipe that bothers me. Every time I quit cigs I dream of smoking my pipe until I pick up both habits again. Maybe just quit the cigs first?
[/quote]

I will pray for both of us in this struggle.
keep looking at the positive, that we will one day.
Brian

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2006, 09:21:32 PM »

Dismus,

Many who have successfully kicked the habit seem to have a similar story to share, and my story is no different.  I started smoking 18 years ago while in university, and quickly became a pack (or more) a day smoker.  Over the years I periodically tried to quit, but I would always get into these mental games with myself that, naturally enough, resulted in failure.  Anyone who has ever tried to break any habit knows exactly what kind of games I'm talking about - those little voices that constantly encourage backsliding, "just once more", and weakening of the will - some call them demons, I prefer the term mind parasites.  This is why I am skeptical that a gradual approach works - for me it was just one more way to play mental games.  The key to understanding addiction to any habit is to try to distance yourself from the games - to see them for what they are, as parasites in opposition to your best interests.  When the parasites start to babble you need to be able to point them out for what they are.  Only then can you start to laugh them off as powerless, for all demons or parasites have exactly the power YOU give them.  They are completely powerless in themselves.

What did work for me was when I woke up one day and just decided I was sick of playing games with myself, and sick of smelling bad, and sick of what I knew smoking was doing to my health.  I finally realized I was truly sick.  At that point I just really decided to quit - I chose health over sickness.  Up until that point my resolutions were just game playing, the product of mind parasites, not real decisions.  Whereas before my resolutions were of the form, "I think I'll try to quit smoking today", a form which allows for a lot of gaming, now I simply resolved, "I QUIT".  This was a grace of the Lord's for which I feel immense gratitude.

And from that moment, a moment of true conversion of heart, the addiction lost its power and was banished, after 17 years, just like a switch had gone from ON to OFF inside me.  Of course there were physical withdrawl symptoms to contend with, but with a conversion of spirit the body ceases to control the will, and the symptoms are easily brushed off.  I was able to quit 'cold-turkey' without assistance or props.  The cure for smoking is not ultimately found in patches, smoking substitutes, hypnotism, or other things; the cure is found in conversion which allows the Lord's grace to fortify your will.  It was, in fact, through this experience that I began to really appreciate the true nature of spiritual warfare, the virtues of ascetic discipline, and the need for God in my life.  This has eventually led me to appreciation of Orthodoxy as containing real Truth; as the teaching that gets to the core of the problem directly and without embellishment.  In a very real sense, my struggle with smoking was God's way of calling me to healing Truth.

May the Lord assist us in breaking the shackles of our slavery to our passions, that our individual wills may conform to His in all things, now and forever.

In Christ,
Brian
Bishop Paul Andrew

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: American Orthodox Catholic Church/ Holy Synod of North and South America.

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2006, 02:45:16 AM »

I have been smoking off and on since was sixteen. when I stop smoking I gain weight or I pick it up again do to having friends that smoke. I quit once for about a year and felt pretty good about it. it is hard not to smoke, than it is to quit. when I had stopped smoking my mother was still a live,but when she passed a way lastyear November,My second oldest brother as home when my mother was dieding and he was still smoking and it got me stated again. I am now trying to stop smoking which is not easy,but I am trying.
Panagiotis
Libertarian/Orthodox/Lush
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Phanar

Advocating Liberty Since 1973

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2006, 12:46:02 PM »

In my opinion, I think cutting back slowly will not work.  If you just stop, you will experience withdrawals, but  the worst symptoms will go away shortly.
Okay. What is "shortly"? I had nine months of perpetual horror and I went back to smoking just to get rid of the hacking up of white tissue balls in my throat. "Shortly" is subjective.

I smoke. I eat red meat. I eat red meat from cows that smoke. Yes I stole that from Dennis Leary.

Anyways, I have been smoking for roughly 18 years now and I have quit within this time a number of times. Death has usually been the case for my return to the coffin nail. It is a nasty habit that I despise but partake of. I hate it but I love it at the same time if this is understandable. Not acceptable, but understandable. SO if I can interject as to how I was able to quit for those few times- Deciding to stop blatantly helped. Carrot sticks I made in the morning. Orange juice instead of coffee. Wine instead of beer, especially a riesling, which is sweet so its taste is different with a smoke. Socialized in new, non-smoking places as opposed to my normal hangouts. Surrounded myslef with children so as to not smoke.

But death in the family, a few times over, always brought me back to the coffin nails. How I hate them so.

Kyrie Eleison,
Panagiotis

"The first condition for the establishment of perpetual peace is the general adoption of the principles of laissez-faire capitalism"
-Ludwig Von Mises
Sloga
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2006, 01:38:19 PM »

as a young, naive and sometimes stupid 17 year old, I congradulate all of you that have managed to quit smoking. Last year I smoked for about 6 months, but not a lot; 5 or so smokes while at school every day. I decided it was too much money and I am an athlete and I really did see a decrease in my endurance. Not to mention all the hassle I'd have to go through to get cigarettes since I'm underage. But sometimes I still get strong cravings and am tempted to smoke one, but its been like 4 months since I've smoked one. Now, if I smoked that little for that short amount of time, I wonder how strong the cravings are that many of you get that smoked for countless years. I never believed in that addiction stuff but now I see it's true.

Христе Боже, Распети и Свети!

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: