OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 21, 2014, 10:41:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the best English translation of the Septuagint?  (Read 3696 times) Average Rating: 0
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« on: August 17, 2006, 12:14:24 AM »

I searched for the Septuagint on Amazon, and was only able to find the 1851 translation by Sir Lancelot Charles Lee Brenton, which omits the Deuterocanon. How closely do Catholic Bibles follow the Septuagint? Additionally, how close are we to having a complete Orthodox translation from Peter Papoutsis, Holy Apostles Convent, or Conciliar Press? Until that time comes, what is the best English translation of the Septuagint?

Peace.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 12:28:24 AM by Matthew777 » Logged

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 02:19:00 AM »

There really isn't a great Septuagint version in English, so you can take a look at all of them, but it won't really matter which you pick in the end. If you Google septuagint translation (or something like that) you should pull up some pages that have multiple attempts at a translation. As far as the RC Bibles, as far as I know, they don't follow the Septuagint's readings (in the non-deuterocanonical books), but only take the names and book order from the Septuagint (rather than the Hebrew version), and accept (most of) the extra books in the Septuagint. RC Bibles are sort of like a half-Septuagint, half-Hebrew translation.

Jerome was very much against using the Septuagint, and thought that the Hebrew was superior, so he generally translated from Hebrew rather than Greek. The only reason Jerome translated any of the deuterocanonical books at all is because, according to tradition, he was pressured into doing it so as to placate a clerical friend of his (if I remember correctly). He bragged that he had translated one book in a single sitting (it was Tobit I think--my favorite O.T. book, not that it matters). It was only after Jerome's death that other people appended the other deuterocanonical books to Jerome's Latin Vulgate. This wasn't especially important, since Jerome's version took a while to catch on anyway; people in the west at the time much preferred the older Latin version.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 02:21:04 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

I'll bet I look like a goof.

"And since when have Christians become afraid of rain?"
Ιωάννης
OC.net Peon, Patron Saint of Gyros' and All Tzatziki

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Γ.Ο.Χ.

O Father John, pray to Christ our God for us!

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 02:33:47 AM »

Here is the Sir Lancelot translation online:

http://pomog.org/index.html

You have to click, under Holy Scripture, English.

Anyways, just thought that would be worth sharing.

Peace,
Ioannis

I have seen how men of scant means enriched themselves by living with the poor in spirit, and forgot their first poverty. - Holy St. John Climacus
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 02:54:32 AM »

As far as I can tell, only the Oxford Study Bible provides all of the Deuterocanon in the English language, including the parts which are exclusive to the Orthodox Church.

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 06:11:45 AM »

If you are willing to wait until Pascha 2007, the Orthodox Study Bible should be completed by then, and will include a translation of all the books of the Septuagint. See: http://www.lxx.org/status_update_01.04.06.htm
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 06:16:16 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 02:52:02 PM »

If you are willing to wait until Pascha 2007, the Orthodox Study Bible should be completed by then, and will include a translation of all the books of the Septuagint. See: http://www.lxx.org/status_update_01.04.06.htm

Seeing is believing...I am beginning to wonder if it will ever be released. So frustrating to wait so long that I've renewed my Greek studies.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 04:05:31 PM »

Does anyone know when Holy Apostles Convent's Septuagint will be printed?

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
smallwhisper

Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

"The heavens declare the glory of God"

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 07:25:29 PM »

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but it is my understanding that the King James Bible was translated from the Septuagint. I have seen the JKV listed as the preferred translation of the Bible for use by Orthodox Christians on several Orthodox web sites, and it is my priest's favourite translation as well (mine too) Smiley. Although it dose not contain the Orthodox canon in it's entirety, I have a King James Apocrypha as well - Found it at Barnes and Noble. The King James suits me just fine until the publication of the complete Orthodox Study Bible, and I'm sure that I'll still use it even after that. After all, The King James Bible is a timeless masterpiece of the English language! Wink

"Someone busy trying to understand himself has no time to notice the shortcomings of others - Judge yourself and you will stop judging others." - St Seraphim of Sarov
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 07:37:34 PM »

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but it is my understanding that the King James Bible was translated from the Septuagint.

The KJV OT is based on the Vulgate which is based on the Masoretic.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: