OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 04:26:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone know how to cook a decent meal with Turkey leftovers?  (Read 4093 times) Average Rating: 0
Dismus
Elder

« on: August 15, 2006, 05:23:47 PM »

I don't know what to do with the leftovers and do not like any of the stuff I saw on food network online to get rid of this stuff. I have too much left over for sandwiches.

I don't like being wasteful, and thought someone here would know what to do with it.

I did not buy the thing either. My SIL got it as a 2 for one thing and gave it to us.
Troldhaugen
Holy Royal Martyr Alexandra - Pray for us!

Jurisdiction: Converting to Russian Orthodoxy

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 05:29:28 PM »

I find the best use of left over turkey is a stew.

"One must have only a little patience-and is it really so difficult? For every day that passes quietly I thank God"
Dismus
Elder

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 05:38:03 PM »

I find the best use of left over turkey is a stew.

Good idea!

I want to use the crock pot though since it is so much easier to use now that they have those liners and it does not heat up the house.

Should I just make it like a turkey pot pie type of thing minus the crust?

Then Sprinkle crushed seasoned homemade bread crumbs on top? (I've got that in the freezer ready to go)

Or do more of a Coq au vin?

but with turkey---
Troldhaugen
Holy Royal Martyr Alexandra - Pray for us!

Jurisdiction: Converting to Russian Orthodoxy

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 07:13:12 PM »

That's an idea. I'm an amateur chef so indulge me as I bombard you with ideas from my recipe box! My stew recipe is;

Turkey Stew

3 tbls. oil
1 large chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
1 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
1 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper
Turkey

Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the onion, garlic, and coriander and fry until the onion is golden. Add the turkey pieces and heat for a few minutes. Stir in the remaining ingredients with a good grinding of pepper, add enough water to cover, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover, and simmer for about an hour. Add a little water from time to time if necessary to prevent burning.

You could also use the leftovers and add them to a bubble and squeak. To do that;

Bubble and Squeak

Turkey
1 pound cold potatoes
2 ounces dripping or lard
1 onion finely chopped
8 ounces cooked cabbage or sprouts -- chopped
Salt
Black pepper -- freshly ground

Finely chop the potatoes and crush slightly. In a frying pan melt half the fat and lightly fry the onion. Mix in the potato, turkey pieces and greens and season well. Add more dripping or lard. Press the bubble into the hot fat and fry over a moderate heat until browned underneath. Turn the bubble over, add the last of the fat and fry until the other side is browned. It's a Two Fat Ladies Recipe so I don't apologise for the use of lard! Don't subsitute the lard for oil because oil won't get to the heat required. It's an unhealthy dish I'm afraid but very nice and a British classic.

Stuffed Artichokes

Now, to prepare these, you simply wash the Artichokes, you turn it upside down and tear off the stalky bit at the bottom. Remove the lower leaves and cut around the leaves that are left to around the middle of the way up on the artichoke. Then, cut out any of the fibrous stuff that remains but don't cut through the bottom. So, what you should have is a 'floor' with a nice round hole.  Now when you cut an artichoke, it goes black very quickly so rub the areas you've cut with a lemon. Once you have a nice hole in the middle and no stringy bits, you wash them again.

In a bowl, put about 2 handfuls of black olives with have been cut into halves and stoned, about 2 cups of white breadcrumbs, some chopped parsley, some chopped garlic (about two teaspoons), half a chopped white onion, a tablespoon of capers cut in half,
about 4oz of cheese preferably parmesan, two small skinned and de-seeded tomatoes, chopped and then your turkey pieces. Mix it all up and stuff your artichokes with it. Warm some olive oil in a deep pot and put your artichokes in the pot. Pour a good third of a bottle of white wine over them. Pop the lid on and put it in a hot oven for about an hour. Perfect for lunch or with fish for a dinner dish.

Enjoy!

"One must have only a little patience-and is it really so difficult? For every day that passes quietly I thank God"
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 07:17:45 PM »

Tokyo Turkey Toss!

It's a mixture of cooked turkey, cooked rice, bean sprouts, celery, water chestnuts, and whatever else mixed together with soy sauce and mayonnaise, topped with crumbled potato chips (if you like) and baked in a casserole until it's ready. It sounds weird, but it's an old family favorite.
Dismus
Elder

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 08:45:27 PM »

Wow. More to do with Turkey than I had ever thought.

Thank you for all the typing "amatuer chef" Tongue  I'm not buying what you are selling- you sound pretty professional to me.

This is helping me but now I have to make choices here!  Smiley

Also, that Asian idea does sound wierd, but then, so am I so I will trust your judgement and try it.

Thanks to you both, I am not big on Turkey so this is great stuff for me.

I froze the stuff so now I know what to do with it.
You guys are helpful!!! Smiley
Carpatho Russian
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory for ever!

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 08:50:37 PM »

Good idea!

I want to use the crock pot though since it is so much easier to use now that they have those liners and it does not heat up the house.

Should I just make it like a turkey pot pie type of thing minus the crust?

Then Sprinkle crushed seasoned homemade bread crumbs on top? (I've got that in the freezer ready to go)

Or do more of a Coq au vin?

but with turkey---
Make a turkey pot pie.  Put one of the frozen pie crusts on top, turn on the oven, heat up the house!  The pie crust is the best part of pot pie.  Smiley  Or, cut the turkey into small pieces, put in a container, and freeze it to make a turkey pot pie later when you won't mind having the oven on.

Zastupnice christianov nepostydnaja, chodatajice ko Tvorcu nepreložnaja, ne prezri hr’išnych molenij hlasy, popredvari jako blahaja na pomošč nas, virno vopijuščich ti: Uskori na molitvu, i potščisja na umolenije, zastupajušči prisno Bohorodice, čtuščich t’a.
Psalti Boy
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 10:45:24 PM »

Turkey omelet.    Grin
Dismus
Elder

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 12:30:57 AM »

Turkey omelet.  ÃƒÆ’‚  Grin

With hash browns...
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 09:46:35 AM »

My favorites are the quintessential turkey sandwich, as well as turkey etouffee.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Psalti Boy
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2006, 01:47:36 PM »

My favorites are the quintessential turkey sandwich, as well as turkey etouffee.

Huh ???etouffee Huh Huh
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2006, 02:27:33 PM »

I usually make a big pot of "Chicken" Brunswick Stew out of my leftover turkey - yummy.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
FrChris
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2006, 02:41:07 PM »

Huh ???etouffee Huh Huh

etouffee:

http://southernfood.about.com/library/glossary/bldef_etouffee.htm

Definition: A spicy and delicious Cajun stew traditionally made with crawfish, vegetables and a dark roux. Étouffée is usually served over rice. The word comes from the French étouffer, which means to smother.

Just add turkey instead of crawfish or shrimp.

If you don't have enough turkey leftovers (which is a possibility in my house, with a family of six including two teenage boys) just put what you got into the jambalaya pot.

Gawd, how I miss Louisiana!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Dismus
Elder

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2006, 02:46:41 PM »

etouffee:

If you don't have enough turkey leftovers (which is a possibility in my house, with a family of six including two teenage boys) just put what you got into the jambalaya pot.

WOW. My husband would LOVE that one! Gotta make some plain for the little one though.
But so far this one will be the hit the next time I get a Turkey from my SIL!!!!!

I was there in 98 and I had a blast. Back then I drank too much to remember most of it but it was fun times.......
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2006, 02:55:50 PM »

Yeah; jambalaya, alligator in sauce piquant, GUMBO, mudbugs, anything creole...yummmm.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Dismus
Elder

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2006, 03:12:01 PM »

[quote author=Αριστοκλής link=topic=9761.msg132036#msg132036 date=1155840950]
Yeah; jambalaya, alligator in sauce piquant, GUMBO, mudbugs, anything creole...yummmm.
[/quote]

Maybe a recipe exchange once a week would be a good idea. I won't contribute, but I will test them all and give feedback.....

Wink

FrChris
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2006, 03:57:10 PM »

[quote author=Αριστοκλής link=topic=9761.msg132036#msg132036 date=1155840950]
[/quote]

All those are good, but one of the things I like best actually is the Monday tradition: red beans & rice--even the fasting version of the recipe!

I'm so happy 'cause I found a place here that serves a pretty decent muffaletta--they even got the right bread, although the olive salad needs to be applied a bit more liberally, imo.

Next I need to find a shop here that has or can get you boudin and taso!

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2006, 04:16:29 PM »

and andouille, too....

Dismus
Elder

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2006, 04:57:35 PM »

Stop it!!! Cheesy

I can't read this without getting sooo hungry...

Wow. Food hedonist am I..
Psalti Boy
High Elder

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2006, 07:53:34 PM »

etouffee:

Thanks.  I guess I should have known that since I scored 94% on the advanced redneck test and my sister-in-law lived in Morgan City, LA for 10 years.
Psalti Boy
High Elder

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2006, 07:57:03 PM »

Maybe a recipe exchange once a week would be a good idea. I won't contribute, but I will test them all and give feedback.....

Wink

As long as we don't stay up too late posting them and not have too much fun doing it, I guess it might be OK.  Better check with the Mods first.  Remember what happened to the banning game Huh      Wink
Dismus
Elder

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2006, 08:05:31 PM »

As long as we don't stay up too late posting them and not have too much fun doing it, I guess it might be OK.  Better check with the Mods first.  Remember what happened to the banning game Huh  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  Wink

Smiley

Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2006, 10:39:10 PM »

How about Turkey Devan instead of chicken?  I think it is mostly the meat, brocoli and cream of chicken soup, but not sure....I'm sure the more culinarily inclined could confirm.
Dismus
Elder

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2006, 10:47:28 PM »

How about Turkey Devan instead of chicken?ÂÂ  I think it is mostly the meat, brocoli and cream of chicken soup, but not sure....I'm sure the more culinarily inclined could confirm.

I never would have imagined that - and yet my little one would love that! She calls broccoli
God's trees! She loves it!

Great idea for her and for us both.

Except- hubbie would still perfer the cajun way.

But - if he is not cooking it or cleaning it up.........

That means , I make 2 meals!

Thanks!
Tags: feasting recipes 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: