OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 12:43:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A List of Famous Orthodox Christians... including Tom Hanks???  (Read 5101 times) Average Rating: 0
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« on: August 12, 2006, 01:13:33 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Eastern_Orthodox_Christians

Tom Hanks is listed as an Eastern Orthodox entertainer, due his marriage to Rita Wilson. If that is true, shouldn't he be excommunicated for starring in the Da Vinci Code? Think about it.

Michel Aflaq, the father of Baathism, was also Orthodox, and F. Murray Abraham, one of my favorite Hollywood actors, is Orthodox.

Peace.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 01:16:15 AM by Matthew777 » Logged

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 05:47:46 AM »

Who am I to judge Hanks?

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 06:58:03 AM »

Matthew....dear Matthew....Let me explain something to you.
You know that stuff you see on screens like at the movies, and on the computer monitor? Well, this may come as a shock to you, but, they aren't real. Bang your fist on the ground now, and you will note that the ground is real, but if you try to punch the character Tom Hanks played in The Da Vinci Code, you won't be able to make contact with the character because it's make believe. The Da Vinci Code is an example of what we call "fiction". That puts it in the same category as "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs." All this over-reaction to The Da Vinci Code is more an indication of the shallowness of the "faith" of the people over-reacting and the sad lives they must lead living vicariously through movie actors and their peculiar way of mistaking fantasy for reality, rather than an indictment on the movie itself.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 07:55:00 AM »

Matthew

Sometimes I think that "Matthew" is just a title, and that every few months someone new takes over the position. I say this because every few months you (whoever you are) bring up topics that have already been covered numerous times, and express shock about it. "What? There are people called old calendarists? And they have been persecuted?"  "What? Tom Hanks is Orthodox?"  And so forth. The article clearly says that Hanks "Converted on marrying Rita Wilson". Here is an article on him at Orthodox News that I have posted at this forum at least twice.  Cool
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 09:22:56 AM »

(I hate this stupid quote function not working)
Matthew -
Please provide the canonical references as to why he should be excommuniated.

Asteriktos -
That has to be one of the funniest things I've read in a long time.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 01:00:21 PM »

The Da Vinci Code is an example of what we call "fiction".

Dan Brown's story is an example of historical revisionism, in claiming that all references to artwork and historical documents are accurate. It is intended to either be an assault on the Christian faith, or just a cheap way of making lots of money.

Maybe Tom Hanks believes that he was doing a good thing for the Christian faith by starring in this film. I wouldn't know. A great many people do believe that the book's historical references are real.
Maybe I shouldn't question Hanks' Orthodoxy, but I've lost respect for him as an actor.

Peace.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 01:01:24 PM by Matthew777 » Logged

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 02:12:06 PM »

I would counter that Mr. Brown's work is just an example of yellow journalism going into the fiction world; taking snippets of the truth, and then stirring up a whirlwind/frenzy in order to sell the product (normally papers in this genre, but in this case books and then the movie), even if the fuel for the frenzy is false (but, of course, they'll maintain that it is plausible to the end...).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006, 02:38:33 PM »

We need an Orthodox president - Dukakis '08! Smiley

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Dismus
Elder

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2006, 02:42:57 PM »

I wonder though if it falls into the category of Blasphemy to participate in a movie mocking Jesus? I know the movie is a movie, the book is a fictional thing, but can a Christian participate in Blasphemy to begin with?

Is that what you meant Matthew?

(Ps- I am the real matthew and this is all a joke)

Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2006, 02:44:18 PM »

Is that what you meant Matthew?

Exactly

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Dismus
Elder

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2006, 03:50:30 PM »

You might be onto something Matthew (at least from a heretic RCC point of view)

CCC 2148

Blasphemy is directly opposed to the second commandment. It consists in uttering against God-inwardly or outwardly-words of hatred, reproach or defiance; in speaking ill of God; in failing in respect toward him in one's speach; in misusing God's name. St. James condems those "who blaspheme that honorable name [of Jesus] by which you are called." (Jas 2:7)................................

it goes on and on but I think you get the point.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2006, 06:00:58 PM »

Tom Hanks DEFINITELY should be excommunicated for starring in that movie. It may be fiction, but it is blasphemy. Bottom line is, the movie has led people away from the faith, and as such, is evil.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2006, 07:34:59 PM »

Here's another question... who here has actually read the Da Vinci Code, or seen the movie? 

I think after vigil tonight I'll drop by the local bookstore & pick it up, time to see for myself.

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2006, 07:37:39 PM »

Bottom line is, the movie has led people away from the faith, and as such, is evil.

Or maybe (not "DEFINITELY" Wink) it helped seperate the wheat from the chaff......

Dismus
Elder

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2006, 08:36:26 PM »

Here's another question... who here has actually read the Da Vinci Code, or seen the movie?ÂÂ  

I think after vigil tonight I'll drop by the local bookstore & pick it up, time to see for myself.

After reading the book, I was not about to see the movie. I read the book and needed a lot of breaks in between reading for laughing my (*& off. It tries to be so serious and it is so lacking in that.
Fine to read if you know even less than I do (not too many out here really in that case) and pay no attention to the lies along the way and look at it as an adventure.
The lies about Opus Dei are hysterical, and I am not an Opus Dei fan.
The ridiculous so-called dramatic moments are lacking (especially at the end) ..
My opinion for what it is worth- don't waste your money borrow it or get it used or something. You will regret spending money on it.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2006, 10:50:33 PM »

Or maybe (not "DEFINITELY" Wink) it helped seperate the wheat from the chaff......

Aren't you supposed to be on vacation until Aug 14? Wink  Or are you on the REAL Calendar now  Tongue Grin

Whether it separated the wheat from the chaff, I don't know if that is good--we are supposed to help the weak, not devise ways to make them fall, no?

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2006, 01:16:53 AM »

Aren't you supposed to be on vacation until Aug 14? Wink  Or are you on the REAL Calendar now  Tongue Grin
Cheesy

Whether it separated the wheat from the chaff, I don't know if that is good--we are supposed to help the weak, not devise ways to make them fall, no?
The "chaff" is not the weak of faith. Chaff looks like wheat, but it is merely empty husks. Chaff is a wheat imposter, and no matter what you do with it, it will never be wheat. This reminds me of a story: "A sower went out to sow his seed. And, as he sowed, some fell by the way-side, and it was trodden down; and the fowls of the air devoured it. And other some fell upon a rock, and as soon as it was sprung up, it withered away, because it had no moisture. And other some fell among thorns; and the thorns, growing up with it, choked it. And other some fell upon good ground and, being sprung up, yielded fruit a hundredfold. Saying these things He cried out: He that hath ears to hear, let him hear..."

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2006, 02:04:36 AM »

Anastasios,

Bottom line is, the movie has led people away from the faith, and as such, is evil.

"Led people away"? I very seriously doubt that. If it did anything, it just gave an excuse for leaving to those who were already nominal or largely non-practicing. You seem to be throwing words like "blasphemy" and "evil" around in (what seems to me, at least) a manner uncharacteristic for you...  Lips Sealed
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2006, 02:10:50 AM »

those who were already nominal or largely non-practicing.
i.e., the chaff.

Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2006, 12:03:46 AM »

With the amount of famous people who are Orthodox, I wonder why so many Americans have never heard of Orthodoxy.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2006, 07:47:33 AM »

okay, that huge list of "famous" Orthodox Christians is probably less than 1% of the "famous" people in this country.  really, the few who are Orthodox don't flaunt it, and they don't try to convert others (because that's part of the culture amongst the famous for the most part).

---------------------
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2006, 03:03:19 PM »

John Belushi was Orthodox? Wow! His dear brother Jim is a BIG supporter, contirbutor and procuror of arms and funds for the Albanian 'rebels' plaguing Kosovo and the FYROM. Odd.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Dismus
Elder

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2006, 03:28:40 PM »

[quote author=Αριστοκλής link=topic=9730.msg131551#msg131551 date=1155582199]
John Belushi was Orthodox? Wow! His dear brother Jim is a BIG supporter, contirbutor and procuror of arms and funds for the Albanian 'rebels' plaguing Kosovo and the FYROM. Odd.
[/quote]

You do know he is dead right? Jim that is. And that he liked drugs?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 03:29:15 PM by Dismus » Logged
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2006, 03:32:27 PM »

No, it's John that's dead, and Jim who is alive.  John is the one of Blues Brothers and Animal House fame; Jim has a TV show.

---------------------
Dismus
Elder

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2006, 03:45:36 PM »

No, it's John that's dead, and Jim who is alive.ÂÂ  John is the one of Blues Brothers and Animal House fame; Jim has a TV show.

Wow. How dyslexic am I?

Since I started posting here I think..... Angry

Kidding!

Sorry! I should know by now that my friend is right! Hey, now I am mad- what is up with that guy? He has lost his mind?

I will not let hubbie watch that lame show. I always hated it- now I have a good beef.
Thanks again,
and I should do penance now.......
 Embarrassed
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2006, 03:53:12 PM »

It seems to me there is no way to know the difference between the chaff and the weak in faith until Christ does the dividing.  So we should endeavor to keep all men in the bosom of the Church.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2006, 04:51:11 PM »

It seems to me there is no way to know the difference between the chaff and the weak in faith until Christ does the dividing.ÂÂ  So we should endeavor to keep all men in the bosom of the Church.

Anastasios

My thoughts exactly!

And I'm not just saying that because you're the Webdespota!

chris
Sycophantic Toadie

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2006, 05:36:13 PM »

It seems to me there is no way to know the difference between the chaff and the weak in faith until Christ does the dividing.  So we should endeavor to keep all men in the bosom of the Church.

"Endeavor" how? By censoring what they can be exposed to? A bit like the old RC "Index librorum prohibitorum"?
At any rate, it will fail. Because if the Church makes any attempt at censoring voices outside of Her, as soon as people find out about them, the backlash will be an even greater loss of souls, since even the wheat will begin to lose faith in the Church.
If you structure the Church based on the lowest common denominator, then all you will reduce her to is the lowest common denomenator- the chaff.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2006, 06:07:23 PM »

Anastasios,

But what if your attempt to "keep all men in the bosom of the Church" really just amounts to keeping millions of lukewarm people attending because of family, business connections, social interactions, etc., and they never actually think about God or their faith because they are never required to? IMO it's better to have examined your faith and conception of God, and to have either strengthened or rejected them, than never to have examined them at all.
Dismus
Elder

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2006, 06:46:56 PM »

Anastasios,

But what if your attempt to "keep all men in the bosom of the Church" really just amounts to keeping millions of lukewarm people attending because of family, business connections, social interactions, etc., and they never actually think about God or their faith because they are never required to? IMO it's better to have examined your faith and conception of God, and to have either strengthened or rejected them, than never to have examined them at all.

I guess I will get there at some point - is this not called the dark night of the soul?
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: