OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 04:08:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eastern Catholics not allowed to missionize?  (Read 2537 times) Average Rating: 0
The young fogey
Warned
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« on: April 17, 2003, 10:05:56 AM »

From the Ukrainian Catholic weekly -¿-+-Ã…-Ã  (The Way), March 9, from an interview in Progress Ukrainian Catholic News (Canada?) with Patriarch Lubomyr I, head of the Ukrainian Catholic Church (though the headline calls him Lubomyr Cardinal Husar):

Q: The Ukrainian Catholic Church has never been as overtly 'evangelical' as the Roman Catholic Church, which has and continues to send out numerous missionaries throughout the world. What method should the UCC pursue to spread the message of the gospel?

A. First of all we have to say the very unpleasant fact that we were not permitted to do any missionary work, that the Latin Church has considered this to be their own exclusive field of action. We simply have not been permitted to exercise missionary activity. ... But... we are open to anyone who wishes to come.

Questions to Catholic experts: Is that still true? If so, why? Seems to really contradict the picture painted by some of a communion of equal Churches under the Pope - the Roman Rite is clearly in charge. Figures, in a way - an old Internet enemy (claimed to be Catholic too) once claimed that all Eastern Catholics are only 2% of all Catholics.

ISTM the Byzantine Catholic enterprise in America is not taken seriously (certainly not by the RCs), including by the BCs themselves (the rank and file don't really want to be Eastern anyway, and their ethnic third generation is assimilating away) - treated by the Catholic authorities in a similarly condescending way as the Tridentine indult groups and the Anglican Use conservative converts. The thinking of John Ireland and Nicholas Elko is very much alive. The BCs functionally aren't Churches in communion with the Roman; they're little ethnic-oriented chaplaincies run BY the Romans.

Roman Catholic traditionalists are great culture warriors, prolific writers and even political activists opposing everything from abortion to the war on Iraq. Likewise Eastern Orthodox such as the late Fr Seraphim (Rose) who while fallible took modernity apart in his writings. Not so the BCs, at least not nearly as much. (Notable exception, regarding Church matters such as liturgy and theology: Fr Serge Keleher.)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2003, 03:06:03 PM by Serge » Logged

Brendan03
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2003, 11:21:01 AM »

What I have always heard is that the idea here is to avoid missionizing amongst the Orthodox (or fallen-away Orthodox) in order to avoid the perpetuation of the situation that initially obtained when the various Eastern Catholic jurisdictions were created.  RCs don't have the same reluctance to do this amongst the Protestants, for example.  Still, the issue exists as to what, if anything, the mission of the Eastern Catholics is in the United States and other countries that are not in the "traditional" realm of the Eastern Catholic Churches.  Seems that Rome thinks that their activities here should be circumscribed in such a way that they do not interfere with, or cause scandal to, the Roman Church -- which, by implication, is considered the "default" Catholic Church here due to the demographic situation.  Witness Rome's attitude toward the ordination of married men to the EC priesthood, for example, or Rome's insistence on retaining the say-so regarding the election of Bishops for the Eastern Catholic "exarchates" here (eg, the Melkites) that are considered to be "outside their traditional territories".

Brendan

B
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2003, 04:20:56 PM »

Serge,

From the time I was BC I was told that such was the case previously.  It is not the case any more.  

Tony

Tómame como al tequila, de un golpe y sin pensarlo. - Ricardo Arjona

I'd be a fool to surrender when I know I can be a contender
and if everbody's a sinner then everybody can be a winner
I'll see you when yo
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2003, 04:32:56 PM »

Serge,

I might be mistaken but I think this had to do with jurisdiction issues and was applied in the diaspora.  Obviously the Union was born of a type of missionizing, right?

Tony

Tómame como al tequila, de un golpe y sin pensarlo. - Ricardo Arjona

I'd be a fool to surrender when I know I can be a contender
and if everbody's a sinner then everybody can be a winner
I'll see you when yo
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: