OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 01:05:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about a Saint  (Read 993 times) Average Rating: 0
Carole
Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic (ish)

« on: August 08, 2006, 09:30:39 AM »

This may or may not be in the right place, but I thought I would contain myself to the "Convert Issues" forum until I am more familiar with both the forum and Orthodoxy.

In researching old threads here I found a couple threads about choosing a Saint's name for Chrismation ... It seems that one traditionally chooses the name of the saint commemorated on or near the date of one's birth.  So to that end I went to the GOA's website and looked at their calendar.  On May 23 (within 2 days of my birthday) is "Mary the Myrrhbearer".  I was wondering if this saint is the same as Mary Magdalene?

Some sites I visit seem to indicate that they are the same.  Others seem to indicate that they are not.

It would be interesting if they are the same.  When I was received into the RCC I chose as my patron saint St. Mary Magdalene.  It would be funny (in a providential sense) if I chose as my patron saint upon joining the RCC the female saint who is commemorated closest to my birthday.

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on my confusion.

Carole
jlerms
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 10:42:34 AM »

Carole, 
One of my daughters birthday is May 23rd and her name saint is Mary the Myrrhbearer and wife of Cleopas.

Mary the wife of Cleopas is mentioned (John 19:25) as standing at the cross in company with Mary of Magdala and Mary the mother of Jesus. By comparing Matt. 27:56 and Mark 15:40, we find that this Mary and "Mary the mother of James the little" are one and the same person, and that she was the sister of our Lord's mother. She was that "other Mary" who was present with Mary of Magdala at the burial of our Lord (Matt. 27:61; Mark 15:47); and she was one of those who went early in the morning of the first day of the week to anoint the body, and thus became one of the first witnesses of the resurrection (Matt. 28:1; Mark 16:1; Luke 24:1). See: Joses, Joseph, and James (the less).

God bless,   Juliana
Carole
Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic (ish)

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 10:45:25 AM »

Thank you so much.  I was getting a bit confused (not an unusual state for me).

Carole
donkeyhotay

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

"God, Who provides for all, will not desert us"

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 11:07:53 AM »

It certainly is confusing.  Don't know why there are so many Marys.  I guess as far as God is concerned, the more, the Mary-er.  Grin

A dog is better than I am, for he has love and does not judge.
-Abba Xanthias
Panagiotis
Libertarian/Orthodox/Lush
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Phanar

Advocating Liberty Since 1973

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 01:22:59 PM »

Ouch, bad pun, but funny!

Anyways, I have two icons referring to the Myrrhbearers and both of them contain a different number of women. A Slavonic icon contains six women and the Greek one contains only three. When Iresearched it out, there were a number of traditional questions regarding the who the women were exactly and by what names they were, so icons throughout the centuries would change the number of women from time to time.

I thought it was interesting to say the least. My conclusion was that there were Myrrhbearers and the Theotokos and Mary of Magdala were present.

Blessings,
Panagiotis

"The first condition for the establishment of perpetual peace is the general adoption of the principles of laissez-faire capitalism"
-Ludwig Von Mises
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 02:28:04 PM »

The Myhrr-bearers that I can recall are: Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of Cleopas, Salome, Susanna.  I thought there was one or two more, but I can't remember off the top of my head.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 02:08:47 AM »

The Myhrr-bearers that I can recall are: Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of Cleopas, Salome, Susanna.ÂÂ  I thought there was one or two more, but I can't remember off the top of my head.

There's also St. Joannah the Myrrhbearer (I think that's the right spelling in English). I know that because one of my daughter's names is Ioana and I was looking into the saints that shared that name.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: