Author Topic: Suddenly Slow  (Read 832 times)

Offline Psalti Boy

• High Elder
Suddenly Slow
« on: August 07, 2006, 10:06:00 PM »
I wonder if anyone can offer any advice for a speed problem I have.  About a week ago my computer started, very noticibly,taking longer than usual to open up web pages and my own files.  I did a disc cleanup and did a defrag even though it said it wasn't needed.  My Norton software got a Trojan Horse and quarantined it.  The only other thing that may have a bearing on this is that my ISP is Adelphia Cable and was recently taken over by Time Warner.  I don't know what else to check.  Thanks for your help.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
Re: Suddenly Slow
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 10:13:29 PM »
I don't think the ISP change would have done it, but it wouldn't surprise me.
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline Dismus

• Elder
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 10:34:07 PM »
I wonder if anyone can offer any advice for a speed problem I have.ÂÂ  About a week ago my computer started, very noticibly,taking longer than usual to open up web pages and my own files.ÂÂ  I did a disc cleanup and did a defrag even though it said it wasn't needed.ÂÂ  My Norton software got a Trojan Horse and quarantined it.ÂÂ  The only other thing that may have a bearing on this is that my ISP is Adelphia Cable and was recently taken over by Time Warner.ÂÂ  I don't know what else to check.ÂÂ  Thanks for your help.

I had the same problem the last 3 days. I got the paranoid feeling it was from the hackers on this site.
Try a system restore and see if that helps.
It helped me.
It is in the control panel.
Good Luck.
This is a fast procedure, but make sure you are not working on anything when you start it.

Offline Psalti Boy

• High Elder
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 12:52:10 AM »
I had the same problem the last 3 days. I got the paranoid feeling it was from the hackers on this site.
Try a system restore and see if that helps.
It helped me.
It is in the control panel.
Good Luck.
This is a fast procedure, but make sure you are not working on anything when you start it.

I'll give it a try.  Thanks.