OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 09:58:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why not convert to Oriental Orthodoxy?  (Read 6536 times) Average Rating: 0
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2006, 09:44:08 AM »

CORRECTIVE POST: TOPIC REMERGED. 

My personal apologies to all offended parties.

After looking at all the posts in context (which was not done prior to split), I honestly don't think there's anything to split.  Zebu made some inaccurate comments re: the OO communion, and EA and others corrected him; if he (zebu) is going to have reasons for choosing EO over OO, they need to be accurate ones.  And, in the midst of the accuracy of terms and intercommunion discussion, there were actually individual posts (iirc) that dealt with the OP.  So I agree w/EA here, really, y'all.  Embarrassing for me, I know, since I did all that out of ignorance.  I'm gonna make this call as GM to remerge it and leave it alone, continuing the thread as it was.  Again, I apologize for splitting what didn't need to be split; let's bring all this back to the OP now that terms have been/are being clarified.

Sorry, y'all.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2006, 09:48:53 AM »

Like other posters here, I became EO because there were EO parishes around.  I personally like the Council of Chalcedon, so I'm pretty comfortable as an EO.  But, I don't think the OO's mean to say anything re: christology that the EO's don't also mean to say (and vice versa), so attending an OO parish would pose no problem for me.

Intercommunion is out until our hierarchs get back together--which is a necessary formality.  In my book, we (EO and OO) have already attained unity of faith.  Now we just need to recognize it formally.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 09:49:34 AM by Pedro » Logged

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2006, 09:52:23 AM »

Intercommunion is out until our hierarchs get back together--which is a necessary formality.ÂÂ  In my book, we (EO and OO) have already attained unity of faith.ÂÂ  Now we just need to recognize it formally.

Indeed! The situation reminds me of when you're about to buy a house (at least, here in the US): both you and the seller have agreed upon the price and all other external details, but there is still a gap of time until you have a closing date, sign the papers, and get the keys.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2006, 10:05:53 AM »

Pedro,

I appreciate your re-consideration to splitting/moving this thread. I'll be the first to admit that i've shamefully erred with respect to my approach and attitude to the issues in question on many occasions in the past such as to warrant my posts/threads being moderated, but I have sincerely attempted to rectify that approach/attitude for quite some time now. I thank you for your understanding on this occasion and apologise to you and all other moderators/administrators involved if I reacted inappropriately.

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Dismus
Elder

« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2006, 12:18:57 PM »

Why not convert to OO?

All I can come up with is I like Greek food better.
And food is important.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2006, 01:47:01 PM »

Why not convert to OO?

All I can come up with is I like Greek food better.
And food is important.

If you haven't tried Indian and Ethiopian food, then you haven't made an informed decision. Muy deliciosos!

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2006, 01:55:35 PM »

If you haven't tried Indian and Ethiopian food, then you haven't made an informed decision.

While I agree that Ethiopian and Indian food is great, I would hardly consider you as a 'paragon of informed decision making', Matthew.  Roll Eyes

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
StBrigid

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2006, 11:36:46 AM »

I ended up in the Coptic church mostly because my fiance' was already there.  He ended up there because a) it was in the neighborhood, b) it was Orthodox, and c) the Copts were warm and friendly.  It was a little more involved than that, but basically that's it.

As I was investigating Orthodoxy, like most converts I was learning from the Antiochians and visiting one of their parishes as well as my then-boyfriend's.  As others have said, I could have happily gone either way.

As for "why not the OO," I think the question itself reveals that the EO won the propaganda wars.  Smiley  Not to downplay the substance of Chalcedon and what came after, but a lot of what came after was politics and posturing.  There's still some of that today, and it does tend to cloud the real issues.  (Lord, have mercy on us.)  So I imagine for the inquirer who's just starting out and not too certain about things, the EO seems a safer bet.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2006, 12:12:54 PM »

As for "why not the OO," I think the question itself reveals that the EO won the propaganda wars.

Kinda...but I had never heard of OO Churches until a few years ago.  Also, it seems like only the past several years that many EO and OO seem to agree on the Christological issues.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2006, 01:35:53 AM »

While I agree that Ethiopian and Indian food is great, I would hardly consider you as a 'paragon of informed decision making', Matthew.ÂÂ  Roll Eyes

I am when it comes to good food, my friend. Smiley

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2006, 01:37:49 AM »

It's quite possible that many converts to Oriental Orthodoxy from Protestantism or Catholicism still believe in Chalcedon, maybe without even knowing it.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2006, 02:00:59 AM »

It's quite possible that many converts to Oriental Orthodoxy from Protestantism or Catholicism still believe in Chalcedon, maybe without even knowing it.

That doesn't make any sense.  I'm sure many Prots/Catholics have no idea what Chalcedon is.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2006, 02:16:54 AM »

That doesn't make any sense.ÂÂ  I'm sure many Prots/Catholics have no idea what Chalcedon is.

But they still believe, unlike the non-Chalcedonians, that Jesus is two natures united in one person. Even in converting to Oriental Orthodoxy, many will still hold to their previous Christological position.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
StBrigid

Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2006, 06:59:14 PM »

Kinda...but I had never heard of OO Churches until a few years ago.ÂÂ  Also, it seems like only the past several years that many EO and OO seem to agree on the Christological issues.
And your first phrase proves my point.  Smiley

It is in the past 20 years or so that the churches have come to realize that they always have essentially agreed on christology.  It doesn't represent "new christology" for either side, but a different historical understanding.
StBrigid

Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2006, 07:08:20 PM »

This is possible for those who are converting simply to marry an OO person, but otherwise I would find it highly unlikely.ÂÂ  As with all converts, we are catechized, and it can scarcely escape the notice of a person that we are in communion with other OO churches but not EO.ÂÂ  I have talked to cradles in our parish who didn't know it, but converts are more likely to be aware of the differences and of what caused them.

Of the converts in our parish, a couple of us converted to Orthodoxy and chose the Coptic Church for practical reasons (considering it essentially the same as EO), a couple converted specifically to Oriental Orthodoxy because of the Chalcedon issues, and the rest converted from various backgrounds in order to marry cradles.

BTW, your sentence rather awkwardly assumes that EO still "believe in Chalcedon."ÂÂ  They do, but only with the anti-Nestorian clarifications that came in later councils, which arguably brought the EO closer to the same position the OO held all along.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 07:13:08 PM by StBrigid » Logged
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2006, 12:58:13 AM »

BTW, your sentence rather awkwardly assumes that EO still "believe in Chalcedon."ÂÂ  They do, but only with the anti-Nestorian clarifications that came in later councils, which arguably brought the EO closer to the same position the OO held all along.

Where is there Nestorianism in the Confession of Chalcedon? It looks like a middleground between Nestorianism and monophysitism to me.

We, then, following the holy Fathers, all with one consent, teach men to confess one and the same Son, our Lord Jesus Christ, the same perfect in Godhead and also perfect in manhood;

truly God and truly man, of a reasonable [rational] soul and body;

consubstantial [co-essential] with the Father according to the Godhead, and consubstantial with us according to the Manhood;

in all things like unto us, without sin;

begotten before all ages of the Father according to the Godhead, and in these latter days, for us and for our salvation, born of the Virgin Mary, the Mother of God, according to the Manhood;

one and the same Christ, Son, Lord, only begotten, to be acknowledged in two natures, inconfusedly, unchangeably, indivisibly, inseparably;

the distinction of natures being by no means taken away by the union, but rather the property of each nature being preserved, and concurring in one Person and one Subsistence, not parted or divided into two persons, but one and the same Son, and only begotten, God the Word, the Lord Jesus Christ;

as the prophets from the beginning [have declared] concerning Him, and the Lord Jesus Christ Himself has taught us, and the Creed of the holy Fathers has handed down to us.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 01:00:15 AM by Matthew777 » Logged

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2006, 03:11:40 AM »

Matthew, please read Fr. V.C. Samuel's book, The Council of Chalcedon Re-Examined.  In spite of its size, it is actually an interesting, quick read.  It can't hurt, and I think you'll enjoy it.  It will give you more insight into the issues surrounding Chalcedon.  You can find it on amazon.com.

Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2006, 07:02:27 AM »

Yes, that is something that I could consider. But what of the Chalcedonian Confession itself is there for which to have disagreement? If you'd rather PM me on the topic, that's fine.

Peace.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2006, 07:57:15 AM »

Matthew,

This thread already came close to being moved due to certain exchanges being misinterpreted as discussion of the sort that you are attempting to induce here. I recommend you take Salpy's advice; Fr. V.C. Samuel's book has the answer to all your questions - it's a rather thorough treatment of the general subject.

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: