OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 11:44:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jerusalem Patriarchate- Here we go again.....  (Read 1684 times) Average Rating: 0
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« on: August 03, 2006, 12:13:17 PM »

http://themedialine.org/news/news_detail.asp?NewsID=14616

PALESTINIANS IRKED BY CONDUCT OF NEW PATRIARCH

The Palestinian leadership is concerned that the new Greek Orthodox Patriarch of Jerusalem, Theophilos III, is allowing property near Jaffa Gate in the Old City of Jerusalem to fall into Jewish hands.

Amil Jarjou’i, a member of the Palestinian parliament, circulated a message to media outlets on Wednesday explaining that the leadership was disturbed by Theophilos’ conduct.

Theophilos was appointed patriarch a year ago. His predecessor, Irineos, was the first Greek Orthodox patriarch to be ousted from the Greek Orthodox Church, after he was accused of leasing property to companies thought to be linked to a Jewish fund.

The land in question has immense historical, religious, strategic and political significance. If and when talks between Israel and the Palestinians on the status of Jerusalem begin, this area would prove to be highly significant.

The patriarch of the Greek-Orthodox Church in Jerusalem is considered one of the highest ranks in the church, second only to the patriarch of Constantinople.

A year after the new patriarch was appointed, Jarjou’i said it was his “moral and national obligation” to point out that the new patriarch had not lived up to his obligations to cancel previous agreements regarding property around Jaffa Gate.

Also, he said there were increasing concerns about media reports suggesting that additional property, both inside and outside the walls of Jerusalem’s Old City, was being given away without letting the church’s Arab subjects into the decision-making process.

The church’s previous position, Jarjou’i wrote, bore results “which we cannot accept, nor live with.” He called for an emergency meeting to grant the Arab subjects their rights.

The London-based A-Sharq Al-Awsat reported that the MP met Theophilos twice to discuss this issue, but the meeting did not yield positive results.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 01:31:01 PM »

Oh Boy.  Undecided

The patriarch of the Greek-Orthodox Church in Jerusalem is considered one of the highest ranks in the church, second only to the patriarch of Constantinople.

I especially loved this misleading part.  There is no real "rank".  And if we want to be picky, isn't Alexandria #2 and I think Antioch #3?  (Jerusalem #4?).
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 01:37:14 PM »

Who knows what to believe now.  Now that the Palestinian Authorities know that the Church is able and willing to depose its Bishops if it is displeased, is it manipulating the press (and thus public opinion) to suit its own needs?  Or is this a legitimate criticism?

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 01:38:25 PM »

Oh Boy.ÂÂ  Undecided

I especially loved this misleading part.ÂÂ  There is no real "rank".ÂÂ  And if we want to be picky, isn't Alexandria #2 and I think Antioch #3?ÂÂ  (Jerusalem #4?).

If we want to be picky, yes.  But honestly, who cares?  That order only means something when more than one of them is in the same place at the same time, determining who celebrates/blesses/etc.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 03:36:35 PM »

I'm getting the impression that nothing will satisfy the Palestinians now...further dreams of screwing things up for the Israelis- like they being the landlords instead of the Church.

Fugetaboutit...

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
observer
High Elder

Vivre die Raznitsa!

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 01:49:21 PM »

Some Arab nationalists (whatever that means) want the Patriarchate to be Arab.  Unfortunately a certain jurisdicition is aiding and abetting this move.  Today Greek means, being a Greek national. Originally it meant being Orthodox i.e. Roman.  There have been Arab patriarchates as there was an Arab Byzantine Emperor  - but they did not consider themselves 'nationals'.

Thou shalt not prefer one thing to another (Law of Liberalism)
alexp4uni
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: kinda practicing theist
Jurisdiction: ecumenical kind

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 02:54:21 PM »

Some Arab nationalists (whatever that means) want the Patriarchate to be Arab.

They are two types of Jerusalem Task Force in the Holy City which are

1.) for the Israelis to establish their sovereignty by recognizing Israelis over Palestinians in regards to lobby U.S. Congress to reserve land property or possibly acknowledge Israel's governing over the PA.

2.) Arab nationalists, who are not all Christian in the group, rally for their direction in Jerusalem. It was to have Orthodox Christian Arabs to takeover the Patriarchate when it was changed in 1594. The Arab hearths had a custom at that time with their fathers and sons to become priests which they would not get married, then they would have more clergy from other families in relation to the Hierarchy. Similar to the Jewish tradition before Pentecost when Zebedee the father of St. John the Theologian was a priest.

I am not really bothered by the Greek Patriarch at the time to replace all the Arabs from the hierarchy. I was told by other Syrians (Oriental) that +Germanos at the time, the Greek National Patriarch, had wanted to stand up against the Turkish Governor by reclaiming the properties of the Holy Sepulchure. That is when the Governor's family gave up the safekeeping of the the Properties when the Governor made the Agreement to separate all the properties in a Compact to all different Christians groups (Orthodox, Catholics etc...) It is unlikely the Arabs will get back the Hierarchy today because the Greek Orthodox in Jerusalem will lose their claim over the Franciscans. Perhaps it was the biggest failure to the Church of Greece to do such an action.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 03:17:28 PM »

Some Arab nationalists (whatever that means) want the Patriarchate to be Arab.  Unfortunately a certain jurisdicition is aiding and abetting this move.  Today Greek means, being a Greek national. Originally it meant being Orthodox i.e. Roman.  There have been Arab patriarchates as there was an Arab Byzantine Emperor  - but they did not consider themselves 'nationals'.

Interesting observation. Most of the Hellenes I know (real Greeks in Greece) still consider themselves Romans.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2006, 03:52:29 PM »

While giving into the demands of Arab Nationalists once to keep the peace may have been acceptable, if they start making a habit of this the Church needs to put them in their place. I hope that if trouble does arise the hierarchy will stand their ground this time.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Tags: Israel Jerusalem Ecumenical Patriarchate Palestine 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: