OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 02, 2014, 04:52:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has anyone seen the film, "He Who Must Die"?  (Read 536 times) Average Rating: 0
suzannes

« on: August 01, 2006, 11:16:19 PM »

This is a 1959 film, set in Greece, by the American director, Jules Dassin.  It concerns a village in Greece that puts on a passion play, when refugees from a village destroyed by the Turks come looking for refuge, the whole meaning of Christianity is called into question.  Boy, was that ever condensed into a nutshell!  I would love to hear someone else's opinion on it, since I am very conflicted.  The film was meant to be an allegory about McCarthyism (yeah, what film from the 50's wasn't??)  At first, it seems to be quite an accurate depiction of Orthodoxy, but it doesn't stay that way.  Still, it was interesting to watch a two hour film where Orthodoxy is protrayed in some detail.  The final shot is the saintly priest picking up a gun, which is I believe, canonically forbidden.  But hey, it's only a movie.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: