OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 26, 2014, 05:33:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Commemorating our most pure, most blessed Lady  (Read 1974 times) Average Rating: 0
authio
Elder

« on: August 01, 2006, 08:28:18 PM »

Hey everybody!

I was wondering...

Now that we're in the Dormition Fast, are there any changes in the services?  Different prayers, stichera, troparia, etc.?  Dogmatons?

Thanks,
-Authio

Christ is risen!
Cristo ha resucitado!
Христос Воскресе!
Χριστός Ανέστη!
 المسيح قام
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 09:22:12 AM »

You can check here for the OCA's hymns on different days, as they come up.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 03:34:47 PM »

In our parish, we will have additional Paraklesis prayer services supplicating our Most Holy Theotokos.

Scamandrius

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Carpatho Russian
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory for ever!

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 07:55:35 PM »

I was wondering...
Now that we're in the Dormition Fast, are there any changes in the services?
Unlike the Great Fast, the Dormition Fast has no supplemental text like the Triodion.  The only day of liturgical preparation for the feast is August 14, the "Predprazdnstvo" - the Forefeast.
Many parishes will serve the Paraklis (as mentioned previously by Scamandrius) on weekdays of the fast.  This service begins with "God is the Lord" and troparia to the Theotokos, contains the Canon of Supplication to the Theotokos, a Gospel Reading from Luke (1:39-49, 56), stichera to the Theotokos (in the Carpatho Russian tradition, these stichera are sung to the special melody (Tone 2), "When from the Tree", the same melody used at the aposticha of Good Friday Vespers - in my opinion, one of the most hauntingly beautiful melodies in Church Chant), and ends with a prayer to the Theotokos.

Zastupnice christianov nepostydnaja, chodatajice ko Tvorcu nepreložnaja, ne prezri hr’išnych molenij hlasy, popredvari jako blahaja na pomošč nas, virno vopijuščich ti: Uskori na molitvu, i potščisja na umolenije, zastupajušči prisno Bohorodice, čtuščich t’a.
authio
Elder

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 10:12:03 PM »

Sweet deal!

Where can I find the text of this Paraklesis and/or find a local parish that serves it (as far as I know, mine does not)?  I guess I could call them, but I don't often have the time to at work during normal office hours....

Christ is risen!
Cristo ha resucitado!
Христос Воскресе!
Χριστός Ανέστη!
 المسيح قام
zebu
Mot à ta mère!
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

aimovoroi tourkoi!

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 10:23:56 PM »

Paul-
I think it is more of a Greek thing, which leaves us OCA folk out in the cold.  It's a really nice service though.  Holy Apostles in Shoreline and Assumption in Seattle have it.  You can hear a recording of the Small Paraklesis here:  http://www.goarch.org/en/chapel/learntochant/paraklesis.asp

Жизнь прожить не поле перейти
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 01:01:01 AM »

Sweet deal!

Where can I find the text of this Paraklesis and/or find a local parish that serves it (as far as I know, mine does not)?ÂÂ  I guess I could call them, but I don't often have the time to at work during normal office hours....

+Bishop Basil, Antiochian Bishop of the Midwest, has the whole service at this link:
http://www.networks-now.net/litresswraoc/SVCParaklesis_Theotokos.htm

The instruction on our service book says that this is to be said every night of the Dormition Fast (or in every time of distress and trouble) so have at it. 

There is no music included, though most of the hymns are in tone 4, the canon in tone 8 and a few things in tone 3 and 2.  So if you can chant, chant the Paraklesis!

Scamandrius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006, 01:03:51 AM »

+Bishop Basil, Antiochian Bishop of the Midwest, has the whole service at this link:

The instruction on our service book says that this is to be said every night of the Dormition Fast (or in every time of distress and trouble) so have at it.ÂÂ  

Sorry.  Didn't mean to get your hopes up!  That link I posted only has the guidelines for how to chant the Paraklesis.  THERE

scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 01:05:33 AM »

The instruction on our service book says that this is to be said every night of the Dormition Fast (or in every time of distress and trouble) so have at it.ÂÂ  

Sorry.  Didn't mean to get your hopes up!  That link I posted only has the rubrics for how to chant the Paraklesis.  THERE IS NO TEXT.  But it does give you the places where you can find the texts.  However, I don't know how many people have a copy of the Great Horologion! ÂÂ

I'll keep looking!

Scamandrius

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2006, 01:55:56 AM »

(Shameless plug for Julian Calendar ACRODers and anyone else in the area):

SATURDAY & SUNDAY, AUG. 26-27:
ANNUAL SUMMER PILGRIMAGE IN HONOR OF THE DORMITION OF THE MOST-HOLY MOTHER OF GOD at Camp Nazareth, Mercer, PA.  7 P.M. Great Vespers and Blessing of Bread, Confessions before and after Vespers, Enthronement of the Dormition Shroud.
10 A.M. Hierarchical Divine Liturgy celebrated by His Eminence, Metropolitan Nicholas, assisted by Diocesan Clergy.  The Liturgy will be preceded by the blessing of the Pochaev Mother of God icon and the Dormition of the Theotokos Icon.  Minor Orders of Tonsure and Sub-Diaconate conferred on four candidates.  Choral responses sung by St. Nicholas Church Choir, Homestead, PA under the direction of Reader Andrew Talarovich; and Plain Chant and Choral responses sung before, during and after the Liturgy by the Women's Choir of the Church of the Dormition in Jarabina, Slovakia, under the direction of Dr. Anna Derevjanik.  Presentation of Hramota to Ms Donna Yarina in recognition of her years of service to the Diocese and ACRY.  Prayers for continued health of Protopresbyters Stephen Dutko, Michael Sopoliga, Peter Buletza and John I. Dolhy.
Note: Father John and Pani Patricia Duranko will celebrate their 50th Anniversaries of Ordination and Marriage in 2007.  Prayers for departed diocesan Bishops, Priests, Monastics and Diocesan Faithful.
12 Noon: Luncheon (Meal ticket costs $12 per person and must be pre-sent and pre-paid by August 19th), and Singing of Folk Songs by the Jarabina Women's Choir.
1:30 P.M.: Singing of the Moleben for Many Intentions, Blessing of Water, Flowers, Religious Items, Automobiles, and Festival Anointing and Reverencing of the Enthroned Pochaev Icon.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
SakranMM
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Most Holy Theotokos, save us!

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 10:56:13 AM »

Ok...this is for you Byzantine chanters out there.

I'm looking for an online link of sheet music for the Paraklesis service in Western notation.  The canon is in "Tone 8" in the prayer book; however, on the recordings that I have heard of the service, it seems to have its own melody, almost like Tone 7, but not quite.  I can imitate the first ode well enough by ear, but after that, I'm lost, just "freestyling" it when I chant.  Can anyone help with a link or other source that may help me chant with the traditional melody?  Thank you.

In Christ,

Michael

"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us..."
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2006, 12:14:41 PM »

The canon is in "Tone 8" in the prayer book; however, on the recordings that I have heard of the service, it seems to have its own melody, almost like Tone 7, but not quite.  I can imitate the first ode well enough by ear, but after that, I'm lost, just "freestyling" it when I chant.  Can anyone help with a link or other source that may help me chant with the traditional melody?  Thank you.

I understand why you are saying tone 7 but the canon melody is plagal 4 (tone Cool. Most of the "tone 8" canons have a special melody that are very unique and very up beat. There are a number of recordings of the service out there and the best way to learn how to sing it is by singing along with the recording. The great thing about learning this service is that the music is the same for each of the troparion in the ode and if you have a good text each troparion should also have the same meter.

Joseph
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2006, 12:55:35 AM »

Ok...this is for you Byzantine chanters out there.

I'm looking for an online link of sheet music for the Paraklesis service in Western notation.ÂÂ  The canon is in "Tone 8" in the prayer book; however, on the recordings that I have heard of the service, it seems to have its own melody, almost like Tone 7, but not quite.ÂÂ  I can imitate the first ode well enough by ear, but after that, I'm lost, just "freestyling" it when I chant.ÂÂ  Can anyone help with a link or other source that may help me chant with the traditional melody?ÂÂ  Thank you.

Michael,

I had the opportunity to chant this on Wednesday.  The canon is in Tone 8 (with its own idiosyncracies) and is very beautiful and moving.  I just wish more people would have shown up!

Anyways, as for your question, this is from +Bishop BASIL's website of the Antiochian Diocese of the Midwest:

Where can I find the music for the service?
The music for the Small Supplicatory Canon may be obtained from the Wichita Chancery. The music for the Great Supplicatory Canon may be found in The Great Paraklesis (published by the St Nikodemos the Hagiorite Publication Society - 6149 Fairway Lane - Wescosville, PA 18106).

The address and phone numbers for the Chancery are:
 1559 North Woodlawn Boulevard, Wichita, Kansas 67208-2429
Telephone: 316-687-3169 ~ Fax: 316-687-3327

If you want to email a request, go to this website and click send email: http://www.antiochian.org/southwest/wichita_chancery.htm

Like I said, it might take a while to get a copy, but at least you would have the music for the next Dormition Fast or for any other time of distress when prayers to our Most Holy Theotokos are welcome.

Scamandrius

SakranMM
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Most Holy Theotokos, save us!

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2006, 04:23:48 PM »

Thanks everyone.  I've been listening to Eikona's rendition of the Paraklesis, and it is close enough to traditional Greek recordings I've heard.  I think it will help.

"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us..."
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2006, 09:47:05 PM »

Mode Plagal 4 has 3 different typical styles: the Slow and Slow-fast melody, which is based on Ni (C, or Do) and stays in the lower tetrachord most of the time; the slow-fast and fast melody, which starts on Ni but sticks more around Di (G, Sol) and the upper tetrachord; and the fast melody "according to the three-note" based on Ga (F, Fa) - it is this third style which the canons are done in, when written for Plagal 4th (with a few exceptions).

The Small Paraklesis Canon without exception is chanted in the third style of Plagal 4th.  The Great Paraklesis Canon is chanted in this style except (by tradition) the 7th and 8th Odes, which are chanted in the second style I described above.  Technically the third style (the Fast, "three-note") actually shifts the scale up, so that what used to be Ga becomes Ni; but this is a discussion for those who really want that kind of depth.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: