Author Topic: Neither Shall Ye Touch It  (Read 587 times)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Neither Shall Ye Touch It
« on: July 26, 2012, 11:16:24 AM »
In Genesis 2 we find this passage:

"And the Lord God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die." (Gen. 2:16-17)

In the next chapter the serpent questions Eve and she responds:

"Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden? And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden: But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die." (Gen. 3:1-3)

My question is, did Eve add "neither shall ye touch it" on her own? Was it an addition that she thought would help fulfill the original God-given command? Or perhaps did Adam come up with it, since in Genesis 2 the creation of woman (Gen. 2:18-25) came after God had given the command? Or was the command "neither shall ye touch it" given by God, and simply absent from the text in Genesis 2?

Offline NicholasMyra

• Taxiarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
Re: Neither Shall Ye Touch It
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 12:31:18 PM »
Sounds like that typical hebrew repetitive literary style to me.
Dear God, please force me to salvation and together with me as many people as possible.

Vote for a Ministry section on OC.net

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 12:37:17 PM »

But in this case it doesn't repeat...

Offline NicholasMyra

• Taxiarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 12:55:47 PM »

I meant like,

"Then God said, 'Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness"

Dear God, please force me to salvation and together with me as many people as possible.

Offline Gamliel

• Protokentarchos
  • "Truth is born as lightning strikes -- Archilochos
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 12:55:58 PM »
Protestant ministers who I have heard always explained it that Eve added the statement.  It would be interesting to find out if the Church Fathers had anything to say about it.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 01:09:14 PM »

I meant like,

"Then God said, 'Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness"

Ahh, I see what you're saying now (though I'm not sure that I would have used that particular verse  ;D ), thanks, yeah, that's possible!

Protestant ministers who I have heard always explained it that Eve added the statement.  It would be interesting to find out if the Church Fathers had anything to say about it.

I'll do some digging around, hopefully something will pop up...

Offline jah777

• Archon
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 01:53:30 PM »
St. John Chrysostom and St. Bede understood the words, “neither shall ye touch it”, as having been commanded by God rather than added by Eve. 

Immediately after this verse, St. Bede states:
The serpent first asked and the woman gave this answer, so that the transgression was inexcusable, and in no way could it be said that the woman had forgotten what God had commanded.

St. John Chrysostom says:
I mean, after God said, “Do not touch it lest you die,” [the evil creature] said, “You will not truly die.”  Then, not being satisfied with contradicting the words of God…

Offline NicholasMyra

• Taxiarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 02:05:39 PM »
Ahh, I see what you're saying now (though I'm not sure that I would have used that particular verse  ;D ),

Then how about:

"Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion! Shout in triumph, O daughter of Jerusalem! Behold, your king is coming to you; He is just and endowed with salvation, Humble, and mounted on a donkey, Even on a colt, the foal of a donkey."

;)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 02:05:55 PM by NicholasMyra »

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 02:10:36 PM »
Ahh, I see what you're saying now (though I'm not sure that I would have used that particular verse  ;D ),

Then how about:

"Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion! Shout in triumph, O daughter of Jerusalem! Behold, your king is coming to you; He is just and endowed with salvation, Humble, and mounted on a donkey, Even on a colt, the foal of a donkey."

;)

The quote of Zech. 9:9 in Matthew's gospel works for me! (though I'm not sure about the surrounding verses)  :angel: