OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 06:28:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Apostle's Fast  (Read 747 times) Average Rating: 0
nickg

« on: July 27, 2006, 04:44:30 PM »

I know this has probably been discussed before on this site, but since I'm new, and I don't want to read through hundreds of pages of arguing, maybe someone can give me a quick answer.

Do New Calendar Churches give any type of defense or reason why the shortening and/or the elimination of the Apostle's Fast due to the Revised Calendar is acceptable?

Relating to this, here is a link explaining things from an Old Calendar perspective... http://www.orthodox.net/articles/apostles-fast-skipping.html
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 05:04:21 PM »

To my knowledge, no.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Kaminetz

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 09:42:56 PM »

I myself have often wondered, how do the New Calendar churches tackle the Apostles' fast in such situations? Do they at least suggest voluntary fasting for a period of time, or is it just "eaten up"?

Even though I'm ideologically opposed to the idea of adopting the Gregorian calendar (if the Julian is good enough for astronomers, its good enough for us) I haven't fasted ever during the apostle's fast, so I'm in no position to be a critic here, I'm only curious.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 12:24:07 AM »

All I've seen or heard is the direction to fast for the amount of time that ends up on the calendar; if it's 3 days, then 3 days; if 20, then 20.  Honestly, the amount, duration, and severity of fasting keeps coming up, and the best answer anyone can give is "talk to your priest/spiritual father."  I know the answer is grounded in a world where we should all have good and regular relations with our parish priest; and many don't.  But for those who have good priests, please develop the relationship; and for those who don't, then find another priest elsewhere to be your spiritual father, and then talk with them about fasting.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags: fasting 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: