Author Topic: Apostle's Fast  (Read 878 times)

Offline nickg

Apostle's Fast
« on: July 27, 2006, 04:44:30 PM »
I know this has probably been discussed before on this site, but since I'm new, and I don't want to read through hundreds of pages of arguing, maybe someone can give me a quick answer.

Do New Calendar Churches give any type of defense or reason why the shortening and/or the elimination of the Apostle's Fast due to the Revised Calendar is acceptable?

Relating to this, here is a link explaining things from an Old Calendar perspective... http://www.orthodox.net/articles/apostles-fast-skipping.html

Offline Αριστοκλής

• Merarches
Re: Apostle's Fast
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 05:04:21 PM »
To my knowledge, no.
"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides

Offline Kaminetz

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 09:42:56 PM »
I myself have often wondered, how do the New Calendar churches tackle the Apostles' fast in such situations? Do they at least suggest voluntary fasting for a period of time, or is it just "eaten up"?

Even though I'm ideologically opposed to the idea of adopting the Gregorian calendar (if the Julian is good enough for astronomers, its good enough for us) I haven't fasted ever during the apostle's fast, so I'm in no position to be a critic here, I'm only curious.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 12:24:07 AM »
All I've seen or heard is the direction to fast for the amount of time that ends up on the calendar; if it's 3 days, then 3 days; if 20, then 20.  Honestly, the amount, duration, and severity of fasting keeps coming up, and the best answer anyone can give is "talk to your priest/spiritual father."  I know the answer is grounded in a world where we should all have good and regular relations with our parish priest; and many don't.  But for those who have good priests, please develop the relationship; and for those who don't, then find another priest elsewhere to be your spiritual father, and then talk with them about fasting.
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.