OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 03:36:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ST PARASKEVI - miracle  (Read 2635 times) Average Rating: 0
vasilisl

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greece

« on: July 25, 2006, 06:59:28 PM »

Tomorrow 26 july we commemorate a great Saint. Saint Paraskevi. There are so many stories and miracles by this saint in Grecce (and elsewhere ofcourse)

i came across this miracle and i thought of posting it. miracles give us strength. Saints where people like us, but their sacrifices and their way of life led them to theosis. They are examples to us. Saints are one of many many gifts to us by God.

i found this miracle at a great site (www.athos.gr but unfortunately in greek..), but i will translate it:

This event occured on a 26th of july in Koropi, Athens Greece
The family described this as follows:
In Koropi, there is a married couple where the husband is very religious and the wife was a non-believer and mocker of the faith

The husband had great respect and devoutness for St Paraskevi. And always, on the day before we celebrate her memory, he lit a candle at his house. His wife would never lit it herself

So the next day, we got up very early in the morning, washed and dressed up as quietly as he could so he wouldnt disturb his sleeping wife and mother in law, locked the door (twice) and left to go to church.

When he got back from church he found the 2 women very scared and in great panic..

"What wrong?" he asked

"As you lft this morning, a little later we heard someone unlocking our door. 2 Times the sound of unlocking..klak..klak... We froze!!! Then a woman who entered our house with black clothes, tall, very beautiful  appeared in front of us, looking at us without saying a word. She then went into the room where the candle was. She goes there, takes the candle and goes into the kitchen, adds oil, and lit it. Then she takes the cadle and puts it back into the room. She comes back to us, she looks at us and says "Today is my feast" and she left the house!!"

the women where in shock, but the man was touched by this miracle by St Paraskevi to his non-believer and mocker of the faith, wife

apologies for my mistakes in my attempt to translate

Ο Σταυρός του Χριστού είναι η ζωή και η σω
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 07:01:33 PM »

No apologies necessary - thank you for passing the story along!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
vasilisl

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 07:03:47 PM »

WHO IS WHO of St Paraskevi (Αγια Παρασκευη)

Paraskevi was born in Rome to Christian parents. Her parents gave her the name Paraskevi whichs means in greek: Friday, as she was born on a friday. When her parents died, she gave out her fortune to the poor and became a nun. She received the blessing of the Abbess to proclaim the Gospel of Christ as an itinerant preacher, even though it was illegal to do so.

Some Jews brought her for trial before the Emperor Antonius, who tried to persuade her to give up her faith. She remained steadfast, so she was tortured by fire and a white hot helmet was placed on her head. No matter what the soldiers would do to torture her, she would be healed and start the next day refreshed and whole as if nothing had happened. This infuriated Antonius so he decided to boil her alive in a cauldron of boiling water, oil and tar. When she was lowered into it, she acted as though it were lukewarm water. The Emperor accused his men of ineptitude and told Paraskevi to splash some of this water on him. She obeyed and threw hot tar on his face. He was blinded and called out to her to pray to God to heal him, promising to follow Christ if he were to be healed. She jumped out of the cauldron and went to a spring and poured some of its water on his eyes, making the sign of the Cross. He was healed immediately and was baptized in the Name of the Trinity, and ended the persecution of Christians. That spring in Therapia (now in Turkey) has ever since been a source of healing, especially for blindness and other eye ailments.

Marcus Aurelius succeded Antonius and renewed the persecution of Christians. Paraskevi was tortured in two more cities. She again miraculously recovered from her wounds. The pagans tried to ascribe her miracles to their false gods. She affirmed that it was the power of "my Christ, the true God." Prince Tarasius ended her earthly life by beheading her on July 26, 180. Her holy relics were later taken to Constantinople.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 07:06:18 PM by vasilisl » Logged

FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 02:27:10 AM »

Thanks for the information on St. Paraskevi!

For whatever reason, I had always found myself 'drawn' to her and her story. I cannot explain it any more than that, for whatever reason, she has always been one of my favorites and that I always felt that she was not too far from me. I even wanted to name one of my daughters for her, and my wife would only agree if we happened to have a girl born on a Friday...otherwise no way!

Frankly I was not all that surprised when I was instructed that my first Liturgy where I would be the principle celebrant was on her day! Somehow it seemed fitting and right that she should be there in particular...

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
vasilisl

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 09:45:02 PM »

and i hope she is always close to you and all of us
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 09:47:36 PM by vasilisl » Logged

Tags: saints miracle martyr 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: