OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 09:50:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Going to a Coptic church this weekend.  (Read 898 times) Average Rating: 0
Gabriel
Agnostic Pessimist

« on: July 25, 2006, 10:31:02 PM »

I'm a bit nervous.  I've read the other threads on this sub-forum, so I have a fairly good idea of what to expect, but then again, every church is a little bit different due to the people who attend.

Hopefully, I won't offend anyone there.

Just posting this in case anyone has any additional advice that hasn't been posted in other threads.

The church is St. Mina's in Nashville.

-Gabriel

My soul waits for the Lord
More than those who watch for the morning.
Yes, more than those who watch for the morning.
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 08:30:14 PM »

There's absolutely nothing to be nervous about; i'm sure the congregation at Nashville would love to see you there. Maybe you can ring the parish priest beforehand and just give him a heads up regarding the fact you are an inquirer into Orthodoxy who is planning to explore the Coptic church firsthand by visiting the Nashville parish. That way they can anticipate your coming in order that they may assisst you in any way possible.

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
SetFree
King of Kings

Faith: Oriental Orthodox (Catechumen)
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

Christ, Our God, To Earth Descendeth...

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 08:54:47 PM »

Gabriel, I know this is already too late, but I have to back up EA.  My first visit to St. Antony's in San Antonio, TX...The people were very friendly and helpful.  I do recommend you talk to the Abouna so that he can have someone on the look out for ya and can help you through the liturgy.

At His Feet The Six-Winged Seraph, Cherubim, With Sleepless Eye, Veil Their Faces To His Presence As With Ceasless Voice They Cry:ÂÂ  Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!ÂÂ  Lord Most High! --From the Liturgy of St. James (Translated by Gerard Moultrie)
StBrigid

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 05:13:39 PM »

Gabriel, let us know how things went.  My fiance and I both (as inquirers) received warm welcomes in the Coptic Church.  That is, from a respectful distance- my experience with visiting a couple other Orthodox parishes is that's how the Orthodox tend to approach visitors.  Don't take that distance as coldness.
Tags: Coptic Orthodox Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: