OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 10:29:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Emergency' Christmation?  (Read 2088 times) Average Rating: 0
Troldhaugen
Holy Royal Martyr Alexandra - Pray for us!

Jurisdiction: Converting to Russian Orthodoxy

« on: July 25, 2006, 06:16:42 PM »

I met a lady today who became Orthodox in 1944 and was married to a Russian man and moved to London. She said she was Chrismated only 4 days after her request because it was considered an 'emergency'. She said that she later asked (after the war) why it was so quick and she was told that it was an emergency situation and that if she felt she was a faithful Orthodox, then he was prepared to take a risk given the circumstances and that it was better for her to die in the faith than to die officially 'faithless'. Was this a 'legal' thing to do and is it still done in circumstances such as ill health or in a war zone nowadays?

"One must have only a little patience-and is it really so difficult? For every day that passes quietly I thank God"
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 06:33:30 PM »

EDITED to take out an unchristian reply.  My apologies to the Troldhaugen and the board. 
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 09:51:32 PM by ΝεκτάρÃÅ » Logged
dantxny
OC.net Mineshaft gap
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 06:48:12 PM »

Come on man, I don't think he's judging anyone!  Now, Troldhaugen may correct me if I'm wrong, but he was just curious about this incident.  To answer the question, yes it is a legal thing to do and although I'm not certain, I'm sure it could be done not only in war zones, but in daily life.  I do know it is done in ill health.  However, there is not set time.  I know some catechumins came into the Church only three months and others after three years.  It's dependent on the individual's spirituality and the spiritual father's state.  Remember, that St. Paul baptized men just after telling them about Christ.

"If you give the average Frenchman a choice between a reforming president who would plug the country's huge deficit and a good cheese, he would probably opt for the cheese." - Stephen Clarke
I think the French may be on to something here.
Troldhaugen

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 07:04:06 PM »

I was only enquiring about it and I certainly wasn't judging anyone. I know you might not mean to but sometimes your comments can really be a bit too hard Νεκτάριος.

Thanks for your response dantxny. I was just interested to see if this was a generally accepted thing or whether it was extremely rare.

"One must have only a little patience-and is it really so difficult? For every day that passes quietly I thank God"
dantxny
OC.net Mineshaft gap
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Russian

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 07:11:03 PM »

It definitly isn't the norm.  However, imho, it seems that ORthodoxy seems to go through cycles on initiating converts.  For example, in the Apostolic letters you see immidete initiation, but then during St. Constantine it takes a life time.  In the past it seems that in some areas had a shorter catachemunite, but it seems now that many American Orthodox are starting to have longer ones.  However, this is simply my observations.

"If you give the average Frenchman a choice between a reforming president who would plug the country's huge deficit and a good cheese, he would probably opt for the cheese." - Stephen Clarke
I think the French may be on to something here.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 07:46:47 PM »

Troldhaugen,
To be fair, there have been articles written by priests on the liklihood of a convert staying if they have a longer catchumenate - i.e. they're more likely to take it seriously and not just be a "phase".  Priests who make inquirers go through a longer process are more likely to stay.
Psalti Boy
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 08:53:31 PM »

[quote author=Νεκτάριος link=topic=9596.msg129086#msg129086 date=1153866810]
Since you as a catechumen are already prepared to judge someone who has been living as an Orthodox Christian for 62 years, the priest and other clergy involved....I'll save you the trouble: Gregory of Colorado is the man for you.

http://www.dormitionskete.org/index.shtml

When that doesn't work out there is always the ever faithful http://www.roacusa.org/

Then be sure to check out the Matthewites as well.ÂÂ  You could also enjoy ROCiE, another solidly Orthodox group.ÂÂ  
[/quote]

Sarcasm is always a great way to welcome a newbie.   Now let's see if we can discourage him from coming back
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 09:26:05 PM »

You might as well drop it. Hell will freeze over before Nektarios ever admits he was wrong, and even more unlikely- actually apologises for something!

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 09:34:14 PM »

Undecided
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 09:52:33 PM by ΝεκτάρÃÅ » Logged
Troldhaugen

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2006, 09:39:27 PM »

Hmmm. Your first reply to me was a bit hurtful if I'm honest and I did consider leaving because I just don't need that sort of reply. I'm not turning to the internet for spiritual advice, I'm just turning to the internet for the advice of other Orthodox people because I rarely meet with Orthodox people in my every day life. It doesn't mean I'm basing my faith around their replies. I don't mind being told I'm wrong etc but do you have to do it in such a harsh way? It may be a bit too British but I'm a strong believer in "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all" and at the moment, not one of your posts has actually contained something welcoming, nice or even just polite. As far as I'm concerned, it's forgiven and forgotten because there's bigger things to worry about but just bear in mind that there's a person behind the username.

kansas city

Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2006, 09:44:14 PM »

Wishing words like asshole were permitted on this board.
Psalti Boy
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2006, 09:52:55 PM »

Wishing words like asshole were permitted on this board.

It might be if it were in Greek . . . let's see.

Κολοτριπιδα
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2006, 02:40:12 PM »

Guess our filter is turned off. LOL.

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2006, 06:57:33 AM »

[quote author=Νεκτάριος link=topic=9596.msg129086#msg129086 date=1153866810]
EDITED to take out an unchristian reply.  My apologies to the Troldhaugen and the board. 
[/quote]

And now the weather:
A broad trough of low pressure has situated itself over Hell bringing freezing conditions with ice storms expected in the capital, Pandemonium. Blizzard conditions elsewhere.....

(Good on you Nektarios! And thank you for proving me wrong!)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 07:32:59 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: