OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 08:55:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where Should I Attend Divine Liturgy??  (Read 1970 times) Average Rating: 0
Seekingthetruth

Elder Philotheos Zervakos

« on: July 18, 2007, 04:54:13 PM »

Hello,
Until recently, I had been interested in converting to traditional Catholicism from protestantism. This all changed when I attended a Divine Liturgy at an out of state Antiochian Orthodox Church. I have been doing some research and have come to the conclusion that I need to look further into the the claims of the Eastern Church. While continuing my quest for knowledge, I would like to continue to attend the Divine Liturgy. I have some choices and I would appreciate it if you guy could help me out. I would like to attend a church that is as similar to the Antiochian Church I visited. Here are my choices, 1. Greek Orthodox Cathedral (GOARCH), 2. Serbian Orthodox, 3. 3 OCA Churches. Sadly, the nearest Antiochian Church is 55 miles away!  Sad I've been to the Greek Church before (although I haven't attended the Liturgy there) and it is stunning!

Thanks!  Smiley

"The Orthodox Church is evangelical, but not Protestant. It is orthodox, but not Jewish. It is catholic, but not Roman. It isn't non-denominational - it is pre-denominational. It has believed, taught, preserved, defended and died for the Faith of the Apostles since the Day of Pentecost."
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 04:59:10 PM »

If convenient, visit them all.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Seekingthetruth

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 05:03:45 PM »

I was planning to do just that. I'm just trying to figure out where to start!  Grin

"The Orthodox Church is evangelical, but not Protestant. It is orthodox, but not Jewish. It is catholic, but not Roman. It isn't non-denominational - it is pre-denominational. It has believed, taught, preserved, defended and died for the Faith of the Apostles since the Day of Pentecost."
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 05:10:03 PM »

You're not alone.

Newly relocated to Pittsburgh, my wife and I are on a rotating circuit of 6 equidistant parishes.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 05:34:57 PM »

It's really quite impossible to say which parish would be best for you without more information. All parishes are unique and some have been given greater spiritual gifts, better or worse lay and ordained leadership on the local level, larger or smaller financial resources for ministry. Very little, if anything, can be determined simply on the basis of a parish's jurisdictional affiliation, especially in certain areas of the country. Could you perhaps share the names and locations of these parishes, and, perhaps, their respective Web sites?

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Seekingthetruth

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 05:50:28 PM »

No Problem

Serbian Orthodox: http://www.ststevanofdechani.org/

Greek Orthodox: http://www.greekcathedral.com/index.cfm?page=home

OCA #1: http://www.stgregs.info/

OCA #2: http://www.snwoca.org/(I might try this one first)

pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 09:29:48 PM »

Looks like you have some excellent options.

Regardless of where you end up, I highly recommend getting to know Fr. Joseph DiStefano, the associate pastor at the Greek Orthodox Cathedral. I know him from seminary. A great pastor with an excellent background in outreach, missions and evangelism, with an equally committed wife.

(By the way, welcome to OC.net!)

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 09:38:59 PM »

Welcome to OC.net! You will enjoy here.
Yes, I would recommend to visit more parishes. I tried that in different areas, where I lived. Normally, experience of any new parish enhances.
sohma_hatori
Earthbending Novice
High Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church

The Blind Bandit

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 09:21:06 PM »

Hello,
Until recently, I had been interested in converting to traditional Catholicism from protestantism. This all changed when I attended a Divine Liturgy at an out of state Antiochian Orthodox Church. I have been doing some research and have come to the conclusion that I need to look further into the the claims of the Eastern Church. While continuing my quest for knowledge, I would like to continue to attend the Divine Liturgy. I have some choices and I would appreciate it if you guy could help me out. I would like to attend a church that is as similar to the Antiochian Church I visited. Here are my choices, 1. Greek Orthodox Cathedral (GOARCH), 2. Serbian Orthodox, 3. 3 OCA Churches. Sadly, the nearest Antiochian Church is 55 miles away!  Sad I've been to the Greek Church before (although I haven't attended the Liturgy there) and it is stunning!

Thanks!  Smiley

Your lucky you have options in which parish to visit. I, a Catholic wishing to convert to Orthodoxy cant even find a suitable Parish to seek Help.. There is only one Parish in the Philippines, the Cathedral of the Annunciaion, a Greek one. its in the Capital, and my place is way far far away from the capital  Sad

So why not attend all of the Parishes you wish to attend to? Go to each one, and I believe you'll find Enlightenment in every one.

God bless you...

""Pride is not the opposite of shame, but it's source. True humility is the only antidote to shame.""
— Iroh- Avatar:The Last Airbender
Aristibule
Your Weaker Brother
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

Xeno

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2007, 11:45:56 AM »

I'm impressed with the Serbian website - it is in English! It also looks as if the clergy are monastics. Serbia has that cultural thing of being 'East and West' according to their own history.

"We must begin at once to "build again the tabernacle which is fallen down, and to build again the ruins thereof, and to set it up;" for HE WHO GAVE THE THOUGHT IN OUR HEART HE LAID ALSO THE RESPONSIBILITY ON US THAT THIS THOUGHT SHOULD NOT REMAIN BARREN." - J.J. Overbeck, 1866
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: