OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 03:08:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Respecting Parents  (Read 1792 times) Average Rating: 0
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« on: April 15, 2003, 06:43:16 PM »

Dear all,

I hope everyone is having a rewarding fast! I have a dilemma, which I hope I have handled correctly. For this weekend (Thursday-Saturday night), my parents are going to Atlanta to see my aunt, uncle, and cousin, and they wanted me to go with them. However, I said that I wished to remain and attend the Holy Week services, particularly Holy Thursday and Good Friday. Do you think this was the right decision? I thought it was, but a friend, who is not a Christian, thought I was crazy. What do you all think?

Thanks,

Matt
the slave
intolerant of intolerance
High Elder

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: UGCC

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2003, 06:57:00 PM »

Matt,

You were between the proverbial rock etc.

If I say that we are going on holiday next week, which is when I wanted it to be , and not this week  - my husband's preference  and there was a lot of discussion about this - then I think you will realise that I do understand.

Yes the Services this week are very important leading up to what our faith is really about - that Christ lived and died for us , and on the third day He rose again and now lives in us.

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2003, 11:58:29 PM »

Frobie, there is also the possibility that there are a sufficient number of churches in the Atlanta area--indeed, I know that there are--that will have the Holy Week services (Roman Catholic [Gregorian Calendar], Greek Orthodox [Julian Calendar], etc.).  But when one is visiting relatives, I think that one would find it difficult to leave them to attend church without profound excuses and hard feelings, unless they're avid churchgoers themselves.  Holy Week is too special to miss church services for a practicing Christian, whether RC, EO, or OO, and it comes but once a year.

Hypo-Ortho
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2003, 12:47:41 PM »

Fortunately, I've never really had this problem, because in my family we don't ever schedule these types of things during Holy Week (besides, my whole family, with one or two exceptions, goes to the same church).  But, I do remember one year when we had friends from Ohio who were visiting family in New Jersey, and the only day they could manage to visit was Good Friday (they're Hindus, so it was just normal Friday for them).  So I was sorta in a bind, but my mother pretty much solved my dilemma by telling me I wasn't going to go to church that day.  This annoyed me to no end (Orthodox Good Friday rules!), but I had no real say in the matter.  So I settled for going to an RC service in the afternoon, and periodically excusing myself from our guests in order to read the Hours at their appointed times.  It wasn't ideal, but it's what I chose to do.  If you can go to services at all, by all means go.  If you can't, make do with what you can.  Do you have any liturgical books you could take with you for those days?

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2003, 10:34:12 PM »

I appreciate everybody's replies. I do have a prayer book and the layout of the hours, which I will take with me on the trip. It is a tough decision, but I think my parents will be happy and want me to go anyway. With God's help I can also attend the Orthodox services next week Smiley. Glory to Him in all things.

Pray for me, a sinner

Matt
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2003, 10:24:20 PM »

I hope that it went well for you, Frobisher. I applaud your charity and maturity in your decision. You thought of your parents and not just your own wishes.  

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2003, 04:38:20 PM »

All around a good beginning to Pascha Smiley. Thanks for the advice, again. I'll be going to a GO church for Good Friday too!   :approve:

[what's up with these new smileys? Madness!]

Matt
« Last Edit: April 21, 2003, 04:38:43 PM by Frobisher » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: