OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 07:28:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: URGENT pray needed Problem with lust  (Read 1580 times) Average Rating: 0
psalm91

« on: July 19, 2006, 01:01:12 AM »

People i need your prayers ive been struggling with lust for awhile and i keep falling into alot of evil things, i dont want God to abandon me i understand its a serious sin because i know its wrong and i still commit it, but it totally controls me im 19 years old so you can understand that my body is developing, i dont want to be a slave to sin. I'am always tempted into evil, having bad thoughts, looking at bad things and doing bad things.

i want to enjoy the gift of life but i dont want live a life of sinning
if use can pray for me so the Lord can forgive me and heal me, please

thank u   please pray
may the Lord have mercy on us all
Sloga
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 01:04:38 AM »

I will pray for you, and I ask for you to pray for me also. I'm 17 years old and of course lust is also a major sin I keep experiencing. Personally, my advice is to always have some portable music with you and you cant go wrong with music during your time of tempt Wink

Христе Боже, Распети и Свети!

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic
drewmeister2
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Hellenic Orthodox Traditionalist Church of America

Christmas at St Markella's Cathedral, Astoria, NY

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 01:12:10 AM »

I will pray for you, and I ask for you to pray for me also. I'm 17 years old and of course lust is also a major sin I keep experiencing. Personally, my advice is to always have some portable music with you and you cant go wrong with music during your time of tempt Wink

Bring Church music though, lots of modern music will only make the temptations worse.

Also, go to Church, pray, and Confess often.  If you do these things, temptations will go away.  I know for me, even though I am not in the Church officially yet, passions already aren't nearly as strong for me as when I was still strongly Catholic. 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 01:16:00 AM by drewmeister2 » Logged

Orthodoxia i Thanatos

IC    XC      ...and in ONE HOLY CATHOLIC
    +                   and APOSTOLIC CHURCH...
NI    KA

www.hotca.org | www.YouTube.com/GreekOrthodoxTV
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 08:43:06 AM »

Lord, have mercy!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 09:12:21 AM »

Lord have mercy!

All of us struggle with things like lust, and you are not alone. Listening to Liturgical music is a fine idea; so is prayer, alsmgiving, and struggling with a fasting regime. All these things help to reduce our passions, at least from my experience.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Kaminetz

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 09:55:35 PM »

If you have problems with such thoughts when you wake up in the morning (that's when your body chemistry is mostly predisposed to such feelings), try this...

Have a piece of prosphora (antidoron, blessed bread) and have a cup of holy water next to your bed. As soon as you open your eyes every morning, immediately eat a piece of blessed bread and drink a sip of Holy Water, make the sign of the cross.

I've tried it, this works well for me. All it takes is one prosphora divided into six pieces for the days of the week, each Sunday I get a new one after liturgy (Sunday mornings I don't eat the prosphora because with me, those thoughts are minimal if I know I'm about to go to liturgy). A good idea is to keep the prosphora in an airtight plastic bag, the prosphora formula we use in our church will keep the dough soft for an entire week if the bag is kept airtight.

The Holy Water I have is old (we're talking about 7 yrs), it actually has SOOT in it but the water itself tastes FRESH as ever. The cup, when I empty it, has particles in it! In essence, this way I am experiencing God's miracle every morning.

The reason I like this is because 1) Putting something edible/drinkable in my mouth is an easy action, it makes me move and do something, and at that stage in the morning I am hungry so edible substances are quite welcome, 2) I am aware that these are holy substances, and that in putting them into my body, I feel that I now have a special obligation to keep it pure just as I have an obligation to be on my best behavior after receiving communion, it is a physical reminder, 3) Experiencing the miracle of the ever fresh Holy Water, as mentioned earlier, is a tangible sign of God's good grace.

All this combined, plus God's grace of course, helps me and makes me more prayer minded right away, before I've even risen from my bed.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 10:07:00 PM by Kaminetz » Logged
Kaminetz

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2006, 12:52:46 PM »

P.S. Just a minor note, today I realized that keeping prosphoras in an airtight bag is a bad idea if the relative humidity is high! Last night I saw that I had quite a fungus collection on the prosphora that had turned up quickly as a result of the intense rain and heat we've had here. The closed up bag acted as a greenhouse you might say.

So dried up prosphora is probably the best bet Smiley

Oh yes, also forgot, God have mercy!
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2006, 03:08:41 PM »

People i need your prayers ive been struggling with lust for awhile and i keep falling into alot of evil things, i dont want God to abandon me i understand its a serious sin because i know its wrong and i still commit it, but it totally controls me im 19 years old so you can understand that my body is developing, i dont want to be a slave to sin. I'am always tempted into evil, having bad thoughts, looking at bad things and doing bad things.

i want to enjoy the gift of life but i dont want live a life of sinning
if use can pray for me so the Lord can forgive me and heal me, please

thank u  ÃƒÆ’‚ please pray
may the Lord have mercy on us all

The first step I would suggest to you is to ask you priest for a private session and discuss this habitual sin.  We all are sinners and we all are fighting this battle.  To some it comes easier to overcome than others.  God needs to be part of your repentance.  Remember you cant do this alone.  You will fail if you dont keep God foremost in your thoughts when temptations arise.  My best advice would be to have a sit down with a priest that you feel confident in.  Any personal advice here is just that.  What works for one may not work for another.

God bless you in your struggle.  You have made the first step in trying to overcome your passions.  Dont get too down on yourself.  But do seek help of a higher order.

JoeS 
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: