OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 11:56:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: prayers for wife and family  (Read 1170 times) Average Rating: 0
scooter

Holy Martyr Justin the Philosopher

« on: July 08, 2006, 12:50:47 PM »

I have talked about the challenges of pursing Orthodoxy with a family and spouse who were/are vehementy (to put it nice) opposed and were/are convinced that I am instead pursuing satanism.  Thanks to all of your prayers and intercessions and that of others, I have been upgraded from satanist to heretic!  I make light of a delicate situation, but it is about the only way I can survive.  Thank you and I ask that you continue to remember us.  And there is a new prayer request that I ask of.  There have been some marital issues that my wife and I have had to work through.  My wife has come from a home that is very domineering, controlling and at points crossing over into abuse.  I have had to work through learning how to have patience, mercy and love in this.  My father is a great man in the mold of George Washington who does much and says little.  An outsider would say my mother is the one who runs the show.  We do tend to model what we have seen.  As my wife has seen my father's approach in me and compared it to that of her father, it has created power struggles.  We have been to a counselor for a little over a year now.  I am happy to say that my wife and I have made positive breakthroughs on these power struggles.  My wife has rediscovered her love for God.  And in this is my prayer request.  She comes from a very Protestant and Southern Baptist background.  She is starting to get caught up in the Word-Faith movement, otherwise known as the "name it and claim it" or "prosperity gospel".  Joyce Meyer, Joel Osteen, etc.  She hasn't discovered this yet, but the Word-Faith movement denies the Cross.  Joyce Meyer has stated over the years she is now in-errent on her interpretation Scripture and that she no longer sins.  For those who know who she is (and for those who don't), she has a classic Texas accent with a wit and charm accompanied by a "tell it like it is" approach.  It is very appealing, to the tune of a $95 million dollar per year "ministry".  My wife is getting caught up in this.  I need prayers and intercessions for wisdom, mercy and love on how to approach this and how to guide my wife away from this dangerous teaching without crushing her newly found love for God. 
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 01:36:59 PM »

Lord have mercy with your family and your situation!

Because truth is not behind the 'prosperity gospel' message, eventually it will fizzle. Stay as close as you can to Orthodoxy, and when the temple your wife has built starts to crumble since its foundation rested on shifting sands, you will be able to help her through this. Then she will see the value of livinging in Truth, instead of what is convenient.

At least she is turning her heart towards God, which is how many of us converts started. From here great things can happen, as long as you remember yourslef to love even though you may be tempted to criticize your wife's understanding of the Gospel. Do not give in to that prideful temptation, and instead be prepared to be the rope leading her to Orthodoxy when she herself grasps that lifeline.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Sloga
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 01:41:25 PM »

I shall pray for you during this time of difficulty.

God bless you

Христе Боже, Распети и Свети!

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 05:26:05 PM »

Lord have mercy.

And may Christ be your helmsman through this storm.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
scooter

Holy Martyr Justin the Philosopher

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 08:55:07 PM »

Thank you all so much!
Psalti Boy
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 12:02:49 AM »

Lord Have Mercy.

I will pray for you & your family.
Dismus
Elder

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 02:48:53 AM »

Love your wife.
I will pray for your family.
Love your wife more and more.
And more.
calligraphqueen
Elder

Faith: GOA

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 11:22:54 PM »

I agree, love your wife like never before.  God may very well use a moment in time within this "religion" to show your wife His church.  I know it's hard to be a woman coming into Orthodoxy, like I am right now.  But it's harder to stay within that empty region of "christianity" as well, and it's so very empty.
Love her and be ready to catch her.
My prayers, from a former southern baptist with a domineering father as well...
Blessings,
Rebecca
Timos
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 12:33:47 AM »

I agree...if ya show her love for who she is no matter what she's caught up in, she'll eventually see that and come around. Easier said than done, but give it a chance.
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2006, 01:38:35 AM »

Lord, have mercy.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: