OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 09:16:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will mentioning Jesus get you rejected by a public college?  (Read 1821 times) Average Rating: 0
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« on: July 17, 2006, 10:27:03 PM »

In my application for admission to the Evergreen State College, I was asked to include a two-page personal statement on why I should be considered qualified for admission, and what I'd plan to do with an Evergreen degree. On the part where I explain why I find political activism important, this is what I wrote...

The Orthodox Church teaches that every human being is an icon of Christ. Therefore, to uphold the dignity of the individual is to serve the Most High God. Rather than popular trends and punditry, my inspiration to affect change stems from our calling to be the light of the world. When civil rulers confess with their lips but deny with their actions, it is the duty of true believers to stand up in the name of justice.

I hope that they wouldn't deny admission merely for being open on one's true reason for attending their school.

Peace.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 10:27:51 PM by Matthew777 » Logged

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
Sloga
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 10:43:12 PM »

Would they reject a women wearing a hijjab? no. would they reject a sikh wearing a turban? no. Rejecting someone for their faith in Christ would be hypocritical and I bet if you could prove that was the reason, you could file legal action. God Bless America.

Христе Боже, Распети и Свети!

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 10:48:06 PM »

I just figure that if you are to be politically involved, you might as well have an eternal foundation to your beliefs.

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Sloga
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 11:55:57 PM »

I might go into political science, I will definitly be trying to incorporate religion into it. People often tell me "Religion has no place within Law" --Religion is the most basic and ancient form of law, with it there would be no organized law today.

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic
Landon77
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (Antiochian Western Orthodox in exile)

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 05:01:05 PM »

No, they wont reject you for your faith.  Colleges/Universities like having diversity in their schools. 

"How stands your mighty god? My God is stronger than he."  -St. Boniface
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 06:55:17 PM »

No, they wont reject you for your faith.ÂÂ  Colleges/Universities like having diversity in their schools.ÂÂ  

Given how hypocritical 'the Left' has been recently toward Christians, I wouldn't be surprised if they discriminated against you on the grounds that you would be 'intolerant' or 'bigotted'.  Stupid, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Really, Matthew, your statement sounds provacative.  It's fine to state your beliefs, but be more subtle.  Your statement sounds like you plan to evangelize the campus, which would be a real turnoff to Admissions and given them cause to reject you.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 07:37:30 PM »

I guess you'd have to consider the quote in context. This is an explanation of why I'm dedicated to political activism. The foremost reason is my belief in Christ and His teachings.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
falafel333
Elder

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 07:47:57 PM »

Personally, I would be cautious of expressing my beliefs or of how I express it out of fear that myself or my beliefs may be misunderstood or misconstrued for something else, especially with all of the political correctness that is going on these days.

I think a tolerant attitude is especially praised today and such zealous expressions of one's faith can I suppose seem somewhat intimidating and contradictory to the tolerance and acceptance perhaps sought for in such a pluralistic environment as the university campus.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 07:50:16 PM »

It seems sometimes that when public colleges speak of "diversity," what they really mean is everything but Christianity.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Sloga
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 07:51:44 PM »

Personally, I would be cautious of expressing my beliefs or of how I express it out of fear that myself or my beliefs may be misunderstood or misconstrued for something else, especially with all of the political correctness that is going on these days.

That being said, I never just tell them I'm a proud follower of christ, orthodox christian etc unless they ask me. I think if you bring it up yourself, they'll think your a jehovah's witness trying to convert everyone.

falafel333
Elder

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2006, 08:08:57 PM »

That being said, I never just tell them I'm a proud follower of christ, orthodox christian etc unless they ask me.

I think timing is everything...and having the discernment, discretion and wisdom to be able to know the right time, the right person, the right place, the right way and the right words can go a long way...
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2006, 09:43:52 PM »

If you took out the mentions of Orthodoxy, and read only the rest of the essay, one could conclude that I am the same breed of leftist radical that Evergreen is looking for. As long as I follow the party line, does it really matter that my heart belongs to a Mediterranean Jewish carpenter?

This is the admission letter in its entirety:
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=79236452&blogID=145688148&MyToken=c39ec9e3-f100-4e84-8590-248b534dfb67

Peace.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 09:44:39 PM by Matthew777 » Logged

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2006, 03:20:30 AM »

Actually most colleges are open to Religous activities that show leadership, ability, and values as being valuable. I have seen far more openess in public colleges than I have seen in private colleges which often are under the guise of a Religous denomination.  One daughter of mine went to a Methodist college who challenged her that if any question they asked and graded as a mistake that if she could bring the Orthodox Church reference cite they would give her the answer as correct. The other daughter went to a local Baptist College, highly regarded in Texas but when she wrote from the Church Fathers or Orthodox writers she was graded down because they only wanted Baptist interpretations to their tests and classes.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2006, 02:38:38 PM »

I'll know their decision within a few weeks. I've been accepted to this college before, so I'm not too worried.

Peace.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2006, 03:29:30 PM »

If you took out the mentions of Orthodoxy, and read only the rest of the essay, one could conclude that I am the same breed of leftist radical that Evergreen is looking for. As long as I follow the party line, does it really matter that my heart belongs to a Mediterranean Jewish carpenter?

I read your admission letter and haven't laughed so hard in quite awhile and I'm sure the people on the receiving end might be doing the same. Just a word of advice, you should seriously try to be more professional in your approach and leave the flame throwing issues for debate class.

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2006, 05:03:39 PM »

This is a progressive, predominantly leftist college, that actively engages in community activism. They would be interested in knowing what my interests are to that end, and what experience I've had in activism. 

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: