OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 01:31:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Father David Belden of Toronto?  (Read 2347 times) Average Rating: 0
BasilCan

« on: July 11, 2006, 06:56:20 PM »

For any Torontonians, what ever happened to Father David Belden of the HOCNA English language St. Joseph of Arimathia Church in Toronto?  I attended that church a few times a few years ago.  They used to be the only all English church in town. Has he been transferred?

Basil
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 06:13:22 AM »

According to the HOCNA website he is still there.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
BasilCan

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 06:49:43 PM »

If you call and check their website, it says Fr. Sergius is now priest:
Ontario
Saint Joseph of Arimathea Orthodox Church
275 Wilson Heights Boulevard
North York, Ontario M3H 2V3
Phone: (416) 630-6525
Parish Priest Father Sergius Pellegrini
(services in English)
Dismus
Elder

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 09:35:18 PM »

All I know is websites are not always updated.

Sad

That is a problem.

I tried going somewhere once based on website info.

Angry
Never do that again...
Sean

Faith: Orthodox

OC.net

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 10:00:55 PM »

Fr. Sergius used to serve our parish in Utah. I think he's now the second priest at St. Joseph's along with Fr. David. It's either that or Fr. David started a new mission parish. I remember Vl. Sergios talking about it.

THE CRUX OF THE BISCUIT IS THE APOSTROPHE.
Timos
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 11:09:29 PM »

I've never heard of this parish although its close by my home. Would I be allowed to recieve communion at this parish or any parish affiliated with this hocna? Or would I be considered "less Orthodox"?...
CRCulver
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Finland and Romanian Orthodox Church

St Stephen of Perm, missionary to speakers of Komi

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 11:13:25 PM »

I've never heard of this parish although its close by my home. Would I be allowed to recieve communion at this parish or any parish affiliated with this hocna? Or would I be considered "less Orthodox"?...

If you are a member of a church in communion with Constantinople, and you take communion in a church outside, whether it be Old Calendar schismatics, Roman Catholics, or Lutherans, you excommunicate yourself. HOCNA is a very fringe group.
Timos
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 11:21:52 PM »

fringe...CR Culver could you please elaborate a little more. Are they "self-ordained"or have valid succession which is now cut-off?

Also, I thought most Old Calendarist parishes were ok to commune in...I can't remember which one: either the 'Genuine' people or the 'True' people...I'm not sure whether I'd rather be true or genuine- or both...hmm Smiley
CRCulver
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Finland and Romanian Orthodox Church

St Stephen of Perm, missionary to speakers of Komi

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 11:33:04 PM »

fringe...CR Culver could you please elaborate a little more. Are they "self-ordained"or have valid succession which is now cut-off?

They are a valid succession, but have been condemned by ROCOR who leave little doubt one can commune with them and stay in good standing with the mainstream churches. Furthermore, they are associated with Holy Transfiguration Monastery, site of some truly awful sex scandals I'm sure you've heard of. See the OrthodoxWiki and HOCNA.info.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 11:36:30 PM by CRCulver » Logged
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 12:32:58 AM »

My understanding is that THEY will not commune me.  As an Antiochian Orthodox Christian, I am outside their very confining limits as to what is the Church. As they are outside canonical "world Orthodoxy" I don't think my Archdiocese will commune them without  confession and re-establishing them along canonical orthodoxy..

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Timos
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2006, 12:51:01 AM »

Oh yes, I've heard of that monastery, their horrible reputation too. It's no secret. Actually, when I was in Boston's HC HC seinary/college few years back for their summer youth  Cross Road, we asked to go there (obviously not knowing that it was the same one), and of course the staff refused and told us it was not the best place to go...

I've actually read (online) that the 'geronda' in charge there, at one point was a disciple of another elder from Athos, but that the former stole precious goods and even relics from monasteries and churches in greece!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: