OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 10:26:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Struggle to Free the Ecumenical Patriarchate, Not Only Aghia Sophia  (Read 7989 times) Average Rating: 0
Psalti Boy
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« on: July 11, 2006, 02:10:48 AM »

Struggle to Free the Ecumenical Patriarchate, Not Only Aghia Sophia
Date: Monday, July 10 @ 22:06:20 EDT
Topic: Commentaries

Chicago.- By Andrew A. Athens

As an Archon of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America since 1974, Chairman of the Archdiocesan Council for more than 20 years, Founder and National Chairman of UHAC National and President of the World Council of Hellenes (SAE) for the past eleven years, I am writing in response to your recent article concerning an international campaign to “Free Aghia Sophia” that is being launched by Mr. Chris Spyrou. I agree with the statement made by Dr. Anthony J. Limberakis, National Commander of the Archons in a recent letter that “this campaign is misguided and lamentable.”

The political and more importantly, the human ramifications of this campaign are monumental. On the surface one may think that this is a noble cause and in some way, it is. We all want to “free” Aghia Sophia and restore its glory. The historical implications to the roots of Orthodoxy, the Mother Church of all churches, are great. No one will argue how important it would be Orthodoxy to have Aghia Sophia be once again a functioning Orthodox Church. In our hearts it is our Mother Church and always shall be. Yet, the reality is that the very survival of the Ecumenical Patriarchate, the See of Constantinople is at stake. Along with Aghia Sophia, the Ecumenical Patriarchate needs to be free.
The vast majority of people do not realize how the Turkish Government has laid siege to the Ecumenical Patriarchate, its land, its institutions and most notably to His All Holiness Patriarch Bartholomew. First of all, Turkey refuses to recognize the Patriarch as the Ecumenical Patriarch of Orthodoxy, the first among equals of the Orthodox jurisdictions in the world. Turkey demands that the Patriarch be a Turkish citizen. He also runs the serious risk that he will be denied entry back into Turkey, every time he travels to visit the faithful.

Our clergy have faced persecution from members of the Turkish State. They must wear suits and ties every time they leave the Patriarchate, even for a simple errand. Every three months, the clergy must leave Turkey and re-enter with a temporary visa. Entry can be denied at anytime. If this were the case for the Vatican in Rome, Italy, would not there be an outcry from Catholics around the world? Where are we the Orthodox in supporting the plight of the Ecumenical Patriarchate?

Secondly, the Turkish Government has confiscated properties of the Ecumenical Patriarchate. There are laws being made by local Turkish authorities just for that purpose. The historic theological seminary of Halki remains close. Thirdly, the Hellenic community, once a flourishing and thriving community, has been reduced to less than 3,000 people. Every day they live in fear. Their human and religious rights violated.

Their property and their livelihood are being threatened. As Dr. Limberakis writes, “the litany of aggressive persecutions is vast and ghastly.”

The campaign we as Orthodox Christians need to launch is to “free” our Ecumenical Patriarchate and our Patriarch from the tyranny that they are subjected to every day by the Turkish Government. The human rights violations committed against the Ecumenical Patriarchate and our Greek Orthodox citizens of Turkey are the “wrongs” Turkey has to right before gaining entry into the European Union. This does not mean that we forsake our Holy Mother Church of Aghia Sophia.

For more than 30 years, UHAC National, along with the Archons of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese and the National Coordinated Effort of Hellenes based in Washington, D.C., have joined together to “free” the Ecumenical Patriarchate, protect the human and religious rights of all Orthodox Christians in Turkey and restore the property and institutions to their rightul owners.

What can we do?

1. Write our local Congressman, the President of the United States, the Human Rights Commission of the European Union and the United National Human Rights Commission about the atrocities being committed against the Ecumenical Patriarchate, the Patriarch and the Hellenes living in Turkey.

2. Support UHAC National, the Coordinated Effort and the Order of Saint Andrew with donations, giving these organizations the means to take Legal actions and seek government intervention.

3. Spread the word. Many of us live in darkness when it comes to the plight of the Ecumenical Patriarchate. Let people know that joining together with existing efforts can make a difference. We need a united effort behind the existing groups, not another splinter group that will dilute our cause.

The Ecumenical Patriarchate in Constantinople was the first of the five great Sees of Orthodoxy. It is our sacred duty as Orthodox Christians to protect and preserve the first seat of Orthodoxy.

*** Andrew A. Athens
Maestor, Archon of the Ecumenical Patriarchate
National Chairman, UHAC National
President, World Council of Hellenes

« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 08:16:00 AM by SouthSerb99 » Logged
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 08:53:19 AM »

Thanks for finding and posting this well written piece. A good call to action.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 11:27:26 AM »

Maybe it is just the hypocritical nature of Islamic governments, but I find it ironic how a small religious minority can be so persecuted while hordes of tourists are allowed virtually free reign.  Anyone here been to Turkey and know what it is like for tourists there?  I've heard German is a good second language to speak in Turkey due to the large number of German tourists (and returning turkish ex-pats from Germany).
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 05:11:52 PM »

I was there last summer. Spent time in Istanbul and Kusadasi(Ephesus). Problems only arose when dealing with vendors trying to sell you bum merchandise. Then again, I'm not a woman. The men there are like wild dogs when it comes to dealing with western women. Besides that, I had a pretty decent time. People seemed to take an interest in my friend and I...some local kids showed us how to get to the Phanar once we were in the general area. Also, on the bus to Kusadasi, I met a young German/Turk who started up a conversation(thank God since he was the only other person who spoke english on the bus and I wasn't sure if I was heading in the right direction)...when the bus made periodic stops our conversation brought the attention of half of the bus's passengers as they all asked him where I was from and what we were discussing. Then I had to entertain about a dozen questions about American life in general. The bus driver ended up rubbing my head and calling me his American friend. ha.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 05:13:36 PM by Bogoliubtsy » Logged

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 07:52:35 PM »

It is our sacred duty as Orthodox Christians to protect and preserve the first seat of Orthodoxy.

Amen! It is not our duty as Orthodox Christians to hope for a "power vacuum" by wishing for the complete destruction of Constantinople so that some other Synod can become the "Third Rome".

Anyone here been to Turkey and know what it is like for tourists there?  I've heard German is a good second language to speak in Turkey due to the large number of German tourists (and returning turkish ex-pats from Germany).
In 2000, I crossed the border by bus from Northern Greece. The bus was stopped and strip searched for two hours while we stood in the burning sun, and all our passports were collected into a cardboard box by the Turkish Military. The only way you got your passport back was to pay an "administrative fee" (bribe). When they saw that I carried an Australian passport, they quickly handed mine back to me and offered me a bottle of water which I refused unless they gave the same to my fellow passengers- which they did.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 09:04:44 PM »

You're a better man than I, ozgeorge. Our cruise ship docked in "Izmir" - I refused to leave the ship's bar or step foot in "Turkey". Silly, I guess.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
CRCulver
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Finland and Romanian Orthodox Church

St Stephen of Perm, missionary to speakers of Komi

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 09:11:29 PM »

[quote author=Αριστοκλής link=topic=9493.msg127579#msg127579 date=1152666284]
You're a better man than I, ozgeorge. Our cruise ship docked in "Izmir" - I refused to leave the ship's bar or step foot in "Turkey". Silly, I guess.
[/quote]

Are you so nationalist that, even were the entire Turkish people to convert to the Christian faith, you would still be discontented and calling for a return of "stolen Greek lands" and hating the entire country?

As I mentioned in an earlier post: the sole problem with Turkey is that its population hasn't accepted the Gospel. It's ridiculous to hold the people living there today accountable for the settlement of their ancestors a thousand years ago.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 11:54:21 PM »

Are you so nationalist that, even were the entire Turkish people to convert to the Christian faith, you would still be discontented and calling for a return of "stolen Greek lands" and hating the entire country?

As I mentioned in an earlier post: the sole problem with Turkey is that its population hasn't accepted the Gospel. It's ridiculous to hold the people living there today accountable for the settlement of their ancestors a thousand years ago.

Outrageously presumptuous of you, actually. Perhaps I merely protest the seizure of my family lands in Trebizond (Trapezounta) and the never-paid-for confiscation of our ancestral (for centuries) home in Constantinople - much more mundane, selfish motivations than 'nationalism', protesting genocide (and its denial by the T's) and persecution of the Church. Frankly your insights are rather shallow, simplistic.

Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 12:25:28 AM »

[quote author=Αριστοκλής link=topic=9493.msg127590#msg127590 date=1152676461]
...protesting genocide (and its denial by the T's)...
[/quote]
This part especially really pisses me off...how the Turk's can be so audacious about this and be the world's biggest hypocrites.  Then again, I think this is particular to most Islamic countries.
CRCulver
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2006, 12:34:56 AM »

[quote author=Αριστοκλής link=topic=9493.msg127590#msg127590 date=1152676461]
Perhaps I merely protest the seizure of my family lands in Trebizond (Trapezounta) and the never-paid-for confiscation of our ancestral (for centuries) home in Constantinople - much more mundane, selfish motivations than 'nationalism', protesting genocide (and its denial by the T's) and persecution of the Church. Frankly your insights are rather shallow, simplistic.
[/quote]

And how is the average Turk alive today responsible for confiscating your lands?

And as I said, the persecution of the Church is a valid reason to be unhappy about Turkey. But blaming people for what their ancestors did is ridiculous.

Do you think that the U.S. government should pay reparations to descendents of slaves? The absurdity of that has already been demonstrated. Most the arguments hold also for the question of Greek possessions in Turkey.
Psalti Boy
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2006, 12:53:17 AM »

Do you think that the U.S. government should pay reparations to descendents of slaves? .

No!!  But I do think that the US Government should pay reparations to the Native American Indians.
nikolaos

Macedonia birthplace of Greek civilization

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2006, 01:03:43 AM »

And how is the average Turk alive today responsible for confiscating your lands?

And as I said, the persecution of the Church is a valid reason to be unhappy about Turkey. But blaming people for what their ancestors did is ridiculous.

Do you think that the U.S. government should pay reparations to descendants of slaves? The absurdity of that has already been demonstrated. Most the arguments hold also for the question of Greek possessions in Turkey.
Dear friend CRCulver the occupation of the northern part of the republic of Cyprus is not a history the continuous confiscations of the EP constitutions is not a history the continuous efforts to suicide his Holiness EP is not a history the denying of the genocide that committed against the Christian populations of minor Asia is not a history the illegal  confiscations of the propierties of the once flourishing Greek orthodox comunity in Constantinople is not a history the stabbed Roman Catholic Priest this Month is not a history  that their ancestors committed.TY Smiley
CRCulver
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2006, 01:47:20 AM »

Dear friend CRCulver the occupation of the northern part of the republic of Cyprus is not a history the continuous confiscations of the EP constitutions is not a history the continuous efforts to suicide his Holiness EP is not a history the denying of the genocide that committed against the Christian populations of minor Asia is not a history the illegal  confiscations of the propierties of the once flourishing Greek orthodox comunity in Constantinople is not a history the stabbed Roman Catholic Priest this Month is not a history  that their ancestors committed.TY Smiley

Yes, those are not history. Did you not notice the previous two times when I said the current persecution of the Church is a real problem?

However, the seizure of most Greek lands, which Aristokles said above is one of his reasons for despising Turkey, is already history.
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2006, 03:10:38 AM »

This is a minor point but Kusadasi (and we have family friends there - Turks who used to be Gastarbeiter in Germany) is not Ephesus. It's not terribly far from Ephesus but the actual Turkish town that corresponds to Ephesus (and where you'll find the museum housing Ephesian antiquities and the ruins of St. John's Basilica) is called Selcuk. I've been to Ephesus and visited St. John's basilica (so far as I know the only place asociated with an Apostle that I've ever been) and it was a wonderful experience. I strongly dislike the Turkish governement and can second the wish to free the EP, but I can't hold this against the average Turk, many of whom are very nice people. It would be a shame for people to allow their justifiable anger at the way Greeks and other Christians have been treated in Turkey to prevent them from visiting places important to our faith in that country. It would be rather like refusing to visit places in the Holy Land solely because of the history we have with the Arab muslims who make up the majority in (and rule) parts of it. That would be very sad.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2006, 08:58:21 AM »

However, the seizure of most Greek lands, which Aristokles said above is one of his reasons for despising Turkey, is already history.

How so very naive. The Church still owns vast holdings throughout Anatolia and most particularly in Constantinople (severely reduced in the 20th Century by the Turkish Republic - today's Turkey.) They are STILL engaged in confiscation of Christian property -TODAY. Islamic "extremists" are merely tools being used to complete the Islamification of the country.

To read "hatred" in my boycotting a visit to Smyrna is in your imagination solely.

I wonder if the Turks were still ruling Romania, in the same manner, if you would feel the same?

« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 09:00:33 AM by ΑριστÎÂà » Logged

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2006, 11:36:58 AM »

Roll Eyes
Why is it that everyone who affects being very opinionated on this issue obviously has no idea what they are talking about and say things which so easily destroy any credibility in their claims? Not only does Turkey continue to sieze Church property, the Turkish military is invading Greek airspace on an almost daily basis because Turkey does not recognise Greek airspace. I wonder how you'd feel about Iraqi or Iranian jet fighters flying over the US every day without permission to enter US airspace? I spent two weeks in Alexandroupolis last year, and the air-raid sirens sounded accross the city on nine of the 14 days I was there.
Have you ever travelled overseas? I've noticed that the people with the biggest opinions are the one's whose lives run in the smallest circles.

admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2006, 12:33:12 PM »

I wonder how you'd feel about Iraqi or Iranian jet fighters flying over the US every day without permission to enter US airspace?

They wouldn't make it that far because once they came close to breaching US airspace, they'd be warned and then shot down.

-Nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2006, 12:31:53 AM »

Why is it that everyone who affects being very opinionated on this issue obviously has no idea what they are talking about and say things which so easily destroy any credibility in their claims?

You and Demetri have both expressed this sentiment in this thread - that anyone who disagrees with your conclusions based on the same data is obviously uninformed.  What I haven't seen is anyone attempt to refute the essential point brought up - is the average Turkish citizen to be held responsible for the crimes of his government?

Also, I assume that you are donating your land to Aborigenes and moving back to Greece (if you aren't I'd be very interested to know why not).   

Have you ever travelled overseas? I've noticed that the people with the biggest opinions are the one's whose lives run in the smallest circles.

Before insulting others, you may consider checking their profiles for basic information first.  According to his profile CRCulver has spent considerable amounts of time outside of the United States. 

Eitherway I think we can all pray that the day will soon come when Orthodox Christianity may be freely practiced in Turkey. 
nikolaos

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2006, 01:01:19 AM »

[quote author=Νεκτάριος link=topic=9493.msg127686#msg127686 date=1152765113]
Also, I assume that you are donating your land to Aborigenes and moving back to Greece (if you aren't I'd be very interested to know why not).  ÃƒÆ’‚Â

[/quote]
Dear friend  Νεκτάριος as far as i know the current and previous Australian and US governments have expressed their sympathy to their natives andÂÂ  acknowledgeÂÂ  the mistakes that they commited in their past.But when we come to turkey this is not the caseÂÂ  Undecided
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 01:02:12 AM by nikolaos » Logged
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2006, 01:14:18 AM »

Dear friend  Νεκτάριος as far as i know the current and previous Australian and US governments have expressed their sympathy to their natives and  acknowledge  the mistakes that they commited in their past.But when we come to turkey this is not the case

Even though my government has expressed sympathy for its sins committed, little has been done to give back land to the American Indians.  So I'm not sure it is that much better to say, "Sorry we stole from you and killed many of your ancesters, but we're keeping the land anyway" opposed to the Turkish complete denial of genocide.  But otherwise I do agree with you, the modern Turkish government has some serious problems.  I'm not convinced that is the fault of the average Turk, though.   
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2006, 01:18:53 AM »

Until fairly recently it was illegal for Kurds to speak their native language in Turkey...just so us Christians don't feel so singled out.  Wink

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Timos
High Elder

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2006, 01:21:51 AM »

Nektarios, I don't think Orthodox Christianity could ever truly be practised freely in "Turkey" because orthodoxy is very strongly attached to Hellenism or Armenian/Syriac culture over there. To become orthodox, in effect, for them, would be to become hellenic/armenian etc and deny their own "history"--which I'm still trying to figure out what exactly that it. Hmm, so these people move in around the 15th century, claim other people's land, culture, and history, and try so hard to be rid of the original people--just like North Americans, only maybe 150-200 years older...

Asia Minor as Greek land is not history. A small booklet I have about Asia Minor history estimates that there were 700,000 Greek Orthodox in Cappadocia alone, AFTER the population exchanges in the 20th century.  My grandpa was only a little boy when this happened. Although he was not directly involved in THIS act of terroristic genocide, he was still living--it wasn't like 900 years ago. My grandparents have lived there however as well as Alexandria, and in both instances, they've experienced some sort of persecution.
jmbejdl
OC.net guru

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2006, 02:16:25 AM »

[quote author=Αριστοκλής link=topic=9493.msg127611#msg127611 date=1152709101]
To read "hatred" in my boycotting a visit to Smyrna is in your imagination solely.

I wonder if the Turks were still ruling Romania, in the same manner, if you would feel the same?
[/quote]

I never mentioned hatred. I think you're confusing me with someone else. All I said was that it would be a shame to refuse to visit paces of pilgrimage based solely on a justifiable anger with those who rule the area. My attitude on this would still be the same if Romania was currently a suzerain state of Turkey (they were never ruled directly as Asia Minor is, though, so the situations are not directly comparable). I agree totally with everyone who opposes Turkey here and have never suggested otherwise. I just make a distinction between the political entity and the people who live within its borders.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2006, 04:34:00 AM »

I never mentioned hatred. I think you're confusing me with someone else. All I said was that it would be a shame to refuse to visit paces of pilgrimage based solely on a justifiable anger with those who rule the area. My attitude on this would still be the same if Romania was currently a suzerain state of Turkey (they were never ruled directly as Asia Minor is, though, so the situations are not directly comparable). I agree totally with everyone who opposes Turkey here and have never suggested otherwise. I just make a distinction between the political entity and the people who live within its borders.

James

Wasn't addressing you; you're not the only Romanian in this thread. Sorry
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 04:38:10 AM by ΑριστÎÂà » Logged

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2006, 04:35:37 AM »

Before insulting others, you may consider checking their profiles for basic information first.  According to his profile CRCulver has spent considerable amounts of time outside of the United States. 

[/quote]

According to his profile, you are assuming his got off the ship or was even on one to start with.  Wink He, like others, is not old enough to have spent considerable time anywhere.
As far as 'the' essential point - I never addressed the issue in the first place. I don't know any "average" Turkic Turkish people - only ones I like and those I don't. How many do you know?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 04:42:13 AM by ΑριστÎÂà » Logged

jmbejdl
OC.net guru

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2006, 04:51:36 AM »

[quote author=Αριστοκλής link=topic=9493.msg127703#msg127703 date=1152779640]
Wasn't addressing you; you're not the only Romanian in this thread. Sorry
[/quote]

I'm not? I didn't think that there were any other Romanian Orthodox commenting on this thread and so put two and two together and thought your comments were aimed at my post. If my two and two made three then I apologise. Who else in this thread is Romanian Orthodox? Most of those commenting appear to be Greek.

James

CRCulver
OC.net guru

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2006, 07:11:03 AM »

I'm not? I didn't think that there were any other Romanian Orthodox commenting on this thread and so put two and two together and thought your comments were aimed at my post. If my two and two made three then I apologise. Who else in this thread is Romanian Orthodox? Most of those commenting appear to be Greek.

He's referring to me. I live most of the year in Cluj.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2006, 07:52:49 AM »

Also, I assume that you are donating your land to Aborigenes and moving back to Greece (if you aren't I'd be very interested to know why not).  [/quote]

Big mistake nektarios! Firstly, you misspelled "Aborigine", and secondly, I have in fact handed privately owned land back to the Aboriginal People of the Blue Mountains after it was discovered that a large rockface on one of my properties had ancient aboriginal markings on it. Cheesy

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2006, 09:18:20 AM »

I have in fact handed privately owned land back to the Aboriginal People of the Blue Mountains after it was discovered that a large rockface on one of my properties had ancient aboriginal markings on it

But you haven't handed it all back.ÂÂ  You still live on their land.ÂÂ  You shouldn't expect anything more out of the Turkish government.ÂÂ  

Why are you and Demetri allowed to partake in population movements yet others aren't? 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 09:25:03 AM by ΝεκτάρÃÅ » Logged
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2006, 09:25:07 AM »

[quote author=Νεκτάριος link=topic=9493.msg127724#msg127724 date=1152796700]
But you haven't handed it all back.  You still live on their land.  [/quote]
Lame... very lame......

[quote author=Νεκτάριος link=topic=9493.msg127724#msg127724 date=1152796700]You shouldn't expect anything more out of the Turkish government. 
[/quote]
"Anything more" on top of what? A bottle of water after making me stand in the sun for two hours?

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2006, 09:39:59 AM »

"Anything more" on top of what? A bottle of water after making me stand in the sun for two hours?
.......in expectation of a bribe?

....Oh, it is to laugh!.....
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 09:41:31 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2006, 09:51:42 AM »

[quote author=Νεκτάριος link=topic=9493.msg127724#msg127724 date=1152796700]
Why are you and Demetri allowed to partake in population movements yet others aren't? 
[/quote]

By "population movements", do you mean like the "population exchange" where my grandparents were expelled from Pontos by the Turks after their property was siezed? Well I guess I am allowed to take part in such "population movements" by virtue of the fact that I am Greek, and part of the Chosen People whom God tests like gold in the fire.

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2006, 09:58:03 AM »

Yours too, ozgeorge?

Our ancestral church outside Trapezounta is now a squalid fuel depot, defaced.

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2006, 10:15:52 AM »

Blessed be our God! That explains the Panagia Soumela in your avatar!

My grandparents were from Smyrna and they fled to Limnos where my Mother was born. My mother's elder brother and sister were born in Smyrna, and my aunt is still alive. On her iconostasis she has a photograph taken by someone on the boat they were fleeing in which shows Smyrna completely engulfed in flames.

Courage.....Gold in the fire!

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2006, 10:39:52 AM »

By "population movements", do you mean like the "population exchange" where my grandparents were expelled from Pontos by the Turks after their property was siezed?

I'm pointing out that some people here seem to be arguing against the whole idea of demographic changes and that populations can and do move.  They happen.  I'm merely pointing out that you have taken part in such moves and shifts yourself.  I.e if you, Demetri, Timos and whoever else wish to condemn the move of Turkic people into Asia Minor, you also ought to condemn the move of Europeans into Australia and North America.   ÃƒÆ’‚Â

And not surprisingly whenever the population exchange is mentioned, nobody seems to remember that many Muslims were expelled from Greece, loosing their property and ancestral places of worship.  Neither is it mentioned about the Slavs who lost property, churches and life as a result of the Balkan Wars (some of whose ancestors had possed that land for at least a thousand years).  In your tirades about Turks, simply remember that he who is without sin ought to cast the first stone. ÂÂ

As for your border experience, I've also heard of very similar events from those crossing from the Republic of Macedonia into Greece.  Ultimately what is a shame is that human beings won't treat eachother as humans and instead themselves act worse than animals.  That is why I pray for the eventual freedom of movement and religion in Turkey; blaming the typical Turkish citizen for the crimes of his government isn't going to achieve that any more quickly.   ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚Â
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2006, 10:55:03 AM »

[quote author=Νεκτάριος link=topic=9493.msg127734#msg127734 date=1152801592]
And not surprisingly whenever the population exchange is mentioned, nobody seems to remember that many Muslims were expelled from Greece, loosing their property and ancestral places of worship. [/quote]
That could be because it didn't happen. "Population Exchange" is a Turkish term for the event, but infact, there was no "exchange". I know you've been to Greece, because I visited Prodromos last year and he told me you had also visited him- did you notice how there are hardly any modern buildings in Greece older than a eighty years old? Do you know why? It was because in 1922 after the "Population Exchange" the population of Greece more than doubled literally overnight, and houses and apartment buildings had to be quickly torn down and rebuilt in a way to accomodate more than twice the population. The population of a country does not double if they expell people. Could you please provide evidence for your claim that Greece expelled anyone in the "Population Exchange"?

TomS
Banned
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2006, 10:56:56 AM »

C'mon guys. Just admit that Nektarios is right about this. This is what happens when one people/culture takes over another's territory. It's part of the ebb and flow of humankind throughout history.

The EP needs to get out of Turkey. Course, he does not want to leave because then he could not hide behind this veil of persecution. Similar to what the Arab states do by using the "plight" of the Palestinians to shield their corruption.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 11:01:26 AM by TomS » Logged
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2006, 11:01:27 AM »

[quote author=Νεκτάριος link=topic=9493.msg127734#msg127734 date=1152801592]
As for your border experience, I've also heard of very similar events from those crossing from the Republic of Macedonia into Greece.  [/quote]
"I've heard"....well there's credible evidence.......
The most "interesting" and "colourful" posters all seem to begin their posts with "I've heard". The one's I really love are those that begin with "I've read somewhere", but somehow they just can't find where it was that they "read" it so that one can read it for themselves.....

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2006, 11:02:18 AM »

The EP needs to get out of Turkey.
....because.....?

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2006, 11:08:17 AM »

Many of the citizens I encountered in the city were Helleno-philes, which was refreshing.  There are many, though, who support the government's targeting of the Rum, and a smaller number who throw grenades and protest.  To some degree, the citizenry of a nation is responsible for the actions of their government, especially in a secularist nation like Turkey.  They all know that the Armenians, Rum, and Kurds get raw treatment; as long as it isn't happening to them, they're okay with it.

What angers me in all this is that Turkey is doing this to its own citizens; these Greek-speaking peoples are born in Turkey, and have been born in Turkey for centuries.  Part of the resentment on the part of the government is the fact that these people refuse to intermarry and intermingle with the Turkic peoples; but all of them speak Turkish, pay their taxes, support the local economies, etc.  So what we see in Turkey is state-sponsored persecution of its own citizens, which is more like what was happening in the South in the early 20th-century than what existed pre-Civil War (when it was debatable whether slaves were even citizens).

The confiscation of property is still a real issue.  Most of  the Roman families there cannot leave their homes for extended periods of time, nor can any of the Churches have a single Sunday without Liturgy.  If either of these conditions happens, the property will be taken and immediately redistributed.  With over 10 million people in the city (I've heard so many versions of the number I won't give anything more exact) the government takes every opportunity to house more of its citizens in less space.

The Rum in Turkey do as much as they can to live the Gospel without getting killed; one could argue that they should be willing to openly preach the gospel and receive the martyrdom that will follow.  But they're doing what they can.

What's funny is that I didn't meet a single "nationalist" there - no one proclaiming the "Great Idea" or supporting the overthrow of the government.  Instead, all the people want is the government to treat them with the dignity befitting citizens, and to allow them to practice their faith unfettered.

Really, the families that have survived in Constantinople are quite a bunch; they are Turkish citizens, but not blood; they speak Greek, but don't support nationalist Greece; they are first and foremost Romans - Orthodox peoples leftover from the Empire, who worship their Lord and speak their language (and Turkish... you know, to survive).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2006, 11:10:51 AM »

C'mon guys. Just admit that Nektarios is right about this. This is what happens when one people/culture takes over another's territory. It's part of the ebb and flow of humankind throughout history.

The EP needs to get out of Turkey. Course, he does not want to leave because then he could not hide behind this veil of persecution. Similar to what the Arab states do by using the "plight" of the Palestinians to shield their corruption.

It is right that part of the issue is natural in the ebb-and-flow of territory changes.  What is a shame is that the Roman peoples there do what they can to be good citizens, and the government kicks them around anyway.

Hide behind the veil of persecution?  He is the Archbishop of Constantinople first and foremost, and as long as there are Orthodox people in his jurisdiction, he needs to be there; the Shepherd does not abandon his flock, especially when they're living among the wolves.

As for your assertion of corruption: put up or shut up.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2006, 11:57:37 AM »

"I've heard"....well there's credible evidence.......
The most "interesting" and "colourful" posters all seem to begin their posts with "I've heard". The one's I really love are those that begin with "I've read somewhere", but somehow they just can't find where it was that they "read" it so that one can read it for themselves.....

I never offered the troubles on the Macedonian/Greek border as dogmaticly true; in fact I added the caveat that it was second hand knowledge.  But, you are just a random person on the internet - so your alledged first hand experiences are no more credible than the experiences that I have heard from people I do trust. 

Could you please provide evidence for your claim that Greece expelled anyone in the "Population Exchange"?

The book Population Dilemmas in the Middle East has good data on the population exchange.  Note that I did not say that the numbers exchanged were equal, only that some Muslims in Greece suffered the same fate as (Greek Orthodox) Christians in Asia Minor.

Another factor to keep in mind is that Greece launched a war into Asia Minor and LOST.  One wonders if Megali Idea style nationalism hadn't been a threat to Turkey if they would have treeted the Greeks more humanely.  Eitherway, it is far too complex of a matter for a simplistic Greeks = good and innocent victims and Turks = evil barbarians - that is the worldview that I challange here.

Instead, all the people want is the government to treat them with the dignity befitting citizens, and to allow them to practice their faith unfettered.

Rights that they deserve as human beings and God-willing they will someday recieve.  I guess I don't see how holding average Turks responsible is going to solve that.  I think the best shot at this happening is supporting these elements in the Turkish government that do want to secularize/westernize and hope that EU demands better human rights conditions before going further with Turkey. 

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2006, 12:17:51 PM »

"I am, and shall ever be, a Roman".

Your book, Νεκταριος, is wrong. Perhaps you should have gone another 75 miles to the NE when you visited Mt Athos and seen the existing Moslem Turkish villages and towns in Greece today. No one bothers them; they appear almost exactly like the Greek ones down the road. Their ancestors where not forced to convert to Christianity in order to stay and keep their property nor were/are they persecuted.
And no one but you is arguing about population movements - it's not about migrations , but about what the new rulers do or condone that is the issue.
If you want to argue a case about your Arizona Apaches, Hopi, Michegans (real Mexican Indians) or whatever, be my guest. Sure the Spanish and Portuguese came in like Turks.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 12:35:56 PM by ΑριστÎÂà » Logged

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2006, 02:26:43 PM »

[quote author=Νεκτάριος link=topic=9493.msg127749#msg127749 date=1152806257]
Rights that they deserve as human beings and God-willing they will someday recieve.  I guess I don't see how holding average Turks responsible is going to solve that.  I think the best shot at this happening is supporting these elements in the Turkish government that do want to secularize/westernize and hope that EU demands better human rights conditions before going further with Turkey.   [/quote]

The funny thing is that these actions against the Greeks, Armenians, and Kurds have been done by the "westernized" and "secularized" government that Attaturk dreamed of.  This secularized government, run by the military, also happens to be quite racist; at least the Ottomans classed us by religion.  I do support the EU demanding strict adherence to international human rights standards, but I have a feeling that those who support Turkey's entry into the EU are also willing to soften their stance on how far Turkey has to go... Turkey still doesn't recognize Cyprus, and still takes a belligerent stand towards Greece, yet many EU members want the courtship to continue.

---------------------
Timos
High Elder

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2006, 02:55:53 PM »

Nekatrios, it's obvious that you're not too keen on solidarity.

I'm sure that if some Korean tribe comes into Poland, takes away like hlaf of it ,expelling it's people, starving and genociding them, you're answer would be different than it is right now towards Asia Minor.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2006, 03:32:28 PM »

The funny thing is that these actions against the Greeks, Armenians, and Kurds have been done by the "westernized" and "secularized" government that Attaturk dreamed of.  This secularized government, run by the military, also happens to be quite racist; at least the Ottomans classed us by religion.

Secularized only in the Hitler, Stalin, et al. sense of the word.  I was going towards a more specific America/Canadian/EU type of secularization where religious and ethnic minorities have a great deal of freedom.  Such a transformation isn't impossible, look at the difference between modern Germany of Hitler's Germany.  For now that is, I think, the best hope for Orthodox (and others) in Turkey.  Another megali idea taking political control of Turkey doesn't seem likely. 

Your book, Νεκταριος, is wrong.

I think you'll find that most scholarly accounts of the population exchange do document that many Muslims were expelled from Greece.  The presence of intact communities in Thrace doesn't mean that some Muslims weren't expelled.  Again I'm not stating that the two were equal in nature, only that it wasn't as black and white as some wish to describe it here.

I'm sure that if some Korean tribe comes into Poland, takes away like hlaf of it ,expelling it's people, starving and genociding them, you're answer would be different than it is right now towards Asia Minor.

I do get very tired of being in a church that extols and even venerates the Tsarist regime that certainly wasn't all too kind to Poland.  But I've also come to realize that the average Russian is hardly responsible for what the Soviet Army did to Poland, nor is today's German responsible for what the Nazis did to Poles either.  I really am surprised at how much pent up anger and lack of forgiveness exists under the aegis of "Orthodoxy."  I do sometimes wonder what the point of the Orthodox Church is if such basic concepts of Christianity as love and forgiveness are ignored.  Really what moral benefit is derived from being Orthodox if my nominally Roman Catholic family has forgiven those who murdered family and friends, tortured, pillaged etc. their homeland?
Sloga
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2006, 04:02:28 PM »

Really what moral benefit is derived from being Orthodox if my nominally Roman Catholic family has forgiven those who murdered family and friends, tortured, pillaged etc. their homeland?

A loss is a loss and should be remembered and forgiven. But, there are things which differ from that example. Should/could a mother of a child forgive it's murderer during the actual process of the murder? Surely many people do not have the ability to forgive someone for doing such a horrific act alltogether, now imaging asking them to forgive the killer WHILE he is doing it. My point is, Orthodox land, such as the eastern balkans, and Hellenic lands are constantly being battered and assaulted. I mean, sorry to stray from the topic a little but look at the whole serbian nationality! it is soully based on suffering and losses. The national holiday for heavens sake is a complete crushing by the ottoman army!

Then, just when you build up the strength and faith to forgive and maybe even forget, BAM it happens to again. Eventually you lose the will to reconcile, because you are either paranoid it will happen again or you know it will. I have read about what happened in Poland, but imagine if it just kept happening and happening, you almost get used to it. To lead a successful country, you need to forget about morals and pray for forgiveness because we all sin anyways, but some almsot have no choice.

Христе Боже, Распети и Свети!

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2006, 05:41:16 PM »

[quote author=Νεκτάριος link=topic=9493.msg127782#msg127782 date=1152819148]
 I really am surprised at how much pent up anger and lack of forgiveness exists under the aegis of "Orthodoxy."  [/quote]
Woah.....Stop right there.
Please tell us when you received this charism to see into people's hearts and judge them? Or perhaps it was cleveland relating his experiences of helenophiles in Constantinople, or my experiences of a situation of ill treatment at the hands of Turkish military which I laugh at, or perhaps the experience of Αριστοκλής who laughed at himself and called himself "silly" for refusing to step off the boat onto Turkish soil which gives you the impression that we are an angry, unforgiving mob.......
Note the word in bold....everyone else is speaking from it- you are speaking from theories in your head.

Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2006, 06:09:43 PM »

Woah.....Stop right there.
Please tell us when you received this charism to see into people's hearts and judge them?
Same goes to you for an earlier post of mine...it's a two way street.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2006, 06:39:39 PM »

Same goes to you for an earlier post of mine...it's a two way street.
Oh, you mean that time I told you off for publically passing judgement on the suffering Church of Christ and calling it to "repentance" for it's "failures"?
Yeah, sorry about that.......

Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2006, 07:40:09 PM »

Oh, you mean that time I told you off for publically passing judgement on the suffering Church of Christ and calling it to "repentance" for it's "failures"?
Yeah, sorry about that.......
Others have done the same with Moscow...no one is above criticism save Christ.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2006, 08:05:48 PM »

[quote author=Νεκτάριος link=topic=9493.msg127782#msg127782 date=1152819148]
ÂÂ  

I think you'll find that most scholarly accounts of the population exchange do document that many Muslims were expelled from Greece.ÂÂ  The presence of intact communities in Thrace doesn't mean that some Muslims weren't expelled.ÂÂ  Again I'm not stating that the two were equal in nature, only that it wasn't as black and white as some wish to describe it here.

[/quote]

Define "most"...and give an author & publisher on the book you did quote. If you want to be a scholar...
YOU are the one forcing extremes

Timos
High Elder

« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2006, 01:04:03 AM »

One of the big problems here is that military actions on the part of any orthodox nations is seen as a terrorist threat to Europe, the Balkans, the Middle East. Whenever it's western powers (including Isreal) firing off their guns and bombs, for some reason, they can't be touched and their venerable aspirations are respected. It's either "those horrible Serbian Balkan buchers" or those crazy fanatical Greeks who are upset that like half their land was "settled by their Turkish neighbours" (-more like stolen by Mongolian invaders).

The other problem I think, is that orthodoxy is probably much less known than something such as Hinduism or Bhuddism which attracts many people. Thus, orthodoxy's leaders are treated as symbolic relics of the past (even though most orthodox people probably do respect and look up to them) and treated with respect only if they go along with the western powers' role of pupetteer and not step on their toes.

Back to the original point, if we're not allowed to protect ourselves physically like we've been doing for centuries (ie. Constantinople's walls, monasteries' high protective walls and gates, orthodox emperors, kings, armies, etc...) then the chances of our growth and or survival drastically decrease.

I wonder how different the situatiom would be if CNN actually showed the truth about Kosovo...instead of ONLY airing 'Srebrenica' couple months a year and if documentaries existed on the extermination of Armenians and Greeks from Asia Minor rather than ONLY airing 'Holocaust' on the history chanelle.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2006, 01:32:09 AM »

[quote author=Αριστοκλής link=topic=9493.msg127804#msg127804 date=1152835548]
Define "most"...and give an author & publisher on the book you did quote. If you want to be a scholar...
YOU are the one forcing extremes
[/quote]

I don't see a whole lot of people being that scholarly.  Just because it is hearsay doesn't mean it's false.  We're not in court.
nikolaos

« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2006, 01:36:19 AM »

The population exchanges between Greece and Turkey took place between 1923-1924 under the conditions of lozan treaty (a defeat treaty from Greece which its conditions where imposed by kemal Ataturk )according to this treaty the two states agree to exchange their population at the base of their religious faith.According to that treaty Turkey had to protect the Greek orthodox population in Constantinople and in two small islands in the enter of Dardanelles (Imvros and Tenedos ) for this two small islands especially the treaty was stipulate a special regime of self-governance with local athorities and even local police force.EP and its institutions were also protecting under the conditions of the treaty. Turkey from the very begining violate almost all the conditions of the treaty.On the the other had Greece took the responsibility to Protect the muslim minorities of western thrace ( i use the term of the treaty since the muslims of western thrace do not have the same national origin ,a vast number of them for instance are gipses).The number of the Cristians in turkey  were triple  or more of those muslims in thace.
Today the Cristian minority in turkey has almost vanished when the muslim population in Greece has doubled the Greek muslims are probably the richest muslims in the word they have delegates in the Greek palrement and in general they have all the rights that a citizen must have in a secular Democratic western state.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2006, 10:10:01 AM »

I don't see a whole lot of people being that scholarly.  Just because it is hearsay doesn't mean it's false.  We're not in court.

In which case I myself can merely say "I've heard..." and that's acceptable?

psalm91

« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2006, 07:37:39 AM »

I was watching a documentary on constantinopoli the city constantine the great built for Christ because Christ told him to? please correct if I'm wrong or maybe explain in greater detail.

also i heard supernatural events started taking place in Agia sofia and they were forced to stop it being a mosque is this true ?
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2006, 07:40:57 AM »

I was watching a documentary on constantinopoli the city constantine the great built for Christ because Christ told him to? please correct if I'm wrong or maybe explain in greater detail. 

I'm not sure about this one.  I believe it is in the story-telling of the foundation of the city, that Christ communicated with St. Constantine about the building of the city, but in reality I wouldn't consider it the most important of points to be expending my energy on (researching it, that is).

also i heard supernatural events started taking place in Agia sofia and they were forced to stop it being a mosque is this true ?

I haven't heard the stories of "supernatural" events stopping Agia Sophia's use as a mosque; I believe the transformation of the Great Church from Mosque to Museum was really a product of the drive to end the dominance of Islam in Turkey by the "young Turks" (the military-backed Ataturk and his followers).
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 07:42:42 AM by cleveland » Logged

---------------------
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2006, 08:13:36 AM »

I haven't heard the stories of "supernatural" events stopping Agia Sophia's use as a mosque; I believe the transformation of the Great Church from Mosque to Museum was really a product of the drive to end the dominance of Islam in Turkey by the "young Turks" (the military-backed Ataturk and his followers).

They failed. The persecution of the Church has had the exact opposite effect as far as Islam in Turkey goes.

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2006, 03:21:16 PM »

[quote author=Αριστοκλής link=topic=9493.msg129592#msg129592 date=1154088816]
They failed. The persecution of the Church has had the exact opposite effect as far as Islam in Turkey goes.
[/quote]

Well, I would say that Islam is less powerful now in Turkey than it was under the Sultan.  The state has done what it could to end the dominance of Islam on the political scene (which is why you have the religious extremists who are trying to undermine the progress of the secularist government); but, of course, socially the radical Islamists are gaining sway.

---------------------
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2006, 03:28:51 PM »

I was watching a "documentary" about Istanbul and the general area and they were talking about how the muslims built all these beautiful mosques in the city - and as they said this statement they showed a shot of Hagia Sophia!ÂÂ  Shocked
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 07:30:16 PM by TomS » Logged
CRCulver
OC.net guru

« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2006, 03:41:32 PM »

I was watching a "documentary" about Istanbul and the general area and they were talking about how the muslims built all these beautiful mosques in the city - and as they said this statement they showed a shot a Hagia Sophia!  Shocked

The did put the minarets up, and they did significantly gut the original structure and adapt it to their needs, so saying that the Muslim's "built" Hagia Sophia as it is now is not necessarily untruthful.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2006, 04:06:06 PM »

The did put the minarets up, and they did significantly gut the original structure and adapt it to their needs, so saying that the Muslim's "built" Hagia Sophia as it is now is not necessarily untruthful.

Yes, they erected those monstrosities. But as to how much gutting they did, I wonder. It took me about three minutes with Adobe PhotoShop to erase the few muslim shields hung from the upper walls from some photos. Removal of altar, sure. And what else?

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2006, 04:08:30 PM »

I don't know how much structure "gutting" they could have done; all they took down was the icon screen and the altar (besides chiseling off the crosses and plastering icons).  Otherwise, the inside was very open and unobstructed to begin with.  Now, they added lighting, the Sultan's box, their own pulpit, and their Arabic script.  They've also added supports to keep the building from tumbling down.  But all this work still doesn't justify a claim of having "built" Agia Sophia, whether the claim is explicit or implicit in the use of the photo during that segment.

---------------------
Timos
High Elder

« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2006, 12:30:26 AM »

About Agia Sophia, I know some people on here think that trying/wanting to get it back is stupid, useless, etc but I don't care and I'm gonna say it anyway...what would it take from orthodox ppl (who care) to get it back? I know there was someone trying to collect signatures to present it to the EU to make it a stipulation for Turkey to give Agia Sophia back before they can join the E- this and the recognition of their Greco-Armenian/Kurd genocide.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2006, 12:37:00 AM »

I don't know if the people that "think that trying/wanting to get it back is stupid, useless, etc" really think that trying to get Agia Sophia back is a bad idea; I bet you that most of the objection is that many people are willing to expend more energy and enthusiasm on this topic than on more pertinent ones - like turning one's life around, almsgiving, helping the poor in our local communities, mission, right Christian praxis in the household, etc.

All the above is speculation - I personally would like to see the restoration of the Great Church; but before that can/should happen, I think we need to make ourselves the Royal Priesthood and Holy Nation that God wants us to be.

---------------------
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2006, 12:49:52 AM »

I don't know if the people that "think that trying/wanting to get it back is stupid, useless, etc" really think that trying to get Agia Sophia back is a bad idea; I bet you that most of the objection is that many people are willing to expend more energy and enthusiasm on this topic than on more pertinent ones - like turning one's life around, almsgiving, helping the poor in our local communities, mission, right Christian praxis in the household, etc.

All the above is speculation - I personally would like to see the restoration of the Great Church; but before that can/should happen, I think we need to make ourselves the Royal Priesthood and Holy Nation that God wants us to be.

Well put.
Rather than taking back Agia Sophia ourselves for reasons of "honour", it would be better if Christ gave Agia Sophia back to us because He thought we actually needed it to continue His work and mission in the world.

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2006, 12:55:12 AM »

Well, I think that the only way to actually get Hagia Sophia back is to liberate/conquer the city. If someone has a viable plan to accomplish that I'm all ears, but I seriously doubt that anyone here has any ideas about how to practically achieve that, for all my studies in military history, tactics, strategy, and the operational art, I have no idea of how to pull that off. Thus, the problem with discussion on the matter is, generally speaking, it's nothing more than fantasy.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2006, 01:03:47 AM »

Well, I think that the only way to actually get Hagia Sophia back is to liberate/conquer the city.
Now, why doesn't that surprise me? Wink

This is the way of the world- but does that make it the Way into which we were called?
"What's one more war?"- so the world says....
"What's one more life destroyed?"- so Pontius Pilate said....

Personally, if one human being is killed order that Agia Sophia should be ours, I would consider it desecrated and on par with an unholy pagan site where human sacrifices were offered; and I would never set foot in it.

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2006, 01:25:16 AM »

I respect such a noble sentiment, I genuinely do. But much blood has been spilt for that city by many people with many interests. By the blood of the Imperial Soldiers and their enemies the city was defended for a thousand years. In a way, to refuse to shed blood, yours or others, for such a noble cause as the liberation of the city seems to me to be a mockery and desecration of the memory and sacrifice of the thousands or millions who died in defence of the City. Surely if a million people gave their life in the defence of your or my country we would not regard the cause of its defence unworthy or unreasonable if a few thousand more must join their ranks to achieve it. Life is a great in precious gift, but there are a few causes that are worth more, liberty for one, whether the liberation of the City can be listed amongst these causes probably varies from person to person, but I would not say that the concept that some causes are more valuable than life is too far from the truth.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2006, 01:35:02 AM »

I would happily shed my own blood to return The City and Agia Sophia to the Church, GiC, as did many of her holy defenders.
But I will not kill other human beings for the sake of some bricks, stones and mortar.
Let them have The City- all we need is Christ and our souls. And it is this fact alone which makes Orthodox Christianity truly great.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 01:35:35 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2006, 01:56:07 AM »

I would happily shed my own blood to return The City and Agia Sophia to the Church, GiC, as did many of her holy defenders.
But I will not kill other human beings for the sake of some bricks, stones and mortar.
Let them have The City- all we need is Christ and our souls. And it is this fact alone which makes Orthodox Christianity truly great.

Well, as I said before your posistion is most certainly admirable; but I dont know that I could ever get used to the idea of being shot at and not shooting back, but then again I'm Scots-Irish, we're a people who tended to fight just for the hell of it and I can't say that, in this regard, my cultural upbringing varied much from my ancestors for thousands of years before me...lol.

I guess you can bring a barbarian to the Church but you can't civilize him Grin

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2006, 01:59:21 AM »

And we wouldn't have you any other way. Cheesy

In the Holy Monastery of Iveron on the Holy Mountain, near it's gate is the Chapel which houses the miraculous "Panagia Portaitissa" Icon. On the wall behind the Icon of the Theotokos Portaitissa is the fresco Icon of "Agios Barbaros" ("St. Barbarian"). He was the pirate who stabbed the Icon of the Theotokos Portaitissa in the neck, from which blood flowed which is visible to this day. On seeing the miracle, his remorse led him to enter the monastery where he took the name "Barbarian" and attained sanctity, and is now glorified as a Saint.
So you see, even Barbarians can be saved. Wink
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 11:01:52 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2006, 07:45:41 PM »

And they surely test our resolve to forgive them even 70x7 times.

http://www.hellenicgenocide.org

http://www.greece.org/genocide/quotes

Not so ancient history - in my lifetime, in fact.

(I have more graphic material, but this is a family site)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 07:47:03 PM by ΑριστÎÂà » Logged

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2006, 08:06:53 PM »

[quote author=Αριστοκλής link=topic=9493.msg129767#msg129767 date=1154216741]
And they surely test our resolve to forgive them even 70x7 times.

http://www.hellenicgenocide.org

http://www.greece.org/genocide/quotes

Not so ancient history - in my lifetime, in fact.

(I have more graphic material, but this is a family site)
[/quote]

Thanks for posting the links, distressing as they are.
This page: http://www.greece.org/genocide/quotes/q-he-smyrna-burn-14d-ship-buildings.html has the same copy of the photograph of the destruction of Smyrna that my Aunt Helen still has from the time they fled the city which I was telling you about.
I found it strangely comforting to find it posted on the Internet- possibly because it gives me a sense that at least someone in the world may witness what happened. I'm visiting Aunt Helen on Tuesday, so I'll take the laptop along and show her how the photograph she has kept all these years which held her personal pain is now visible for all the world to see. It may give her some comfort as well.

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2006, 05:58:48 AM »

Indeed, ozgeorge, I thought of you and her when I previewed the links before posting. Many did suffer for the Church, and many still do. The Turks, today's Turks, cannot continue to deny their own sordid history, especially when their attitudes today haven't really changed.

The soviets tried to revise history as well. Didn't work.

(Your signature is noted!)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 06:00:00 AM by ΑριστÎÂà » Logged

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2006, 08:01:30 AM »

[quote author=Αριστοκλής link=topic=9493.msg129804#msg129804 date=1154253528]
The Turks, today's Turks, cannot continue to deny their own sordid history, especially when their attitudes today haven't really changed.[/quote]

Yes they can, and in fact, under Turkey's "Article 301" it is illegal not to deny their sordid past. Even today as I write this, a Turkish born Professor of the University of Arizona is waiting to stand trail under "Article 301" for daring to mention the Armenian Genocide in a book (see this report from today's news).
Article 301 is being used by the Turkish Nationalists to prevent Turkey from entering the EU and to distance Turkey from the West. It has also been used to further oppress the Church in Turkey by silencing any protest.

Remember what Hitler said to encourage his commanding officers a week before the invaion of Poland? After instructing them to kill all Poles, men women and children, he concluded by assuring them: "Who remembers the extermination of the Armenians today?".......unfortunately, he was right.......

So combine Article 301 with the West "turning a blind eye" to the extermination of the Church in Turkey, and you have the perfect recipe for a complete genocide and the utter destruction of the Church of Constantinople.....which will also be forgotten by the rest of the world in some dust-covered history book which no one will read for decades......

But the Church's true City -the Heavenly Jerusalem- no one can take from Her!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 09:23:56 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2006, 11:23:34 AM »

The history revisors did not count on the Internet  Smiley

TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2006, 01:29:22 PM »

[quote author=Αριστοκλής link=topic=9493.msg129811#msg129811 date=1154273014]
The history revisors did not count on the InternetÂÂ  Smiley
[/quote]

What good is the internet if companies such as Google, Microsoft, and Yahoo agree to censor it by denying access to sites that governments decide their citizens shoud not have access to. And all for money.

Companies that do are co-conspirators in denying freedom to people. The profits from these agreements are tainted.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 01:58:14 PM by TomS » Logged
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2006, 01:49:56 PM »

Yes they can, and in fact, under Turkey's "Article 301" it is illegal not to deny their sordid past. Even today as I write this, a Turkish born Professor of the University of Arizona is waiting to stand trail under "Article 301" for daring to mention the Armenian Genocide in a book (see this report from today's news).
Article 301 is being used by the Turkish Nationalists to prevent Turkey from entering the EU and to distance Turkey from the West. It has also been used to further oppress the Church in Turkey by silencing any protest.

Remember what Hitler said to encourage his commanding officers a week before the invaion of Poland? After instructing them to kill all Poles, men women and children, he concluded by assuring them: "Who remembers the extermination of the Armenians today?".......unfortunately, he was right.......

So combine Article 301 with the West "turning a blind eye" to the extermination of the Church in Turkey, and you have the perfect recipe for a complete genocide and the utter destruction of the Church of Constantinople.....which will also be forgotten by the rest of the world in some dust-covered history book which no one will read for decades......

Amen, amen, amen.  Saw it firsthand in Turkey - the ultra-nationalists continue the evils of their fathers by failing to recognize the deaths of the innocent.

---------------------
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2006, 02:29:24 PM »

Are you sure you wouldn't like to see a few armoured columns cutting their way through turkey paying back the above mentioned debts with interest?

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2006, 06:50:52 PM »

Are you sure you wouldn't like to see a few armoured columns cutting their way through turkey paying back the above mentioned debts with interest?
Cheesy
Thanks, but no thanks my barbarian friend!  Wink
It would be better that we continue to be Christians.
The only One who has any right to judge and pay recompense to the Turks is the One Who also has the power to reward the millions of Christian Martyrs who died at the hands of the Turks. If you can't reward the Martyrs, don't punish the Turks.
It is the Islamists who seek their own recompense on Earth for their "martyrs". Let's show them how Christians behave instead. Wink
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 06:51:39 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2006, 07:36:24 PM »

From "The Lion in Winter"
Queen Eleanor Lectures her Sons on World Peace
(mp3 format)

Prince Richard:
A knife! He's got a knife!

Eleanor of Aquitaine:
Of course he has a knife! He's always has a knife. We all have knives!
It's 1183 and we're barbarians. How clear we make it!
Oh, my piglets, we are the origins of war -
not history's forces, nor the times, nor justice, nor the lack of it, nor causes, nor religions, nor ideas, nor kinds of government, nor any other thing.
        We are the killers.
        We breed wars.
        We carry it like syphilis inside. Dead bodies rot in field and stream because the living ones are rotten.
        For the love of God can't we love one another just a little?
        That's how peace begins.
        We have so much to love each other for.
        We have such possibilities, my children.
        We could change the world.

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2006, 08:02:20 PM »

Cheesy
Thanks, but no thanks my barbarian friend!ÂÂ  Wink

Well, thought I'd ask...just trying to be civil, polite, and all that stuff Wink
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 08:03:02 PM by greekischristian » Logged

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #84 on: July 31, 2006, 01:56:32 PM »

Yes, just like the Taliban (for our Turcophils here)

An accurate description.

Maybe the Turks will figure that out...naw...

Apostlos2

Faith: Christian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Mesogaea-Church of Greece

leiton = big public place with roof, ergon = work

« Reply #85 on: August 01, 2006, 11:59:30 AM »

The funny thing is that these actions against the Greeks, Armenians, and Kurds have been done by the "westernized" and "secularized" government that Attaturk dreamed of.  This secularized government, run by the military, also happens to be quite racist; at least the Ottomans classed us by religion

That is because the Power in the Governance infrastructure in Turkey is centered with the military, the beaureucratic establishment of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs & the Mafia-like 'deep state' (derim dövlet) 
http://www.justacitizen.org/articles_documents/Op-ed-The%20SecretsBehindStateSecrets.htm

This derim dövlet manipulates Turkey since the '50s. When the cold war started, NATO founded a network of secret organizations in W.Europe. These secret organizations, under the code name 'Stay Behind', had the mission to fight the reds, if & when these countries would have been confronted with the specter of a military occupation by the communists. In Italy, Greece & Turkey, these organizations, 'infiltrated' into the administation & shaped the country's policy. In Italy, this infamous organization was the 'Gladio', in Greece the 'Fleece' & in Turkey the 'Red Fleece'. Red Fleece, is directly responsible for 3 coups d'etat in Turkey (1967, 1971, 1980), for the actions against the Greeks of Constantinople in '55 (the 'Gestapo of Adnan Menderes' according to PM Inonu), and naturally, last but not least, the invasion of Cyprus     

And Paul standing in the midst of Areopagus said, Athenians, in every way I see you given up to the worship of God; for, passing through and beholding your shrines, I found also an altar on which was inscribed, To the unknown God. Whom therefore ye reverence, not knowing him, him I announce to you
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #86 on: August 01, 2006, 03:58:15 PM »

Apostolos,

Interesting article.  Thank you for the insight!

---------------------
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: