OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 09:35:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please help me out with this...  (Read 512 times) Average Rating: 0
kansas city

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

« on: July 10, 2006, 01:03:46 AM »

Alright, this may be a completely futile attempt at understanding this issue but...

My inquiry is regarding the insistences i've seen in Orthodox writings on the unrefinement of contemporary man, most notably contemporary American man. 

Ok, i wrote a long thing, but it was basically a rant, not that this is proving much better.  Why is nobility, refined tastes in art, music, literature, and physical demeanor so often discussed in orthodox writing?  I understand the benefits of the classics over our contemporary trash, but it seems quite elitist when i actually read these things.  i don't want to anotate names or specific writings, but it seems very 'bourgy' and uncompassionate. 

Again, its not the superiority of the material, but the scoffing presentation of these opinions.  Maybe i'm just unlucky enough to have found the few articles that do, and in such close proximity of time.

michael
ranting fool
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: