OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 27, 2014, 09:05:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fasting/mortification  (Read 1147 times) Average Rating: 0
Dismus
Elder

« on: July 10, 2006, 11:44:58 AM »

As the Orthodox fasting schedule is far and away different than the RCC fasting calandar it made me wonder if there are also different ways that fasting is looked at by both.
Does an Orthodox offer up these fastings for their own spriritual Theosis or can/do Orthodox also offer up these things in expiation for offenses against God, for the conversion of sinners, souls departed, the Church, etc.,,
Is this up to the individual?
I have in confession offered to take others penances along with my own to "help out the next guy in line",, can the Orthodox do this too?
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 11:53:53 AM »

As the Orthodox fasting schedule is far and away different than the RCC fasting calandar it made me wonder if there are also different ways that fasting is looked at by both.
Does an Orthodox offer up these fastings for their own spriritual Theosis or can/do Orthodox also offer up these things in expiation for offenses against God, for the conversion of sinners, souls departed, the Church, etc.,,
I have in confession offered to take others penances along with my own to "help out the next guy in line",, can the Orthodox do this too?

1.  Yes
2.  Yes...no to "expiation".
3.  Yes, fasting is up to the individual in the sense of general praxis, but this is more up to the individual under the guidance of one's father confessor/spritual father.
4.  I don't think so.
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 12:04:28 PM »

Yes, Catholic and Orthodox fasting are dissimilar.
An Orthodox fasts to make a positive step towards defeating the passions. It's not exactly an offering, but more like the taking of spiritual vitamins.
Um, fasting is not an offering in this sense. We offer OURSELVES, His own of His own, and not our efforts as sacrifice.
We don't penance in the same way as what you might have experienced, but even then, no, b/c in it's essence (if not in practice) RCC penance is supposed to help the penitent by making them spend time in prayer--so "taking" someone else's penance won't do them any good, as it would take away the medicine that would help them get better.

Qui cantat, bis orat
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 12:06:01 PM »

Try these beginning articles about Orthodox fasting...

http://www.goarch.org/en/ourfaith/articles/article8125.asp
http://www.antiochian.org/Orthodox_Church_Who_What_Where_Why/Why_Do_We_Fast_So_Often.htm
http://www.threehierarchs.org/lrecipes.html

Qui cantat, bis orat
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 07:02:22 PM »

It is also important to note that in the Orthodox Church one should not speak about Fasting without its two sisters Prayer and Almsgiving.  The churchfather's never note one without the other two in tow, they are a complete package. One without the other limits one's progress in fulling realizing Theosis and other spiritual progress. It goes beyond mortification to life changing.

In Christ,
Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Dismus
Elder

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 07:38:59 PM »

It is also important to note that in the Orthodox Church one should not speak about Fasting without its two sisters Prayer and Almsgiving.ÂÂ  The churchfather's never note one without the other two in tow, they are a complete package. One without the other limits one's progress in fulling realizing Theosis and other spiritual progress. It goes beyond mortification to life changing.

In Christ,
Thomas

Right on Thomas! You rock on this one!

"Fasting then, and lying on the bare ground, and keeping virginity, and a self denying life, these things bring their advantage to the persons themselves who do them; but those that pass from ourselves to our neighbors are almsgiving, teaching, charity. Hear then Paul in this matter also saying, 'Though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, I am nothing profiled" (St. John Chrysostom)

This was taken from the link Choirfriend... gave me earlier...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 07:39:48 PM by Dismus » Logged
Tags: fasting 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: