OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 10:14:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prayer Ropes  (Read 1092 times) Average Rating: 0
Dismus
Elder

« on: July 08, 2006, 08:34:37 PM »

Just wondering.
I have made Rosaries and had them blessed and sold them.
I checked to see if there were any restrictions/ rules first.
I was told there were none.

Can an Orthodox or non Orthodox make prayer ropes?
Licitly?
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 01:32:53 AM »

I always thought that anyone could make a prayer rope, but of course I could be wrong.  The knots, though, are supposedly very complicated and hard to do.  There is a video on how to do it, but I have never actually watched the video or tried to make a prayer rope.  Still, it may be interesting:

http://www.light-n-life.com/shopping/order_product.asp?ProductNum=HOWT179

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 08:52:38 AM »

I do not think there is anything to prevent one from properly making a prayer rope. I would stress that its manufacture and use should be under some spiritual guidance (IMHO). Personally I would prefer to obtain one from a monastery and give support to monks and nuns.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Dismus
Elder

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 12:02:51 PM »

[quote author=Αριστοκλής link=topic=9474.msg127349#msg127349 date=1152449558]
I do not think there is anything to prevent one from properly making a prayer rope. I would stress that its manufacture and use should be under some spiritual guidance (IMHO). Personally I would prefer to obtain one from a monastery and give support to monks and nuns.
[/quote]

I did not know that monks and nuns sold them.
I saw some in shops that also sold icons.
The link below also sells them.
I do not want to take $ away from the religious though. That would be counterproductive to the whole point.
Thanks.
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 11:44:20 PM »

The making of a prayer rope isÂÂ  a spiritual exercise and devotion, as is the writing of Icons.ÂÂ  It is not specifically limited to monastics but is seen as an approved activity of monastics.

The knot of theÂÂ  paryer rope is tied in a special manner in which 7 crosses are made in producing the knot. On each cross is said the prayer, "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have mercy on me a sinner" thus each KnotÂÂ  has seven prayers on it. If theÂÂ  prayer rope is being made for a certain person, often the name of the person is subsitituted forÂÂ  the word "me" making the prayer rope even more personal. While the most common producer of these prayer ropes available to the world at large are Orthodox Monasteries, I have known elderly people and disabled people who sit in their beds making paryer ropes for family, friends, and newly converted as a part of their own spiritual life.

To recieve the gift of a prayer rope is to recieve a bouquet of prayers from one who loves the Lord.

In Christ,
ThomasÂÂ  
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 11:45:37 PM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Tags: prayer prayer rope chotki 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: